-.-

Options
RosieLoo24
RosieLoo24 Posts: 25 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So I've just finished school, and not going to uni or anything at the moment, and right now, I just feel so bored and empty. My friends have all moved away and gone to uni, and I'm just kinda stuck here. I feel that because of this, all my weightloss plans have gone out the window. I pretty much live on 2 minute noodles these days, which I eat in my bed. Can any body please help me get out of this rut?

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need some goals, something to work for. Are you employed? Are you planning on going to school? What do you want to do?
  • RosieLoo24
    Options
    I have a job, at macdonalds of all places, and I really hate it. I live in a small community, so that, combined with being unskilled, is making it so hard for me to find another job.

I want to become a teachers aide, but I'm not starting my course for another 6 months
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Well, at least there is some comfort in knowing your situation is unpleasant, but temporary. I would suggest you begin setting some reasonable, specific goals for yourself. It may be something as simple as drinking a set amount of water every day for a week. Those small accomplishments might help encourage you on to bigger and better things.
  • loopingcaterpillar
    loopingcaterpillar Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    you need a hobby of some kind, when i had a lot of time to kill i took up knitting, crocheting, dressmaking, cross stitching, mfp, researching my family tree and i already read and cooked. the hobbies i wanted to do but didn't get round to were writing, swimming and making fimo models.
    there's loads to do but you need to go find something you love
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Soooo...why are you working an unskilled job? Get your butt in an apprenticeship program or trade training if you aren't going to go to school, or start a business. McD's is no future. The managers make almost nothing.

Why do you want to be a teacher's aide and not a teacher? Teacher's aides typically make less than 20k a year because they're paid hourly. They usually have to work multiple jobs.
  • RosieLoo24
    Options
    you need a hobby of some kind, when i had a lot of time to kill i took up knitting, crocheting, dressmaking, cross stitching, mfp, researching my family tree and i already read and cooked. the hobbies i wanted to do but didn't get round to were writing, swimming and making fimo models.
    there's loads to do but you need to go find something you love

Ive actually been thinking that I need to find something to do. I just don't know what. I've never really had a hobby before; I might find someone really fun one day, and then never pick it up again because when I think of it, I don't think it sounds interesting
  • RosieLoo24
    Options
    Soooo...why are you working an unskilled job? Get your butt in an apprenticeship program or trade training if you aren't going to go to school, or start a business. McD's is no future. The managers make almost nothing.

Why do you want to be a teacher's aide and not a teacher? Teacher's aides typically make less than 20k a year because they're paid hourly. They usually have to work multiple jobs.

I have no intention of staying at maccas, don't worry about that.

Honestly? I'm 18. I did want to be a teacher last month, then a vet the month before that, then a nurse the month before that. A teachers aide is just this months muse. I actually have no idea what I want to do haha
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Can you do some volunteer work? at a charity second-hand shop, or aged care facility, or community centre? Do you have a community theatre nearby? I used to do community theatre and it is so rewarding, and exhausting! You don't need to be on stage, I was a stage manager and did all the backstage bits.
  • RosieLoo24
    Options
    wrote: »

Hahaha this made me feel better
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend volunteer work; I've done loads, from promoting bands on behalf of record labels and organizing gigs, to conservation work and assisting young offenders on their community service. Not only was it rewarding, fun and challenging, but i learnt a lot of new skills, it looks great on a CV, plus getting to experience lots of different things helped me realize what i wanted/didn't want out of a job/career. :)
  • Rimfakse
    Rimfakse Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Get out, walk for 30 min a day. A bit of exercise will make you feel better about yourself. Can you possibly move to a bigger city where finding another job would be easier? A new start might be just what you need :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sounds like depression.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    How about taking up a Team Sport.....maybe join a Girl's Netball team or something (i'm guessing you're from the UK from your "Macca's" comment ;) ).
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If you are thinking about a career either as a teacher or a teacher's aide why don't you look around for an opportunity to work with kids. Maybe volunteer as a tutor or at some kind of summer camp. It will give you something to do and give you a taste of what dealing with kids daily is like.

Or look for other opportunities to volunteer to do good. Read to or visit people in nursing homes, work in a food pantry or other charity that needs help. Sounds like you're in the UK, is there Habitat for Humanity or something like it there? Or you mentioned being interested in being a vet, my sister in law is very involved in an animal rescue orginization. Maybe something like that would intrest you. I bet somewhere in your area someone is doing something good for others and those people almost always need help. Nothing gets you out of your own head like doing something for others.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    RosieLoo24 wrote: »

I have no intention of staying at maccas, don't worry about that.

Honestly? I'm 18. I did want to be a teacher last month, then a vet the month before that, then a nurse the month before that. A teachers aide is just this months muse. I actually have no idea what I want to do haha

If you go to a four year university the first two years are a variety of core classes. They may help you identify what you would like to do with your life that will also allow you to be self sufficient. You will also meet all kinds of different people and have fun experiences. Financial aide and scholarships are available if you have trouble footing the bill. Schools also have career planning to help people who are undecided like yourself. It will also get you out of bed and out of the house ;)
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Try to get a job at a local gym; not only will the membership most likely be free, but you'll meet really cool people with healthy goals! Ever since I started going to the gym I was amazed at how long I could spend my day there, how much better I felt physically and mentally, and all the inspiring people who were super nice! The employees there are always having fun and seem incredibly happy; my one friend works there and says he loves it. Might be worth looking in to, and this is coming from a girl who once loathed any form of physical activity ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Can you do some volunteer work? at a charity second-hand shop, or aged care facility, or community centre? Do you have a community theatre nearby? I used to do community theatre and it is so rewarding, and exhausting! You don't need to be on stage, I was a stage manager and did all the backstage bits.

Another vote for volunteer work. Also try libraries, hospital, and animal shelters.

Also voting for walking. You sound depressed, and exercise can actually be more effective than antidepressants for depression.

• Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Most 18 year olds have no clue what they want to follow as a career path, it's difficult for sure. Volunteer, do a few aptitude tests to find where your interests lay and then if you still can't decide, start off in general/humanities to just learn and explore different areas of interest until you figure out what you want to do. Don't pigeon-hole yourself into a dead end job that will ultimately make you miserable. Use your experience at McD's and take advantage of their scholarship/bursary programs! Find the small things that makes you feel positive! Go out for walks! Sing! Dance! Anything but lazing in bed eating crap noodles. Only you can make changes to yourself out of this rut.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Can you do some volunteer work? at a charity second-hand shop, or aged care facility, or community centre?

This. Perhaps a food bank in your town where you can help out? It always uplifts your spirit to get out and do something positive for other people, because the rewards and benefits that *you* end up getting are things you just can't buy.