Chocolate substitutes

Options
124»

Replies

• kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    For those taking magnesium supplements, what strength do u take? Also, has any one tried the Chocolate that Aldi sells?? It's amazing. ...I'm with the others who say there is no substitute for the real thing. ..make it fit..
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Aldi's chocolate is great - Moser Roth brand, anyway. Their 85% chocolate comes handily separately packaged in 5 x 25g portions, which reduces the chances of me 'accidentally' breaking off uneven pieces from a single large bar and going 'oh well, needs eating'!!! ;) Plus, lovely tasting chocolate - it's won all sorts of awards. It's become my go-to chocolate treat.
  • stargirl85
    stargirl85 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Maybe particularly small choc bars. Also soya choc yogurts. You might want to think about is it the crunch you want, the creaminess or both? As for me drinking chocolate/cocoa wouldn't do it/satisfy craving.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Yogi Mayan Cocoa Spice Tea with milk & sugar

"Splurge" on the diet hot chocolate, find one that's at least 50 calories. The 25 calorie one looks like a science experiment.....it never mixes together (just weird).

I like chocolate PB2 mixed in vanilla Greek yogurt.

Chocolate shredded wheat is good too.

Ghiradelli dark chocolate squares. These babies are individually wrapped. More chocolate ...... less sugar.

I keep hearing about this diet hot chocolate what is it?

Swiss Miss Sensible Sweets Diet.....I just kept stirring and stirring......but it never mixes. It looks so weird with the chocolate just kind of suspended there in the water
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Yogi Mayan Cocoa Spice Tea with milk & sugar

"Splurge" on the diet hot chocolate, find one that's at least 50 calories. The 25 calorie one looks like a science experiment.....it never mixes together (just weird).

I like chocolate PB2 mixed in vanilla Greek yogurt.

Chocolate shredded wheat is good too.

Ghiradelli dark chocolate squares. These babies are individually wrapped. More chocolate ...... less sugar.

I keep hearing about this diet hot chocolate what is it?

Swiss Miss Sensible Sweets Diet.....I just kept stirring and stirring......but it never mixes. It looks so weird with the chocolate just kind of suspended there in the water

I put a little bit of super hot water and add the packet, then slowly add more water and keep stirring. It's definitely not the best, but did help me get through a cut i was struggling with. Full disclosure, I top with fat free redi whip (5-10 calories). I got used to it and actually enjoyed it.

When I'm eating at maintenance, I generally do not drink it
  • karenalyssa9
    karenalyssa9 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate and I don't deny myself its loveliness. I make it healthy by adding 1/2 tbp of Trader Joe's Unsweetened Cocoa Powder to 4 oz of almond milk or 1/2 c of ice cold water, and 1/2 a frozen banana (sliced). Blend together and it's a delicious naturally sweet chocolate treat!ehybyc2slal5.jpg
    cup.jpg 71.4K
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Aldi's chocolate is great - Moser Roth brand, anyway. Their 85% chocolate comes handily separately packaged in 5 x 25g portions, which reduces the chances of me 'accidentally' breaking off uneven pieces from a single large bar and going 'oh well, needs eating'!!! ;) Plus, lovely tasting chocolate - it's won all sorts of awards. It's become my go-to chocolate treat.

I have to agree with this. Their dark chocolate chili pepper is freakin life changing.
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    No substitute but I work a little in here and there. I love trader joes dark chocolate espresso beans. Just 4 which isn't much for my overall macros does the trick. Love them.
  • tashie1990
    tashie1990 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i find the Nakd cocoa delight bars are great. pure fruit and nut with cocoa powder, defo hits that chocolate craving
  • newfutures
    newfutures Posts: 113 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Small preportioned bits of really good high quality chocolate. The better the chocolate the less I seem to need to feel satisfied. However I am sucker for milk chocolate Hershey kisses. I love them. Adore them. Nothing I can do about those except to make them fit my day.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    No substitute... I buy high-quality chocolate chips (Scharffen Berger, Guittard, Callebaut). Depending on the variety, 15 grams has ~80 calories--enough chocolate to curb my craving, but not too much damage calorie-wise.
  • cristydaisylove
    cristydaisylove Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like mixing cottage cheese with cocoa powder and a little splenda. Or use a banana or peaches in place of the sweetener. Tastes a little like cheesecake and gives ya protein. Yummy.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    The only substitute for chocolate is *more* chocolate.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    CHOCOLATE!
  • checkmatekingtwo
    checkmatekingtwo Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Sprinkle some dark cocoa over a couple tablespoons of whipped cream. Yum, yum! Not many calories and it satiates the chocolate craving.
  • kitkatkarr
    kitkatkarr Posts: 97 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    yummy sheila's brownie brittles. 28grams for 120 calories
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    kjurassic wrote: »
    For those taking magnesium supplements, what strength do u take? Also, has any one tried the Chocolate that Aldi sells?? It's amazing. ...I'm with the others who say there is no substitute for the real thing. ..make it fit..

I take 2-3 capsules of 150 mg magnesium citrate per week. I started taking it to deal with cramps. Not menstrual cramps but "my calf is about to rip itself in two" cramps when I would work out. Magnesium and lots of water keep them away. I have stopped the magnesium a couple times (forgetful, lol) and within 2-3 weeks cramps start coming back again.

I haven't noticed any impact on my chocolate cravings. What has had an impact is active culture foods (kefir, sauerkraut, kombucha). I need very little chocolate to satisfy a craving now. And I stick to high quality stuff (lindt, cote d'or...)

What helps immensely is keeping the chocolate out of sight and making it harder to get at it (behind other things in the cupboard.) But yeah, I plan a few pieces in my weekly meal plan here and there :)
  • Blondie9292
    Blondie9292 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Atkins chocolate it's low in sugar and of course carbs to and it's so good!
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    6 M&Ms before bed. I am an absolute chocoholic. My first word was literally chocolate (you can ask my mom). It is the one thing that I cannot give up. I also did some chocolate flavored protein shakes as snack replacements to kill the chocolate milk craving.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Oh and I forgot Arctic Zero chocolate icecream 150 calories a pint. I think I need to go eat some.