• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    I agree with @KatherineNadeau Actually I had a visceral response to some of the replies.

I mean the OP said, in her post, that she felt she ate a lot. Off the bat. So much of what followed was unnecessary and shaming. People could have just presented their strategies, and left it at that. Obviously different approaches are working for people in different ways, and the condition itself is variable.

I also agree with KatherineNadeau (and you, tomatoey.)

And I disagree strongly with all 3 of you

So that's nice :)

Heh.

And me too.

Me also.

Regarding not being "qualified" to comment in this thread"? I know how weight loss works with other metabolic, emotional, medical, physically limiting, and lifestyle issues/complications.

People with EVERY disorder in the book, particularly the newly diagnosed or those going through a really rough patch think that they're alone and that no one can understand or relate or has it quite like they do. It's depressing, it's understandable, but it's wrong and after a point? It's self-indulgent to one's own detriment. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. When I realized how much I was hurting myself in retrospect, I was pretty angry at myself. I got over that too.

You can have all the issues in the world and think all the obstacles are in your way, but you are stronger than you think.

So yes, to the people who are not yet accepting the fact that they ate too much and still feel like helpless victims (this includes blaming the food) instead of proactive warriors? You've still got some work to do.

Those of us with limits are not bound or defined by them unless we let ourselves be.

That's great for you. Some people appreciate assistance in planning meals / diet to mitigate appetite. Some people have offered concrete advice that's worked for them, rather than moral condemnation. Willpower or wtf ever isn't the point, as far as I'm concerned. It's managing the condition in a sustainable way. That is low carb/low GI for many.

Those who offered that advice ,
    @lemurcat12, were not derailing.
  • RebeccaMaunder
    RebeccaMaunder Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Wow. This has definitively gotten more responses than I thought it would. The other night when I posted this I was feeling really depressed and upset. I do struggle with mental health so not surprising for me.
    To clarify when I was first told I had pcos it was like 2002. A lot has changed since then. The doctor I had at that point had told me that I would always be over weight. I've struggled with this in many ways. I've tried dieting in pretty much every form including struggling with eating disorders such as bulimia. It has taken me a long time to realize that I do not have to be owned by my past or by my diagnosis. I see and know of many women who manage their pcos through diet and exercise.

I'm confused sometimes on what to do or how to make it work. I have bought the low gi diet book as it was recommended to me. I know the changes I need to make like logging consistently and doing a lot of self work.

I do appreciate you all taking the time to show care and support by responding to me. I don't like seeing fighting as I think we all want to be united in the same things. Health, happiness and helping others to do the same.
  • crys_todd
    crys_todd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think medical doctors really should refrain from making blanket statements like that ever.
    When I was very first diagnosed I was told I'd never have children as my ovaries were so cystic and I was completely amenorrhic. I'm nursing my 13 month old as I type this. Not to say it wasnt difficult and it required a lot of research and intervention but I have 2 beautiful children to prove that Dr. wrong.
    Losing weight can be an uphill battle but it isn't impossible. I weighed 325lbs (5'6) at one point 7 years ago. Getting diagnosed and seeing an RE was my turning point. I lost 165lbs in 18 months once I had the right meds and nutritional information. Unlike what some people have claimed in this thread, I still had PCOS even at a normal weight.
    I won't tell you that what worked for me will 100% work for you because everyone's body is different but I will say it is completely possible. I do encourage you find a new doctor though, hopefully one that specializes in endocrinology.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I agree with @KatherineNadeau Actually I had a visceral response to some of the replies.

I mean the OP said, in her post, that she felt she ate a lot. Off the bat. So much of what followed was unnecessary and shaming. People could have just presented their strategies, and left it at that. Obviously different approaches are working for people in different ways, and the condition itself is variable.

Heh.

And me too.

Me also.

Regarding not being "qualified" to comment in this thread"? I know how weight loss works with other metabolic, emotional, medical, physically limiting, and lifestyle issues/complications.

People with EVERY disorder in the book, particularly the newly diagnosed or those going through a really rough patch think that they're alone and that no one can understand or relate or has it quite like they do. It's depressing, it's understandable, but it's wrong and after a point? It's self-indulgent to one's own detriment. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. When I realized how much I was hurting myself in retrospect, I was pretty angry at myself. I got over that too.

You can have all the issues in the world and think all the obstacles are in your way, but you are stronger than you think.

So yes, to the people who are not yet accepting the fact that they ate too much and still feel like helpless victims (this includes blaming the food) instead of proactive warriors? You've still got some work to do.

Those of us with limits are not bound or defined by them unless we let ourselves be.

That's great for you. Some people appreciate assistance in planning meals / diet to mitigate appetite. Some people have offered concrete advice that's worked for them, rather than moral condemnation. Willpower or wtf ever isn't the point, as far as I'm concerned. It's managing the condition in a sustainable way. That is low carb/low GI for many.

Have you noticed how many of the ladies with PCOS who have responded don't have to do anything but watch their calories?

FTR, I'm not making a moral judgment. You confuse me giving someone advice when I see that she's still at a point where she's thinking of things in a way that's counterproductive to long-term success because you don't like the fact that I was blunt about it.

I stated a fact. I didn't tell her not to eat low carb. She won't succeed long term in managing her weight, which will ultimately manage her insulin resistance, until she knows, deep down, the root cause. HOW you diet is a band-aid. Knowing why you need to diet in the first place is treating the underlying problem.

I don't care if you don't like what I said. I AM trying to help people here.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    Wow. This has definitively gotten more responses than I thought it would. The other night when I posted this I was feeling really depressed and upset. I do struggle with mental health so not surprising for me.
    To clarify when I was first told I had pcos it was like 2002. A lot has changed since then. The doctor I had at that point had told me that I would always be over weight. I've struggled with this in many ways. I've tried dieting in pretty much every form including struggling with eating disorders such as bulimia. It has taken me a long time to realize that I do not have to be owned by my past or by my diagnosis. I see and know of many women who manage their pcos through diet and exercise.

I'm confused sometimes on what to do or how to make it work. I have bought the low gi diet book as it was recommended to me. I know the changes I need to make like logging consistently and doing a lot of self work.

I do appreciate you all taking the time to show care and support by responding to me. I don't like seeing fighting as I think we all want to be united in the same things. Health, happiness and helping others to do the same.

I'm glad you've found some clarity in all of this. Sometimes the back and forth can yield something useful to sift through.

For logging consistently, your best friend will be your food scale, so make sure you get one of those. I could not believe what an eye opener it was. I wouldn't be without one now.

• tomatoey
    Options

Heh.

And me too.

Me also.

Have you noticed how many of the ladies with PCOS who have responded don't have to do anything but watch their calories?

FTR, I'm not making a moral judgment. You confuse me giving someone advice when I see that she's still at a point where she's thinking of things in a way that's counterproductive to long-term success because you don't like the fact that I was blunt about it.

I stated a fact. I didn't tell her not to eat low carb. She won't succeed long term in managing her weight, which will ultimately manage her insulin resistance, until she knows, deep down, the root cause. HOW you diet is a band-aid. Knowing why you need to diet in the first place is treating the underlying problem.

Whether a particular way of eating is "Counterproductive to long-term success " or a "band-aid" is a matter of individual experience. Many have successfully managed their conditions, long-term, using particular nutritional strategies. Low gi/carb isn't a recipe for failure for everyone. On the contrary, some do very well with those approaches. Long-term. Your truth isn't everyone's truth, and it's NOT helpful to present it as if it is.
  • RebeccaMaunder
    Options
    I really wish we had like buttons for things on here. Really though I do appreciate all of you. I love the diversity. Each one behind something to the table. Some things have come across a little harsh but at the same time I know I'm sensitive right now and I'm hoping that the heart behind the people wanting to help is a good one.
  • RebeccaMaunder
    Options
    Brings*
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Heh.

And me too.

Me also.

Whether a particular way of eating is "Counterproductive to long-term success " or a "band-aid" is a matter of individual experience. Many have successfully managed their conditions, long-term, using particular nutritional strategies. Low gi/carb isn't a recipe for failure for everyone. On the contrary, some do very well with those approaches. Long-term. Your truth isn't everyone's truth, and it's NOT helpful to present it as if it is.

You. are. missing. the. point.

I was not addressing her choice to eat low GI/low carb.

If you read enough threads on here, I often tell people with PCOS and even thyroid issues that some members of both groups do well eating that way.

I moderate my own carbs, btw.

Her long term success, now matter what her macros are, will hinge on her being able to manage her caloric consumption.

To do that, she will need to manage hunger, her emotions, stress, and a host of other things that lead people to eat and overeat. When you simply say... oh! It's high GI food and my hormones, you're leaving out massive parts of a very complicated equation.

You've still got work to do inside yourself.

I'm not saying not to eat low GI, or low carb. I'm saying to do that inside work.

• RebeccaMaunder
    Options

Heh.

And me too.

Me also.

If you read enough threads on here, I often tell people with PCOS and even thyroid issues that some members of both groups do well eating that way.

Her long term success, now matter what her macros are, will hinge on her being able to manage her caloric consumption.

To do that, she will need to manage hunger, her emotions, stress, and a host of other things that lead people to eat and overeat. When you simply say... oh! It's high GI food and my hormones, you're leaving out massive parts of a very complicated equation.

I'm not saying not to eat low GI, or low carb. I'm saying to do that inside work.

Do you have any suggestions? I know that may sound dumb but like books or pod casts or things like that. I don't find it helpful just to sit and contemplate.

Tia

Becca
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Heh.

And me too.

Me also.

Do you have any suggestions? I know that may sound dumb but like books or pod casts or things like that. I don't find it helpful just to sit and contemplate.

Tia

Becca

Aw, thanks for asking, but I did most of my work on myself, and it took a LOT of years. Since you said you don't have time to contemplate, the techniques which I found most useful with emotional issues (it was a visualization), might not be helpful.

Let me ask you this, though... what do you feel you primarily struggle with the most? What would you feel most willing to tackle first? It's usually best to do things a step at a time, right?

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    This is the advice I would follow

@jemhh covered it off very well
    jemhh wrote: »
    I have PCOS. I've lost about 55 pounds and plan to keep it off long term.

It comes down to eating fewer calories than you burn. Yes, it is CICO. As a woman with PCOS, your BMR is almost certainly lower than a woman with PCOS (no matter whether or not you have IR, though those with IR have lower BMRs than those without) but that doesn't mean that you cannot lose weight or keep it off.

My suggestion for anybody trying to lose weight:
    1. Fill out your MFP profile accurately (weight, height, age, non-exercise activity level.)
    2. Choose a reasonable weekly weight loss goal (a reasonable goal for your current weight and one that allows you to eat a sustainable amount of food--that means that you might be best choosing 1 pound a week rather than 2 pounds a week.)
    3. Weigh all foods with a digital kitchen scale.
    4. If you cannot weigh your foods, measure with measuring cups/spoons but be reasonable and don't mash stuff in them to get extra bites.
    5. If you can neither weigh nor measure your food (i.e., you are dining out), estimate really well (google "serving size chart" to get visuals to follow.
    6. Log every single bite as accurately as possible by using verified nutrition information such as USDA entries in the MFP database or the nutrition labeling on food packages.
    7. If/when you exercise, log that activity in your MFP exercise diary. Eat back the calories. Some people find that the exercise calories are overestimated so they eat back only a portion. Whether you eat back 100% or 50%, I suggest sticking with the same percentage for 4 weeks and then reevaluating whether you should a higher or lower percentage, based on how much you are losing each week.

The only different suggestions I have for women with PCOS are:
    • You might benefit by eating a lower carb diet. This isn't a sure thing and it doesn't mean that you have to go super low carb or keto. I do well eating around 100-150 carbs per day, the lower end when losing weight, the higher end when maintaining. It's not a surefire thing though so experiment with what works for you.
    • Since the BMR is lower, I really believe that exercise makes weight loss so much easier for women with PCOS. For me, LISS type exercise (low impact steady state such as walking) ups my calorie burn but does not increase my appetite. HIIT makes me famished so I avoid it unless I know I'll be eating a lot that day. Again, you'll need to experiment a bit to find what works for you but I highly suggest adding some easy cardio. I'm also a strong believer in strength training but for weight loss purposes, cardio did a lot more for me than lifting weights.

One last thing: Don't let PCOS define you or become an excuse for unhealthy behaviors or lifestyle choices. You are more than a syndrome. You are a capable adult with a brain and decision making abilities. Make the right choices and you can be very healthy and fit despite PCOS.

• tomatoey
    Options

Heh.

And me too.

Me also.

I 'm just dandy, thanks. I'm very lucky in that I've never had any kind of psychological issues around food beyond planning issues. So I can't comment on strategies that might work for those who do have the kind of issues you seem to feel everyone has. I don't, in fact. I try to stay away from conversations to which I can't usefully contribute.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Let me ask you this, though... what do you feel you primarily struggle with the most? What would you feel most willing to tackle first? It's usually best to do things a step at a time, right?

This is a great question.

(I love podcasts and probably do have some recommendations, as well as possibly for books, but it will depend on what you see as your main hurdles.)

Edit: the post rabbitjb highlighted is an excellent one too.
  • BobSassafrass
    BobSassafrass Posts: 85 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ellesMFP93 wrote: »
    Mamabirdboss I'm not even going to argue with you cause you clearly don't understand the science behind insulin resistance.
    I think some people are confusing diabetes and PCOS. To clarify some of the pathophysiology here is a quote from some of my med school textbooks.
    "The classic physiological changes in women with PCOS include hyperandrogenemia (one of the NIH consensus criteria for diagnosis of PCOS), hypercholesterolemia and hypertension. Additionally, most women with PCOS are euglycemic, but due to the high androgen levels exhibit increased weight gain and therefore – coupled with the high cholesterol - are at increased risk for developing insulin resistance/type II diabetes and metabolic syndrome."

After insulin-resistance has developed modifying diet based on amount and type of carbs could help, after Diabetes develops definitely. But it's doubtful that it makes any real impact on the OPs weight. The increased insulin production due to insulin-resistance does indeed increase hunger (as well as enjoyment) of food.

It is extremely unlikely that obesity could cause PCOS, although no one has discovered the exact mechanism as of yet. But as others have noted from personal experience, extra fat does make PCOS worse. Fat releases a variety of hormones that are meant to help with weight control, but the levels are out of whack in obese individuals. For example adiponectin helps to decrease hunger and decrease insulin resistance, but is released in smaller amounts with increasing fat. Leptin helps regulate reproduction and inflammation but is released too much with increased fat.

Summary for the OP: Count calories and know that only you can be in control of your health.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Heh.

And me too.

Me also.

I 'm just dandy, thanks. I'm very lucky in that I've never had any kind of psychological issues around food beyond planning issues. So I can't comment on strategies that might work for those who do have the kind of issues you seem to feel everyone has. I don't, in fact. I try to stay away from conversations to which I can't usefully contribute.

This thread would make a lie of that statement I'm afraid
  • tomatoey
    Options

Heh.

And me too.

Me also.

I have PCOS, good enough for you? I don't have a copy of my ultrasound, so I'm afraid you'll have to take my word for it.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Heh.

And me too.

Me also.

I have PCOS, good enough for you? I don't have a copy of my ultrasound, so I'm afraid you'll have to take my word for it.

Ummmm congratulations?? ...and your useful contribution to the thread?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Heh.

And me too.

Me also.

I'm afraid I missed your useful contribution.

OP - I'd suggest figuring out what triggers you to eat - hunger? sadness? frustration? Track your calories for a week or two and make notes in the notes section about how you're feeling that particular. It might help you to establish where your issues are, and see if there's a connection between your mood and how much you eat. You have to know the issue before you can properly address it.

Make sure you get a food scale, weigh all your food. And even though it's not necessary for weight loss, start an activity - like walking or yoga.