what qualities do you want in a personal trainer?

Options
Open question, just curious as to what you look for when you pick a PT.

Replies

• Kr15by
    Kr15by Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Has to be in better shape than me
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    - asks what my goals are and plans workouts that move me toward them

That's pretty much it because I think that knowing what s/he is doing in the gym, is current on research and fitness, etc . all falls under that.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Someone who has trained people to a point *farther* (more advanced/better) than I want to go.

I, personally, do well with a take-no-prisoners attitude that matches my own, but I think a good PT can adapt their motivational strategy/demeanor according to the needs of the client. :) (Especially if you're contracted at a gym and so get whatever clients are handed to you.)
  • fbinsc
    fbinsc Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Number one they have to ask me about my goals and devise a custom plan. There are a lot of "trainers" who give cookie cutter workouts to everyone and don't customize the plan to you.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I second the better shape. And listen to my injuries. I'm not being a wimp. Some things are messed up and will never be okay again. Let's not work to aggravate injuries that will sideline me for months.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Someone who has a track record of taking multiple trainees on to achieve the goals I'm looking to achieve.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Someone that is really knowledgable on correct form from years of doing it themselves.
    Someone that is really knowledgable on different muscles and why and how to strengthem then.

Also, custom workout. Perhaps even weekly variations that will still help reach a goal.
    No yelling, but good at motivating.
  • prideofthelion
    prideofthelion Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So how do you set about judging worthy candidates? would I be shallow if I was to go a little bit on looks and personality?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Someone who listens to me, can help me build a knowledge base about fitness rather than watching me do 50 burpees, someone who knows how to lift heavy weight properly, and someone who won't talk to me about nutrition/calories if they don't understand cico.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Soft hands, a warm smile, eyes I could stare into forever, and a gentle touch
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    krisbain wrote: »
    Has to be in better shape than me

So you wouldn't train with Mark Rippetoe, who has a nice big ol' gut?

A pretty looking trainer isn't necessarily a good one. Many trainers are genetically gifted and look good regardless of which workout they do.. even poorly designed ones.
    I actually prefer trainers who don't have a particularly hot body, because that tells me they've been able to stay in business using their brain, not their body. Some of the best trainers & coaches out there look like ordinary people.
    So how do you set about judging worthy candidates?

I'd look for a good credentials like NASM-CES certification, a degree in kinesiology, etc. Here are some perspectives on choosing a good trainer -

body-improvements.com/articles/industry-articles/how-to-select-a-personal-trainer/
    stumptuous.com/how-to-choose-a-personal-trainer
    dailyburn.com/life/fitness/personal-trainer-break-up-signs/
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Stop. Now you have me thinking thoughts.
  • kristinareisinger
    kristinareisinger Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I need to be relatively intimidated by them. Otherwise I won't work my hardest. If I didn't need a push then I really wouldn't need an instructor or trainer anyway.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Listens. And responds.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Listens. And responds.

*adds both qualities to previous list*
  • prideofthelion
    prideofthelion Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    @ Davpul that's some list!

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the I want to be like you factor, ie good looking or excellent at whatever physical discipline
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

This appears to be soemthing you have given great thought to, tell us more....

Btw the PT has to have something worth teaching and have a compatible style thats worth listening to.

A lot of PTs are clueless or put differently they do not inspire confidence that its worth paying for their service.
  • sharonfinley37
    sharonfinley37 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    my trainer has to be able to motivate and push me without fear of how much I'm going to hate him/her at that time, as it will pass, lol