Negative adjustments

Options
2»

Replies

• tazjosh
    tazjosh Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    It takes trial & error to find the "magic number" that works for you. I've found that I can be a whole day's worth of calories over goal each week with no problem. YMMV.

Food is fuel, and we should all be looking for the maximum number of calories at which we lose weight (or maintain)—never the minimum.

In the iOS app, go to More > Settings > Weekly Nutrition Settings and check "week starts 7 days ago." Go to your diary, then to yesterday. At the bottom of the screen, tap "Nutrition." Then choose "Calories" and "Week View."

(After that, I switch from "Calories" to "Nutrients" and check my weekly protein & fiber goals. You can see "Macros," too.)

I have done all that on my week view do I want net or Total?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    tazjosh wrote: »
    No I started this morning with about 180 taken off as exercise giving me 180 kcal extra I can eat today but as I've walked around today and my steps have got higher, the 180 is now down to 8? So I can eat less today so far even though I've done 2000 steps?

That's really odd.. it would make sense if your activity level was set too high, but as you said, you're on sedentary. Have you joined the fitbit group? You might get more detailed help there..

@editorgrrl is very clued up, hopefully she'll be able to figure out what's going on.

• tazjosh
    Options
    No I started this morning with about 180 taken off as exercise giving me 180 kcal extra I can eat today but as I've walked around today and my steps have got higher, the 180 is now down to 8? So I can eat less today so far even though I've done 2000 steps?

That's really odd.. it would make sense if your activity level was set too high, but as you said, you're on sedentary. Have you joined the fitbit group? You might get more detailed help there..

@editorgrrl is very clued up, hopefully she'll be able to figure out what's going on.

Thanks
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I think you're misreading your adjustment—it was negative 180, then you walked 2,000 steps and it was 8.
    I really can't loose anymore as I'm starting to look ill. I just want to eat well to stay healthy at 9st and am desperate to nut put any on either ( after I've got to 9st again I need to put a couple of pounds on so its a good time to be finding my daily level )

If you want to maintain, set your goal to maintenance: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

You'll be eating your Fitbit burn, which is TDEE, the number of calories to maintain your current weight. Trust your adjustments for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress.
  • tazjosh
    Options
    At the top of mfp I get calories allowance for the day - food calories eaten + exercise calories that = how many calories I have left for the day. The exercise calories is what I mean. It's going down not up with the more steps I do. I'm confused. I look at what the = is for what I can eat that day and it's going down not up?
    I think you're misreading your adjustment—it was negative 180, then you walked 2,000 steps and it was 8.
    I really can't loose anymore as I'm starting to look ill. I just want to eat well to stay healthy at 9st and am desperate to nut put any on either ( after I've got to 9st again I need to put a couple of pounds on so its a good time to be finding my daily level )

If you want to maintain, set your goal to maintenance: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

You'll be eating your Fitbit burn, which is TDEE, the number of calories to maintain your current weight. Trust your adjustments for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress.

• tazjosh
    Options

At the top of mfp I get calories allowance for the day - food calories eaten + exercise calories that = how many calories I have left for the day. The exercise calories is what I mean. It's going down not up with the more steps I do. I'm confused. I look at what the = is for what I can eat that day and it's going down not up?
  • editorgrrl
    Options

You're misreading it. Going from -180 to 8 is up—not down. Click on the adjustment to see the math MFP used to calculate it.

Trust your Fitbit for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress.
  • tazjosh
    Options
    Thanks in weekly view, net or total?
  • tazjosh
    Options
    Thanks in weekly view, net or total?

I mean on the graph for the week

• editorgrrl
    edited June 2015
    Options
    To see your weekly nutrition in the iOS app, go to More > Settings > Weekly Nutrition Settings and check "week starts 7 days ago."

Go to your diary, then to yesterday. At the bottom of the screen, tap "Nutrition." Then choose "Calories" and "Week View."

The "net calories over weekly goal" is buggy in the iOS app. It should show you the total, but right now (for me, at least), it's dividing the number by 7.

There've been multiple problems with it ever since they started MFP Premium. Hopefully they'll work out the bugs sooner rather than later.

As I said above, I've been a full day's calories over maintenance every single week for the past year, yet I've lost another 6 lbs. It'll take trial & error to find the maximum number of calories at which you lose weight (or maintain).
  • tazjosh
    Options
    To see your weekly nutrition in the iOS app, go to More > Settings > Weekly Nutrition Settings and check "week starts 7 days ago."

Go to your diary, then to yesterday. At the bottom of the screen, tap "Nutrition." Then choose "Calories" and "Week View."

The "net calories over weekly goal" is buggy in the iOS app. It should show you the total, but right now (for me, at least), it's dividing the number by 7.

There've been multiple problems with it ever since they started MFP Premium. Hopefully they'll work out the bugs sooner rather than later.

As I said above, I've been a full day's calories over maintenance every single week for the past year, yet I've lost another 6 lbs. It'll take trial & error to find the maximum number of calories at which you lose weight (or maintain).

Ok thanks, I will get my head round it, I'm just too impatient !!!! I need to b less obsessed, thanks for your help. :)
  • editorgrrl
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I will get my head round it, I'm just too impatient !!!! I need to b less obsessed.

Yes, please! Trust your Fitbit for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I need to b less obsessed, thanks for your help. :)

Good luck with that lol

I've had my fitbit since march, and I'm as obsessed with it as the day I go it! I must sync and log into my diary 50 times a day! And I don't take one single step without it clipped on me :tongue:

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Good luck with that lol

I've had my fitbit since march, and I'm as obsessed with it as the day I go it! I must sync and log into my diary 50 times a day! And I don't take one single step without it clipped on me :tongue:
    ditto here with my Jawbone...I hate charging it and try to do it in the evening when I know I am less active...
  • tazjosh
    Options

Good luck with that lol

Glad it's not just me
  • tazjosh
    Options
    I will get my head round it, I'm just too impatient !!!! I need to b less obsessed.

Yes, please! Trust your Fitbit for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress.

Just wanted to say editorggrl Got my head round it now, thanks so much for your help
  • leighforty
    leighforty Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ive read this and am still not understanding the negative adjustments. Im resting and just doing short walks as ive hurt my foot, but next week will hopefully do 4 classes and 2 weightlifting sessions. Should I have negative adjustments checked or leave it till next week. (feeling really thick at the moment) lol
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    leighforty wrote: »
    Im resting and just doing short walks as ive hurt my foot, but next week will hopefully do 4 classes and 2 weightlifting sessions. Should I have negative adjustments checked or leave it till next week.

Enable negative calorie adjustments immediately, and leave them on—no matter what's going on in your life: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

No need to log any step-based activity—your Fitbit is tracking it for you. Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) either in Fitbit or in MFP—never both. Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn during that time.