Best substitute for peanut butter?

Options

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    bmchenry02 wrote: »
    I love the Maranatha maple almond butter and their all natural sunflower seed butter. I've tried the Wowbutter(ok, not my favorite) and cashew butter(not worth the$). You can find them at Walmart or online at vitacost or swanson's.

That's two for maranatha! I'm anxious to try something new...

It's just a spread. That'll cost you a few $...
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    we cant have marantha's product because its made in a factory with peanuts. Better safe than sorry.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If she has that severe of a peanut allergy, wouldn't she have allergies to other types of legumes and tree nuts as well? I mean, substitutes would kind of be moot at this point. Kiss all the butters good bye.

Eta: my kid has a peanut allergy (class 2 not as severe as the breath thing) but also is allergic to tree nuts, soy, peas and seeds.
  • melimomTARDIS
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    If she has that severe of a peanut allergy, wouldn't she have allergies to other types of legumes and tree nuts as well? I mean, substitutes would kind of be moot at this point. Kiss all the butters good bye.

nope! quite a few highly allergic people can eat soy products (wowbutter, IM healthy soynut butter), sunflower seeds (sunbutter,enjoy life products) or golden peabutter (sneaky chef NoNut butter)
  • Alluminati
    Options

nope! quite a few highly allergic people can eat soy products (wowbutter, IM healthy soynut butter), sunflower seeds (sunbutter,enjoy life products) or golden peabutter (sneaky chef NoNut butter)

I was asking the OP in her specific case. Sorry I eta'd to clarify up there ^^
  • melimomTARDIS
    Options
    hmmm... I think you'd have to switch to jam/jelly or cream cheese sandwiches in that case.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    hmmm... I think you'd have to switch to jam/jelly or cream cheese sandwiches in that case.

Cream cheese and jelly was my fave growing up.

• melimomTARDIS
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

I eat jamwiches quite a bit even now. somehow they arent logged as often as they are eaten... btw, tofutti cream cheese amirite?
  • Alluminati
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

Great idea! It's been grilled cheese foreva on our end and it has to be yellow Kraft cheese or else. The kid has sensory issues too so yeah.....fun times.
  • todayiwillshyne
    todayiwillshyne Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    bmchenry02 wrote: »
    my step daughter is moving in with us soon and she has a serious peanut allergy. I love Jif natural peanut butter currently and looking to try a substitute either with sunflower or almond. Curious what brands you like?

• todayiwillshyne
    todayiwillshyne Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    almond,cashew, and a powder pm2 that has all the fats pressed out. I mix it with skim milk
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    If you have a decent blender you could try making your own nut butters instead.
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Eta: my kid has a peanut allergy (class 2 not as severe as the breath thing) but also is allergic to tree nuts, soy, peas and seeds.

Shockingly, no. She can have walnuts and almonds although she doesn't because just the word "nut" scares her (and I'm pretty sure she doesn't like them plain anyway) but if it's on an ingredient list there's no concern. Believe me, I wouldn't ask about tasty alternatives if I wasn't certain of her allergy.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Any other nut butters are good. I like cashew butter and almond butter the best. Whole Foods is a store that carries a grinder so you can grind your own portions.
  • shetripsalot
    shetripsalot Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Marantha Organic Almond Butter, Sunbutter & Nuttzo (peanut-free variety) are my favorites!
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I make my own almond butter in the food processor.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    A few of the grocery stores near me have fresh almond butter - big machines full of almonds and you just press a button to grind them into a container. That's my favorite and there is no sugar.

Yep, I buy mine at Wegmans, but this store is only on the east coast. Delicious!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    cookie butter!rarkxr463x97.jpeg

^this. Or nutella...
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend tahini. It's wonderfully nutty and it usually costs a fraction of almond butter.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Sunbutter