Weight Loss Help

Options
2»

Replies

• pigbox
    pigbox Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to pile on but I do love the "no diet BS" rule and how consistently the community re-enforces it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    katie16022 wrote: »
    How long has it been?
    Are you weighing your food?

You can open your diary by going into settings>diary settings

It's been quite a while...maybe a year. No I don't weigh my food. It's like, I lose 5 lbs, then it comes back like 1 month later
    You are not losing weight because, although you may be eating healthy, you are eating your maintenance calories.

Here's what you need to do:

-Purchase a food scale. They're under $15 most places. Weigh all solids. Use measuring cups for caloric liquids.
    -Use correct entries. If you cook, use the recipe builder.
    -Eat all of the calories MFP gives you + at least half of exercise calories. It is important that you eat enough (even if you feel fine) because symptoms like extreme fatigue and hair loss do not show up until you have been undereating for months. If you're not hungry, don't force yourself to eat today--but don't make a habit of it.

That's the problem though, I eat a little and then I'm not hungry. Plus, I eat less then the size serving amount. Not to mention that I am a vegetarian. Thank for your advice. I'll see if I can purchase a scale
    Eat beans, nuts, eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    willaliva wrote: »
    Another possibility could be that your body has gone into "starvation-mode" where it keeps all of the calories that it can get and if you the. Overeat the slightest it will also store those calories as fat. The way out of starvation-mode is way tougher than actually loosing weight. Maybe you'll have to eat more frequently, like 6 times a day (smaller meals of course) or the opposite - you have to have three set times so that you always eat at the same time every day. You have to make sure that you're not putting too much stress on your body, so go to bed at the same time every night and make sure that you get at least 8 hours of sleep :-) I have three alarms set on my phone every day: one for lunch, one for dinner and one for when I should be going to bed :-)

Ah the crazy is strong with this one. I hope you are joking. STARVATION MODE IS A MYTH - YOUR BODY DOES NOT CARE WHEN IT GETS CALORIES - UNICORNS ARE NOT REAL - THERE IS NO MAGIC FORMULA - DR OZ LIES
  • willaliva
    willaliva Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow guys easy, I think that is a matter of belief. It's proven that when you restric your calories for a long period of time, your metabolism slows down. This is what starvation mode is... This is also why the 5:2 diet exists and many people believe that it's a good idea to take a break from your diet once in a while. But to directly blame it as false? I've read very different things about this matter but also tried it on my own body after a surgery where I lost so much weight because I simply couldn't eat at all, and when I then started eating again (HEALTHY) I gained 4 kg in two weeks.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @willaliva here's an interesting article on " starvation mode "

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Wow guys easy, I think that is a matter of belief. It's proven that when you restric your calories for a long period of time, your metabolism slows down. This is what starvation mode is... This is also why the 5:2 diet exists and many people believe that it's a good idea to take a break from your diet once in a while. But to directly blame it as false? I've read very different things about this matter but also tried it on my own body after a surgery where I lost so much weight because I simply couldn't eat at all, and when I then started eating again (HEALTHY) I gained 4 kg in two weeks.

Sorry but you can't believe in something so hard it becomes true ...cos science

If only it were though ...I would be Mrs Hugh Jackman and have a pet flying unicorn

(Metabolic slow down is adaptive thermogenisis, it may slow down calorie burn but if you eat at a defecit you will never stop losing weight until you die. 5:2 works as it controls calorie intake)

Post surgery weight gain as proof ..restoring your glycogen levels means restoring your body's natural water levels
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Can we focus on me being Mrs Hugh Jackman for a moment though :bigsmile:
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Have you seen Mrs Hugh jackman? I'd rather be me :p

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Holding on to fat/weight (your idea of starvation mode) is not the same as your metabolism dropping due to prolonged intake of low calories. 5:2 has nothing to do with starvation mode, it's just a way of creating a deficit.

"Healthy " eating in the context of weightloss is ridiculous. You can't eat unlimited" healthy " food and lose weight. Or maintain weight. You still need to apply CICO. You gained weight after surgery because you ate food, retained water and probably ate too much.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I really need some advice about weight lost. I'm an athlete, I eat extremely healthy, but I don't seem to be losing any weight. It's starting to get really frustrating. I don't know what else to do. When I tried to complete my journal entry for the day, it wouldn't complete it because I ate "too little." Is there something wrong with my body? Help please and thank you :):'(

MFP%20Flowchart%20lemonlionheart_zps3s3xqead.jpg
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

woowoo_zpsffqbzb5f.gif

Good old starvation mode. Because no-one ever dies from famine.

• Sued0nim
    edited June 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Have you seen Mrs Hugh jackman? I'd rather be me :p

Yeah

I also have my suspicions she's actually a beard so ...

But still

tumblr_m5zmgyNCqM1rooebp.gif