Best substitute for peanut butter?

Options

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Wowbutter, or I.M. healthy soynut butter. Both are on amazon, and I've seen wowbutter at walmart as well. They are totally peanut free.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Tahini is pb-ish, I also love almond butter, macadamia butter, Brazil nut butter, cashew butter, hazelnut butter... You name it, I've probably got a jar of it. I prefer them to peanut...
  • kendallvon
    kendallvon Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I 2nd the tahini paste suggestion. Very good.
  • sun_tzu
    sun_tzu Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I'm so sorry for your loss..

This! I cannot imagine life without peanut butter.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I keep peanut butter at work it's great for snacks.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    PB2 isn't bad... Some local stores carry this, but it isn't cheap. Walden Farms 0 calorie peanut butter was horrible.

I love Pb2 and eat it once or twice a day. I get it pretty cheap at BJ's Warehouse, 1 big tub for $9.99. It easily lasts about a month or a little longer.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Have you asked her what she prefers? Why does it have to be life without peanut butter for you? If she has a peanut butter allergy, she has to learn to say no to anything containing peanuts. You can't just remove it from life for her so denying yourself peanut butter doesn't really accomplish anything, in my opinion. Have your jar of peanut butter in a different cupboard than her almond butter (or whatever she likes).
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    socalkay wrote: »
    Have you asked her what she prefers? Why does it have to be life without peanut butter for you? If she has a peanut butter allergy, she has to learn to say no to anything containing peanuts. You can't just remove it from life for her so denying yourself peanut butter doesn't really accomplish anything, in my opinion. Have your jar of peanut butter in a different cupboard than her almond butter (or whatever she likes).

Some folks have reactions to peanuts on another person's breath. So it would depend on the situation. Asking doesn't hurt though.

Edited for clarification
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    socalkay wrote: »

It has nothing to do with her learning to say no to peanut butter. She's 18 and fully aware! It's safety. If she accidentally came in contact with any peanut product (or even someone's breath) she will go into anaphylaxis shock, immediately. Even just a small untraceable amount in a jelly jar or even the sink could send her to the ER. Nothing to mess with. I have two other small children at home who could think they're being careful but that's not a risk worth taking.

If there's no suitable replacement, I'm quite confident I can survive without it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    cookie butter!rarkxr463x97.jpeg
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I love the Maranatha maple almond butter and their all natural sunflower seed butter. I've tried the Wowbutter(ok, not my favorite) and cashew butter(not worth the$). You can find them at Walmart or online at vitacost or swanson's.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    cookie butter!rarkxr463x97.jpeg

Oh duh. Lis the genius.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    We have a peanut allergy in the house too. Sunbutter is made in a certified peanut free facility, which a lot of the almond butters sold in stores are not. If her allergy is that serious, you want to look extra carefully at the labels. Other brands I have tried Sneaky Chef spread (made from peas) wow butter, and my all time fave..... Biscoff. ;)
  • bmchenry02
    Options
    I love the Maranatha maple almond butter and their all natural sunflower seed butter. I've tried the Wowbutter(ok, not my favorite) and cashew butter(not worth the$). You can find them at Walmart or online at vitacost or swanson's.

That's two for maranatha! I'm anxious to try something new...
  • bmchenry02
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    We have a peanut allergy in the house too. Sunbutter is made in a certified peanut free facility, which a lot of the almond butters sold in stores are not. If her allergy is that serious, you want to look extra carefully at the labels. Other brands I have tried Sneaky Chef spread (made from peas) wow butter, and my all time fave..... Biscoff. ;)

Thx for the info!
  • _Silver_
    _Silver_ Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I believe maranatha is processed in a facility where they process peanuts. My son has a severe peanut allergy and cannot consume anything if it is processed in a factory where they process peanuts.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    _Silver_ wrote: »
    I believe maranatha is processed in a facility where they process peanuts. My son has a severe peanut allergy and cannot consume anything if it is processed in a factory where they process peanuts.

It is. My son's allergy isn't that severe, but I don't like to take chances.
  • _Silver_
    Options
    Barney butter almond butter is awesome and so is sunbutter.
  • flash4198
    flash4198 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I gotta try the almond or sunflower butter
  • _Silver_
    Options
    It is delicious.