not diet lifestyle changes

Options
So not diet. Lifestyle change. I get it. Swapping or substitute. Finding the choices I can live with forever. Breakfast = fruit. Always. I can live with that. Less coffee more water. Ok. Swap jasmine rice and tofu or beans for brown rice & fresh organic vegetable. . New favorites condiment lime juice. #vegan #vegankids #veganlife #vegankid #running #faster #stronger #better

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I would never be able to eat just fruit for breakfast. NEVER.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Your hashtags have no power here
  • Rene75Patricia
    Rene75Patricia Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love legumes. I could never give those up. I love the idea of lime or lemon as a condiment. I'm not a vegan so lemon, parsley, olive oil and salt mince together and used as a condiment for meat is delicious. Beef, pork, chicken or fish!
  • Rene75Patricia
    Rene75Patricia Posts: 39 Member
    Options

What is your typical breakfast?

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    rene75paul wrote: »

It depends. But it always has plenty of fat and protein.

Yesterday it was 2 poached eggs and half a large avocado.
    The day before that it was a green smoothie with hemp hearts and flax seeds and soy milk (along with all the greens and some berries).

Some days it's full fat cottage cheese with hemp hearts, or avocado mixed in....
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    So not diet. Lifestyle change. I get it. Swapping or substitute. Finding the choices I can live with forever. Breakfast = fruit. Always. I can live with that. Less coffee more water. Ok. Swap jasmine rice and tofu or beans for brown rice & fresh organic vegetable. . New favorites condiment lime juice. #vegan #vegankids #veganlife #vegankid #running #faster #stronger #better

Fruit? Just fruit?... I prefer protein and fat.

What's wrong with coffee?

Brown rice is no better than white rice, beans.

Organic... If you can afford it.

Eat what you like. Make most of it nutritious. Make all of it fit your calorie goals. Food is meant to be enjoyed.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Why would you stop eating tofu and beans? Jasmine rice is yummy and fruit for breakfast all the time sounds dull.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I really don't think you need to get too hung up on the "swapping" list. It starts to sound like penance. Eat food you enjoy. Keep it within the confines of your calorie allowance. Add a little exercise to earn more calories.

Then keep at it. Keep. At. It.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    After Fit for Life came out in the 80's, lots of people I knew tried it. Some were able to do the fruit in the morning thing. I'm not one of them. I get hungry shortly after eating if I don't have protein and fat with my meal.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    So not diet. Lifestyle change. I get it. Swapping or substitute. Finding the choices I can live with forever.
    Lifestyle change doesn't necessarily involve swapping or substitution. You can keep eating what you've always eaten as long as you eat it in amounts that fit into your calorie and overall nutrition goals.

Like chocolate? Eat chocolate. I keep 35-calorie individually-wrapped pieces of real chocolate and eat one when I want chocolate.

Potato chips? If I want some I pull out my food scale and measure out a 28g serving rather than just eating out of the bag.

Pizza? I can either make one myself or buy a Lean Cuisine one that's 390 calories.

I eat basically everything I used to eat, just in moderation. I've swapped some things but only when they have better nutrition while being just as satisfying. I can see myself doing this long term because I don't feel deprived.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Bacon, sausage and eggs are my brekkie
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

i don't think fruit seven days a week for life is sustainable …

lifestyle change = changes that you can incorporate for the long time and do for the rest of your life…

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    rene75paul wrote: »

It depends. But it always has plenty of fat and protein.

This is usually what works for me too.

I mostly do the 2-egg vegetable omelet (which is obviously not vegan), and when I do oatmeal I always make sure I add extra protein and fat, either through what I add to the oatmeal or on the side. I also always try to have veggies with breakfast.

One of my things is trying to remember to eat beans more often, not less.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Hey, OP, it's cool that you're a vegan and all, but your plans don't sound sustainable.

You need to nourish your body, and your body still needs protein. If you have bought what the China Study says? DON'T. It's been debunked. Dieters in particular need more protein to preserve lean muscle mass while losing weight. The reason for this is that when you lose weight, you lose body fat and muscle tissue. You want to take measures to keep as much muscle as possible. Carbohydrates are also muscle sparing.

You just need to eat less of the beans and tofu and jasmine rice. There's no reason to eliminate them totally. They're perfectly good foods.

Eat some nuts or seeds with your fruit for breakfast. Nut butter on an apple is yummy. There's no reason to be afraid of fat either!
  • KezJT
    KezJT Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    To be fair, I'm not vegan, but often have fruit for bteakfast. Weekedays it's grab and go fruit (banana's are best imo) and weekends its more effort to prepare mixed fruits with yoghurt. Fills me up nicely until my next meal, and I lost 60lb a couple of years ago sticking to that. I do eat real fats and protiens for my other meals though
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think factors involved in long term sustainability are probably going to differ from person to person in at least some aspects of dieting. Food selection being a big one.

Do you think you can develop habits around your diet that you can maintain for a long time or do you think these are things that you're temporarily adopting while you are "on your diet" and you're revert back to old habits when you are "not on your diet"?

Generalizations are good to talk about as starting points but there's likely a huge amount of variability.

But the general point that these should be sustainable in the long term, is correct, and hugely important.
  • TheSunshineQueen
    TheSunshineQueen Posts: 276 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Your hashtags have no power here

MTE. Lol.

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    It will be pretty difficult to get your neccessary protein without beans/lentils!
    I mean, I understand you're a vegan but you are aiming to make yourself sick not strong and healthy!
    It's not all about swapping and substitution, it's about a reasonable calorie deficit and more healthy choices.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    I really don't think you need to get too hung up on the "swapping" list. It starts to sound like penance. Eat food you enjoy. Keep it within the confines of your calorie allowance. Add a little exercise to earn more calories.

Then keep at it. Keep. At. It.