Why am I not losing weight consistently ?

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    @rabbitjb My mission is to now recreate a graph like that in excel as I don't have a fitbit.

Have you got a phone .. download one of the apps .. they're pretty similar I think

But I'm pretty sure an insert line chart would solve it .. Line chart *loves me some excel*
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Akibo23 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You know weight fluctuates even when doing everything right...don't you?

Because water weight fluctuates based on sodium intake, glycogen stores, change-up in exercise, time of day, time of month

Look this is me, at maintenance, over the last 3 months...I know how to do this, I've been at it over a year, I know my logging is accurate and my understanding of my body and calorie burns is good because I have months of accurate data that I have used (and a couple of fitness toys)

This is how it works ...black dots actual weigh ins...going up, going down ...but it's the trend over time that matters ...we don't have a scale weight ...we have a scale weight range

7xquyn5sx97f.jpg

I am planning on getting this out of my fitbit too ! Hopefully that can motivate me to stay on track and not fall off the good habits due to numbers not being what i would like them to be :sweat: Just impatience !

@Akibo23 .. just sign up to Trendweight and link it and all your data will flow across (assuming your fitbit is linked to MFP you can just enter weights in MFP

easy
  • Akibo23
    Akibo23 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    @Akibo23 .. just sign up to Trendweight and link it and all your data will flow across (assuming your fitbit is linked to MFP you can just enter weights in MFP

easy

Will check this out soon ! Just got mine a few days ago. :)
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    @rabbitjb My mission is to now recreate a graph like that in excel as I don't have a fitbit.

You don't need a Fitbit. You just need to have a Fitbit account. Once you have an account you click on Log > Weight > scroll down to the bottom of the page and enter your weight. Then you create an account on Trendweight.com. Then Trendweight will synch with your Fitbit account.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    peterjens wrote: »

You don't need a Fitbit. You just need to have a Fitbit account. Once you have an account you click on Log > Weight > scroll down to the bottom of the page and enter your weight. Then you create an account on Trendweight.com. Then Trendweight will synch with your Fitbit account.

that's clever
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    k65by9td0jmb.jpg

Like everyone said. It's not linear. I saw the fitbit post of the person maintaining. I thought I would show you mine as well since I am trying to lose. As you can see, I am regularly going down. But I occasionally go up and sometimes will go a week without the scale changing then lose like 5 lbs the next. And I eat well and work hard at losing. Just be patient and keep at it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - do you use a food scale? Do you eat back 100% of exercise calories? Finally, weight loss is not linear….
  • Akibo23
    Options
    JMC3Terp wrote: »
    k65by9td0jmb.jpg

Like everyone said. It's not linear. I saw the fitbit post of the person maintaining. I thought I would show you mine as well since I am trying to lose. As you can see, I am regularly going down. But I occasionally go up and sometimes will go a week without the scale changing then lose like 5 lbs the next. Just be patient and keep at it.

Thank you for the graphical post :) It is motivating. I am hoping to maintain my exercise regimen and diet! Fingers crossed I will succeed ..
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Do you eat back 100% of exercise calories?

I ask out of curiosity. Are you suggesting that a problem could be that she doesn't eat back all of her exercise calories?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    peterjens wrote: »
    [You don't need a Fitbit. You just need to have a Fitbit account. Once you have an account you click on Log > Weight > scroll down to the bottom of the page and enter your weight. Then you create an account on Trendweight.com. Then Trendweight will synch with your Fitbit account.

You don't even have to log your weight. Create a Fitbit account, and connect it to MFP at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit (MFP will send your weight automatically to Fitbit.) Then go to http://trendweight.com (it's free), and connect your Fitbit account.

I love Trendweight! Unlike MFP's "in five weeks" nonsense, it's been 100% accurate for me. It plots a moving average of your weight without the "noise" from water weight. I lost the weight & have successfully maintained for a year thanks to MFP, Fitbit + TW.
  • Akibo23
    Options
    OP - do you use a food scale? Do you eat back 100% of exercise calories? Finally, weight loss is not linear….

I use a food scale and measure or label scan close to everything that I consume.

As you can see in my diary I am sticking to 1200-1100 cal a day even with my exercise loss of 400 cal a day 4 -5 times a week. Hence, I am not eating back calories earned by my exercising.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I ask out of curiosity. Are you suggesting that a problem could be that she doesn't eat back all of her exercise calories?

if she eats back 100% then she may be eating more than she tihnks because most calorie burn estimates tend to be wrong on the high side…

those are always my first two questions to someone who feels they are not progressing because it seems 99% of the time it is some combination of eating back 100% of exercise calories + no food scale.

• ndj1979
    Options

I use a food scale and measure or label scan close to everything that I consume.

As you can see in my diary I am sticking to 1200-1100 cal a day even with my exercise loss of 400 cal a day 4 -5 times a week. Hence, I am not eating back calories earned by my exercising.

so you are netting 700 to 800 calories a day? how long have you been doing that for?
  • Akibo23
    Options

Yes I measure almost everything that i consume or I scan labels.
    No I do not eat 100% of cal lost due to exercise as is visible in my diary :) I am maintaining 4-5 workouts each of 400 cal loss while sticking to 1200-1100cal a day intake..
  • Akibo23
    Options

so you are netting 700 to 800 calories a day? how long have you been doing that for?

Precisely! Been a month now.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

That she does.

• ndj1979
    Options

you need to net 1200. So if you burn 400, and that is accurate, then you should eat 1600 - 400 = 1200 net. If that is not an accurate estimate then only eat back half.

if you keep netting below 1200 calories then your metabolism is going to slow down, at some point. Adaptive thermogenesis ….
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    You're not losing weight consistently because you're human. If you're not human then maybe you outfit to speak to our Lizard overlords as to what's going wrong.
  • Akibo23
    Options

you need to net 1200. So if you burn 400, and that is accurate, then you should eat 1600 - 400 = 1200 net. If that is not an accurate estimate then only eat back half.

if you keep netting below 1200 calories then your metabolism is going to slow down, at some point. Adaptive thermogenesis ….

Words said by many. Let me eat more - more than willing to do so :) And I shall see how it progresses. Thanks a lot
  • Akibo23
    Options
    You're not losing weight consistently because you're human. If you're not human then maybe you outfit to speak to our Lizard overlords as to what's going wrong.

Might just have to contact them then :) OR stay put and enjoy being human !