June 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Aresende90
    Aresende90 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I haven't been doing as well as I wanted this month, but it's ok. I have been making an effort, and there is a new month around the corner! I also made a new PR this past fathers day, 26:10 5k race in the pouring rain...so there's that :). Also, my husky puppies turned 1 this month, which means I can finally start really running with them! Yay for new running partners! My boyfriend, who doesn't run, but is at every finish line with them cheering me on wants to do a race as a "pack"..haha.. so now we are all signed up for a dog oriented 5k in September. It's called Run to the Rescue! Benefits will go to a local humane society :) I'm so excited! Here's a picture of them! We have a little training to do! Any tips on running with your pooch?

gx7la3nsjcj6.jpg
    k1aiyfxf0num.jpg

exercise.png

• annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    @Aresende90 stupid non dog owner question. Is it just that your dogs are huskies why you couldn't run with them before they were a year? Or is it better to wait until a dog is out of puppy hood before you start running with them? Just wondering. I've owned dogs as a child but not as an adult so I'm a bit clueless. Especially as I didn't run as a child.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 5 miles
    6/2 - 5.3 miles
    6/3 - 3.2 miles
    6/4 - 4.4 miles
    6/5 - 2.3 miles
    6/6 - 1.6 miles - rest day today but did this to keep the 41 Days of Awesome challenge streak going
    6/7 - 7 miles - I'm so proud of this run it was at 10:21 pace, which is fast for me - I was comfortable the whole run
    6/8 - 4.4 miles
    6/9 - 5.8 miles
    6/10 - 1.6 miles - rest day today - just keeping the 41 Days of Awesome challenge alive. I'm trying to do this mile at a faster than normal pace for me. Then I grabbed Macy and took her for a 2 mile walk.
    6/11 - 6 miles
    6/12 - 4.7 miles
    6/13 - 4.6 miles
    6/14 - 9.6 miles very hot miles. I think it was about 83 when I went to run. Went to the Greenway to be in the shade. Sweat was dripping off my shorts by the time I was done. I was ticked I couldn't run the whole 10 miles so I went back out after getting my water for a fast paced .6 mile walk.
    6/15 - 1.6 miles - keeping the 41 Days of Awesome challenge alive
    6/16 - 5.6 miles
    6/17 - 3.2 miles -short run, had to get Macy to groomer by 7:00
    6/18 - 7.4 miles my virtual run for State Trooper Dees.
    6/19 - 1.6 miles for the streak and strolled a couple with the Macy after
    6/20 – 3.1 miles 5K race for Big Brothers/Big Sisters – PR’d with a 28:57.4 for 3.16 miles – finished 3rd in my AG and 79th out of 273 runners. 9:10 pace – ran 9:06, 9:19, 9:11
    6/21 – 5.7 miles
    6/22 - 5.5 miles
    6/23 - 3.5 miles
    6/24 - 4.4 miles
    6/25 - 7.4 miles
    6/26 - 1.6 miles for my streak for 41 days of awesome - then some quality time walking Macy :smile:27
    6/27 - 4.5 miles - goal - awful run awful too the point of stopping at 1.7 miles to throw up - ugh! It started to rain which help me feel better, got home walked Macy, took a shower and feel fine now.

120.7 out of 120 miles

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Aresende90 wrote: »
    Ok, so I haven't been doing as well as I wanted this month, but it's ok. I have been making an effort, and there is a new month around the corner! I also made a new PR this past fathers day, 26:10 5k race in the pouring rain...so there's that :). Also, my husky puppies turned 1 this month, which means I can finally start really running with them! Yay for new running partners! My boyfriend, who doesn't run, but is at every finish line with them cheering me on wants to do a race as a "pack"..haha.. so now we are all signed up for a dog oriented 5k in September. It's called Run to the Rescue! Benefits will go to a local humane society :) I'm so excited! Here's a picture of them! We have a little training to do! Any tips on running with your pooch?

gx7la3nsjcj6.jpg
    k1aiyfxf0num.jpg

exercise.png

Oh my what beautiful dogs! Are they huskies or akitas? I don't have any running tips. Mine aren't even leash trained. There are a few here that will be of help.

Great idea on the pack run!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for May
    6/1 10.6 miles - 10.6
    6/2 10 miles - 20.6
    6/3 6.2 miles - 26.8
    6/4 6.2 miles - 33
    6/5 6.55 miles - 39.55
    6/6 15 miles - 54.55
    6/7 REST DAY
    6/8 9.6 miles - 64.15
    6/9 10.3 - 74.45
    6/10 8 miles - 82.45
    6/11 8 miles - 90.45
    6/12 6.2 miles - 96.65
    6/13 15 miles - 111.65
    6/14 REST DAY
    6/15 10.5 miles - 122.15
    6/16 10 miles - 132.15
    6/17 8.2 miles - 140.35
    6/18 8 miles - 148.35
    6/19 REST DAY
    6/20 15 miles - 163.35
    6/21 REST DAY
    6/22 REST DAY
    6/23 6.2 miles - 169.55
    6/24 REST DAY
    6/25 REST DAY
    6/26 REST DAY
    6/27 10.07 miles - 179.62 <<< Firecracker Chase 10 mile Race

exercise.png

Still a bit sore, but the rest helped a lot. Disappointed a little since I could have placed in my AG if I wasn't dealing with glute and hammy problems.

11356561_472682509576590_1448092386_n.jpg

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    June 1 - 5.1 miles
    June 2 - strength training
    June 3 - 5.3 miles
    June 4 - strength training
    June 5 - 5.35 miles
    June 6 -34 mile bike ride
    June 7 - 42 mile bike ride
    June 8 - 2 miles
    June 9 - Strength Training and Yoga class
    June 10 - 6.63 miles -
    June 11 - rest day
    June 12 - 3.21 miles - easy run; strength training
    June 13- 34 mile bike ride
    June 14 - 5.3 miles
    June 15 - 3.3 miles
    June 16 - strength training
    June 17 - 7.03 miles - farthest run ever!
    June 18 - rest day
    June 19 - strength training
    June 20 - 34 mile bike ride
    June 21 - 6.71 miles
    June 22 - rest
    June 23 - strength training
    June 24 - 8.01 - new farthest run. :)
    June 25 - supposed to be strength but trainer cancelled. :(
    June 26 - 5.5 miles
    June 27 - 34 mile bike ride

exercise.png

@Stoshew71 - nice job!
    @jorocka - belly dancing- very cool! Good idea to wear sunblock all the time. My dermatologist says I shouldn't walk to the mailbox without sunblock. I always do my face but this morning I somehow completely forgot it on my legs/arms and rode bikes for 2 hours. ugh!
    @skippygirlsmom - that's awful. I'm so amazed you could run after that!
    @Aresende90 - adorable! I don't know about running with dogs but the great people here will!
    @JimCrackinDandy - lol, love the dog pics.

Have a good weekend everyone! I've got two days left to run in June so I should be okay to meet goal!
  • Aresende90
    Aresende90 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Oh my what beautiful dogs! Are they huskies or akitas? I don't have any running tips. Mine aren't even leash trained. There are a few here that will be of help.

Great idea on the pack run! [/quote]

They are both Siberian Huskies :)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    The second one was a practice 5k at 10pm and I'm VERY happy to say that I ran it faster (9:53) than my previous PR (10:06), and I was feeling pretty good after this one, not dying like the last one. I think I'm ready for my real 5K race this weekend. Considering I'll be fresh for that one, I'm hoping for 9:45.

BOO-YA!!!! - Finished with a pace of 9:44, chip time of 30:13.45!
    Though I didn't feel like I was running well, and it felt hot (was 66F, so not too bad, but no shade), I managed to make my goal.

I wore my Forerunner 305, not to pace myself, but to gather data, (and to sneak peaks at my pace), but I ran based on my effort. The FR tells me my average HR was 169, and max was 184. It sure didn't seem like I was working that hard. I would have guessed my average HR was 158 to 160. And 184 for a max? The formula of 205 minus half my age tells me my max HR is 181. Now I'm compelled to do some hill runs to see just how high I can get it.

I may go for a short run tonight yet, after it cools down. Kody is looking at me with a bit of resentment for not taking him today.

i3e11kwxadrm.jpeg

@Aresende90 , beautiful dogs! When it cools down I'm going to try to find a dog-friendly 5k for Kody & I. A few tips...a lot of these are common sense so you probably already know them, but,
    • Start with shorter distances and gradually build up your runs. Huskys are the boss at long distance *kitten*-kicking runs, but they'll be new so take it easy and build up, just like you did.
    • Dogs don't sweat so they have to cool by breathing which isn't as efficient as sweating. Because of that, I always bring water for Kody, or make sure we're running near water, so I can cool him down.
    • I don't run with Kody if it's over 70 degrees. He's got a thick coat for a lab.
    • Bring plenty of poop bags! RUnning makes Kody poop more often. It's not unusual for me to use 4 bags on a run, though those last couple of bags don't have much in them. because of that, I also try to run where I know there will be garbage cans because who wants to run with bags of poop? Not me.
    • Bring water! I know I said that before, but it's really important. I either bring a collapsible bowl with me or a think that looks like a scoop that clips on to a disposable water bottle. I bought both on Ebay for very little. The scoop seems to work best for drinking, but I prefer carrying the collapsible bowl. I'll probably settle on the scoop. They work really well with the push/pull sport cap things because you can tip them upside down and just squirt out a bit at a time so you're not wasting water.
    • Pay close attention to your dogs and if you see any sign of getting too tired, slow down, walk, or find some shade. Your training takes a back seat to your dog's health (but you already knew that).
    • If you haven't already, work on obedience. A dog that gets distracted by squirrels, rabbits, other dogs, kids, bikes, etc, is one that is difficult to run with. Dogs need to run at your side and pay attention to you and your turns. At 1 year old, Kody would NOT have been a good running partner. It takes time to get to that point. You just have to be patient.
    • No retractable leashes. I prefer a lightweight 4' leash.
    • Bring water! I just can't stress this enough.

Gotta go, great running, everyone!!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    And THANK YOU for all the support here! It definitely helped my time!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    6/1 rest
    6/2 -2.25 hot sore miles, Reformer Pilate's
    6/3- rest
    6/4- doc visit. Resting SIJ
    6/5- 4.60
    6/6- rest
    6/7- 3.74 hot,medicine trots :O
    6/8- rest,stretch
    6/9- 3.20 (HI 100°) will try to get in a cooler evening run too.
    6/10- swim
    6/11 -  3.85 medicine trots again
    6/12 - 5.34 better!
    6/13 - rest/yard work
    6/14 - 7.93
    6/15 -  SIJ injection
    6/16 - sore
    6/17  -(rain)
    6/18  - 4.54
    6/19 - swim
    6/20- rest/yard work
    6/21- 7.03
    6/22- rest
    6/23- wow! too sore from yard work
    6/24- 3.23 HI 100 again.
    6/25- 4.52
    6/26- rest
    6/27- 5.41

55.65/60+

@skippygirlsmom oh man! Was it heat that got to you? I've only puked once after exercise in the heat. That was 25 years ago after tennis practice. No bueno.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    @Aresende90 - beautiful puppies!
    With my guy I waited until he was 18 mo to start running with him at the advice of my vet but it may have just been because of his breed. Before that though I started working with him on leash on walks. I kept the leash short so he was right next to me and had kibble in my hand closest to him. If he walked right with me he got a treat. The better he did the more he got and over time I weaned him off the treats. When we first started running we did have a couple of spills (me not him) where he crossed in front of me to see another dog or after a rabbit. Now he stays right with me and will point at the rabbits, birds and lizards as we are running. I agree with @7lenny7 on everything and especially the water and no retractable leashes. We have doggy drinking fountains along our trail but on longer runs I always take a bottle of water. Hobbes has learned to drink when I squirt the water so it works for both of us. I use a Kurgo waist leash that I love as it allows my hands to be free and can be adjusted to different lengths. I make sure to watch him for signs that he is getting too hot, even if I am not. I have taken water and wet him down, especially on his ears, belly and hind leg area to cool him down when I have been concerned.

I have run a couple of races with him (also for doggy charities) and they were really fun. The only caution I would have is if yours are like mine they may want to run really fast to catch up to the dogs and people in front of them. I like to joke that I got my 5k PR because he was pulling me the entire way!

@annekka - You have to wait to run with puppies on leash because it can damage their growth plates and cause them lots of problems with their backs, hips and legs as they get older. When we run them on leash they typically don't go as fast as they might off leash but they also don't get to stop whenever they want or need to.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - I am so sorry you had such a miserable experience! I am glad you are feeling better though! Tomorrow's run I am sure, will be much better! Also - congrats on hitting your goal (on your bad run too)!!!
    @Stoshew71 - Congratulations on the great race despite the hammy and glute issues!
    @7lenny7 - Awesome job with the 5k and making it under the pace you were shooting for!

I got up early for my long run but didn't actually get out the door for a couple of hours. I was worried it was going to get too hot and would have to cut it short but it was beautiful out, no clouds at first but cool and while I was out it got cloudier and cloudier. We actually got a bit of rain after I got home which was nice - just wish there was more of it. Here is a picture of my view from another trail. In the foreground is the Honda Center aka The Anaheim Duck Pond. The silver arched building is the new transportation center, called Arctic and just behind that is Angel stadium (the big red A is on the left and the stadium is actually behind and to the right of the Arctic in the picture). The brown dirt unfortunately is our very dry riverbed :( I crossed over the other side and ran to the stadium on the trail and then back staying on that side of the river on my run today.
    euaaf61r5tyv.jpg

• Elise4270
    Options
    @shanaber I didn't know that about not running with the dogs when they are younger. I bought a harness for my smallest dog hoping to take her out. She's about 3, half border collie/cocker spaniel. Sweet little thing. Would you advise against the harness? I haven't even gotten her leash trained yet. I have a training collar for my bigger dogs. I think she'd shut down on a collar.
  • JimCrackinDandy
    JimCrackinDandy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 -Hoping for 9:45 and getting 9:44! Awesome! Great run!!!
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Dontthink Im going to make goal for this month Need to get back into my running routine
  • Timby1
    Timby1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    <<<this happened today. 5 mile course which I jogged the majority of, except for the approach to obstacles, so I'm counting it as a full 5.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Went out for a LSR today and it wasn't... somehow ended up with a few PR's including an under 30 5k. I even turned my tracker off when I was walking but yet BOTH my run trackers measured the usual course longer than usual. Though I now understand why I had to walk now that I know how unintentionally fast I was running. I'm still figuring out pacing. And here I thought I had to walk because it was getting too hot.

According to the trackers I ran 11.56 km for a June total of 83.5 Km out of my goal of 70 km. Over 10 km over my May total and still have a few days left of June.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @Stoshew71 - Congrats!
    @7lenny7 - Awesome job on that 5k!
    @skippygirlsmom - hope your next run is an awesome one after that one! Sounds terrible.

I was up late last night so I slept in. Debated if I should take the day off to avoid the late morning sun and heat. Go figure, I ran. :tongue: I turned into a fairly brutal run. Was not doing so good about 7 miles in and realized I was needing water. So I polished off the last half of my 32oz bottle which I was saving for mile 8 and a gel. Swung into a convenience store to refill my bottle just after mile 8. That all went down by mile 10 and I was still thirsty! Was able to refill at a McDonalds luckily. Rest of the run felt better, but after getting home I felt a little beat up. Got a fair amount of sun too, on purpose. No burning, I knew the timing and amount of shading on the route would make it unlikely that I would get burnt...but I absorbed as much as I probably can without getting burnt. Probably the last time I go that long without sunblock. Will play it by ear whether or not I do my planned 8 miles tomorrow.

6/2 - 4.1 miles
    6/3 - 4 miles (8.1 total)
    6/4 - 4.1 miles (12.2 total)
    6/6 -13.4 miles (25.6 total)
    6/8 - 6 miles (31.6 total)
    6/9 - 6 miles (37.6 total)
    6/10 - 6 miles (43.6 total)
    6/11 - 6 miles (49.6 total)
    6/13 - 16 miles (65.6 total)
    6/14 - 8 miles (73.6 total)
    6/16 - 6 miles (79.6 total)
    6/17 - 8 miles (87.6 total)
    6/18 - 6 miles (93.6 total)
    6/20 - 16 miles (109.6 total)
    6/24 - 12 miles (121.6 total)
    6/26 - 6 miles (127.6 total)
    6/27
    Goal 130 miles

exercise.png

• JimCrackinDandy
    JimCrackinDandy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    @Timby1 What a run! Congrats!
    Circuit Training this am and a 4 mile hike up and down the hill with my family. Lovely time. We all walked fast as fast as we could. Tempted to count it toward the running goal, but didn't. 3 more days to get in about 13 more miles.
    exercise.png
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    11 miles in the heat today. Got hot and wimped out. :(
    44884e12c31f449.png