What was your 'I finally need to lose this weight' moment? (And was it as bad as mine?)

Options

Replies

• Fivefarthings
    Fivefarthings Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    skinfaxe wrote: »
    My "I need to lose weight" moment was when twice in one week I was called a fat a** while walking down the road. Classy America. I already had issues with my body due to weight loss so, here I am.(:
    What?! I am mad for you! How rude! I hope you punched the people that said that! It's amazing how much a remark from a stranger can hurt more than from friends or family
  • hutchin88
    hutchin88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but one day I said to myself, have you lost your mind?!? Put the Tastycake down, and put your sneakers on! Step away from the m&m's!

I had recently gone thru a divorce, and the only thing I gained out of it was 25-30 mores lbs. that on top of "baby" weight, even though my baby was 5 years old! I started following the Zone and walking 2-3 miles a day. I went from 197 to 140 lbs in a year.

That was 18 years ago. I've let 20+ lbs creep back on, so now I'm back in the game :wink: Good luck to you all. Your posts are very inspiring.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    The Protein World adverts.
    The adverts were your boring bog standard adverts. They weren't offensive (IMO) just the background wallpaper of a society that likes thin women on the walls. The protests caught me by surprise, all these women looking at the adverts and instead of (like me) looking at it and going 'I do thanks!' and carrying on with their day started vandalising them.
    I didn't want to be seen as part of the group that thinks thin women on adverts for weight loss for people who like protein shakes is automatically shaming you if you're larger. It was eye opening. I took that and looked at myself. While I was okay with where I was, I knew I was unhealthy and no where near the kind of shape I wanted to be. All these women who were claiming to represent me where the same. They were sprouting what I've come to know as fatlogic.
    So I decided to love myself more than before and make myself healthy. For me that included weight loss because I simply can't hit my fitness goals at my weight. I've got a way to go but I am thinner, fitter and so much happier with myself and it all thanks to these protesters.
  • misslettucey
    misslettucey Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Mine was kind of stupid. I hadn't been happy with how I was eating and my weight for a few years and sometimes went on crash diets but nothing long term. Then during the exam period leading up to finishing university I comfort ate so much that I gained 10 lbs in about a month. I told myself that since it went on quickly it would be easy to lose after my exams but it stayed on. I have to get weighed by a nurse every 6 months for my contraceptive pill, and the next time I went the nurse commented that I'd gained weight. I vowed to lose it by my next appointment, but kept putting it off until that time came around and I realised I had an appointment in two weeks. And that was my moment! I didn't manage to lose the whole 10 lbs in the two weeks but I did lose about half which made me feel better. And I realised I could do it and might as well make it a long term change. :smiley:
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It was a combination of going to the doctors and getting on the scales (he needed my weight for a referral) and being shocked at how high it was, and my brother turning to me and saying, "I was just showing [sister in law] photos of when you were skinny".

I struggle with mental health so I figured I could hit two birds with one stone. Get thin and get happy. Exercise has improved my mood exponentially.
  • tesemarie
    tesemarie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Mine was when I had an "attack" of what turned out to be a combination of dehydration and too much caffeine. It caused my heart to race terribly. I was 100% convinced I was having a life threatening incident and all I could keep telling myself was that I had done it too myself. I was killing myself with food. I went right to the doctor and she ruled out all of the serious things and told me that the reason the incident went on so long was because of me fear. Dehydration had thrown me into a Full blown panic attack because I knew I wasn't taking care of myself and feared that it had made me seriously ill. I have a wonderful husband and 2 small kids and I decided that I wanted to be around for them for a long time. I also told myself that my body is a gift from God and I needed to take care of it. I'm 35 lbs down now. About 1/2 way. I run almost everyday and eat a pretty healthy diet and it has done so much more for my mind than even for my body. (Although my body is steadily changing too). The doctor wanted me to take antidepressants (which I have nothing against at all!). But I knew for me that wasn't what I needed. I needed to take control of my fear and of my health. I feel like a totally new person even with 40 more to lose. :). Something about making the decision to embark on the journey and taking control of my own health has changed everything. I'm praying daily to keep the motivation up. This community is such a great motiving help as we are all in it together :)
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and was 12.1 stone (down three pounds so far, go me!). I'm about a stone and a half overweight and unfit and have been for the last couple years and I've promised myself time after time that this year will be the year to lose the weight, and it's never happened... Until now

This year in June my boyfriend and I were at the Le Mans, France, 24 hour race (the bf is a massive car geek). He has a nice car, convertible, and this year we took it to a car show so he could show it off. So there we were, driving slowly through the crowds, when we stopped in the traffic, and two guys came to admire the car. And as they were stood right next to me in the passenger seat (roof off) one of them said, really loudly, 'That's a really stunning car, though you definitely need a more fit bird sat in the front.' And they walked off before I could think of anything to say in reply. Needless to say I was utterly mortified.

And that my friends, right there, following a cruel remark from a total stranger, was my 'moment' when I said, no more! I am going to get fit and healthy and look and feel fabulous from now on and damn any strangers who say otherwise!

What was your moment?

WHAT A DISGUSTING PERSON TO HAVE SAID SUCH TERRIBLE THINGS. :neutral:

OP, I know that was merely a trigger not the 'cause', but always remind yourself that you're not going to lose that weight because some D-bag made some comment about being 'fit'.

People will always find ways to undermine others, and even if you were 95 pounds with a supermodel frame a troll like that would always find ways to cut you down - its really not about your physical looks/frame but the fact that such people are insecure and project their insecurity onto you through the most cowardly form of pulling dominance over you rather than doing the brave, positive thing - to change themselves and their circumstances to better themselves (which is what you are doing).

I went through a similar time when I was going through depression and my husband's colleague, a sleazy d-bag who had actually tried to goad him to go strippers and hookers at a work function knowing full well my husband was married - said in front of me at a lunch function as two pretty young girls walked by in heels and form fitting clothes, "What a bunch of fitties. You love your fitties, don't you <insert husband's name>." While staring STRAIGHT AT ME with a grin on his face.

I never forgot that moment. It upset me so much, and even more when my husband didn't defend me. :'(

My self-confidence and self-esteem took such a terrible beating honestly I really empathise with anyone who has to go through any kind of bullying. I swore to never let anyone treat me or behave towards me like that. If someone tries that on me now, good luck to him. Unfortunately the nature of things is that...when you're strong enough to throw barbs back at their slimy faces no one really does things like that because they deliberately pick on the perceived weak ones.

It wasn't the trigger for me as I'm not as strong as you are to use such an event to motivate myself into being a better person FOR ME, but it was the coal into a furnace that started heating up to pave the way to my weight loss, independence and mental strength today over a series of years and events.

Thanks for sharing! :smiley:

• softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I have really been having these "moments" for the last year. I get a pair of jeans from the closet, they don't fit, a dress is too tight, a bra I can't close. And I just find a skirt to wear, or something else. Well, now, even the "fat" clothes don't fit!

I am lazy. And unmotivated. I have lost weight before, and know the work it takes. I just know I need to do it, but just can't find the energy. Sigh.
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @softblondechick - I can so relate. But I always chuck out all my tight clothes and keep one as a motivation to fit back in. I don't like peg and frame it on the wall but its more like out of sight, out of mind so when I've lost weight and the mood strikes and I remember, I take that one tight one I've saved, put it on to gauge my progress.

Don't beat yourself up over the laziness...we all go through phases where we are just unmotivated and immoveable...but these times allow you to think, reflect and also opens the doors to triggers (hopefully not brutal ones like some of the posters above) that help you to push yourself to be better.

It doesn't have to be limited to weight. Just do one positive thing everyday that builds to a good habit. It can be waking up early daily without pushing the snooze, then letting those positive vibes spread outwardly to other aspects of your life, including fitness. I find that weight loss on its own rarely makes a person happy, its all those good habits they have built in their lives which come together leading to fitness along the way, which truly brings that satisfaction. :smiley:
  • becky_aine
    becky_aine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can't believe those guys said that....what's wrong with them!?!

My motivation is 2 things....I just turned 40 this year and all of the sudden so many people I know are getting sick and having serious health issues. I have a little boy that I want to be around for a long time so I want to make sure I do everything I can to be here!

The other motivation is that I always think about losing weight...what am I eating...exercise, etc. and the weight is not off yet. I am so tired of thinking about it and nothing happening. Obviously I am doing something wrong so I need to get it together so that I can see some results from all of this "thinking". I'm mentally exhausted!
  • Frozenmango
    Frozenmango Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    It's been a bit of a yoyo for me, but the first time was when I saw a picture that some friends had taken at a get-together. I didn't even recognize myself because I didn't mentally see myself as that fat. It was a HUGE wakeup call. I went on a crash diet at that time and lost about 20lbs which I've never gained back, but I still have a lot more to go. I'm pretty tall (5'10") so I can hide my fat a lot better than some people, but the excess weight is still there.

Now that some stressful crap is behind me, I'm 100% focused on dropping the excess weight by the end of the year!
  • Nikkislim32
    Nikkislim32 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I went on a trip with a few friends and had a wonderful time. When a few of them shared the pics on FB, I barely recognized myself in the pictures. I was literally embarrassed, but realized that I had to do something about it.
  • thaylecarter
    thaylecarter Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I didn't have just one moment. There were many moments. But the last straw was the day my husband told me we were going for a walk. That was when I made up my mind to do this everyday. I have been trying to eat right and exercise. So far I've only missed 9 days of exercise in the last month. I want to finally be able to sit so close that I have to wear to work. I want to go shopping again. I want to like what I see when I look in the mirror. & I want to finally stop being envious of all these cute clothes that the skinny girls can wear.
  • AZnewbie00
    AZnewbie00 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    When I realized that I could no longer fit into regular sized clothes. I decided to try exercising and realized that I couldn't even make it beyond the warm up without being heavily out of breath. That was my ah ha moment. Since then I have been watching what I eat and have attempted to repeat the same cardio video a few times to see how far I can get. I realize even with the little exercise and the healthier eating to this date I feel a lot better.
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Getting sober and my bulimia being in remission caused me to feel this incredible sense of self love, and I just let go of control. I was, at my heaviest, 273 pounds. I got down to 194 and was checked in a ward where I came out 204 and prescribed medication that gave me a raging appetite that aided in my almost 50 pound weight gain. I didn't really care until it caught up to me. About 6 months ago my knees began to hurt. I had no energy. My back and hips began to ache all the time. I just generally became uncomfortable physically, all the time. I weighed myself and the scale said 242. I was mortified. I knew that if I didn't do something now, I would slowly get back up into the 270's - and probably go beyond that. I still love my body and I still love myself. I have self confidence whether I'm a size 26 or a size 12. I just want to feel better, and right now I feel like crud. I can't keep up with my 2 and 3 year old sons! I owe them better than that. My final straw was like a collection of moments that finally just made me wake up one day and say enough is enough. I have to stop this before it gets even more out of control.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    My doctor said: "You are obese. You need to lose weight. You have insulin resistance, which will develop into diabetes if you don't get your weight under control."

So I lost 83 pounds and reversed my insulin resistance. Just condensed all of this awesome.
  • Fivefarthings
    Fivefarthings Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    WHAT A DISGUSTING PERSON TO HAVE SAID SUCH TERRIBLE THINGS. :neutral:

OP, I know that was merely a trigger not the 'cause', but always remind yourself that you're not going to lose that weight because some D-bag made some comment about being 'fit'.

People will always find ways to undermine others, and even if you were 95 pounds with a supermodel frame a troll like that would always find ways to cut you down - its really not about your physical looks/frame but the fact that such people are insecure and project their insecurity onto you through the most cowardly form of pulling dominance over you rather than doing the brave, positive thing - to change themselves and their circumstances to better themselves (which is what you are doing).

I went through a similar time when I was going through depression and my husband's colleague, a sleazy d-bag who had actually tried to goad him to go strippers and hookers at a work function knowing full well my husband was married - said in front of me at a lunch function as two pretty young girls walked by in heels and form fitting clothes, "What a bunch of fitties. You love your fitties, don't you <insert husband's name>." While staring STRAIGHT AT ME with a grin on his face.

I never forgot that moment. It upset me so much, and even more when my husband didn't defend me. :'(

My self-confidence and self-esteem took such a terrible beating honestly I really empathise with anyone who has to go through any kind of bullying. I swore to never let anyone treat me or behave towards me like that. If someone tries that on me now, good luck to him. Unfortunately the nature of things is that...when you're strong enough to throw barbs back at their slimy faces no one really does things like that because they deliberately pick on the perceived weak ones.

It wasn't the trigger for me as I'm not as strong as you are to use such an event to motivate myself into being a better person FOR ME, but it was the coal into a furnace that started heating up to pave the way to my weight loss, independence and mental strength today over a series of years and events.

Thanks for sharing! :smiley:

[/quote]

I feel sad for you that your husband didn't stick up for you. My previous boyfriend was a bit like that; when we first met I was skinny and we used to go to the gym all the time, but the I got injured at work and couldn't work out so started to put on weight. My boyfriend (who later became my fiancé) would actually tell me I had 'chunky things', used to call me 'chunky monkey two chins' and 'jiggles'. And for some reason I used to think this was okay! I tried to get back into fitness but whenever we went to the gym, he always used to tell me I wasn't working hard enough, even though I was pouring with sweat, so I used to feel bad and just eat more. Luckily I gave his sorry *kitten* the heave-ho about two years ago and am now with a lovely supportive man who loves me even though I'm the heaviest I've ever been. I hope if that ever happens again you give your husband a kick up the *kitten* to defend you!
  • kraymike
    kraymike Posts: 10 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Mine was the birth of my first child 11 weeks ago and getting on the scales to find out I was the heaviest I've ever been! It's the woman that's meant to have cravings while pregnant. Well she had very few and I ate like a god damn pig. I was over 20 stone (over 280lbs). Well actually over 300lbs I was. 5 weeks in and I've lost 14 lbs which includes a holiday in the middle where I just kind of ate anything and everything. That was my kind of blow out and now ITS ON!
  • cjmolm
    cjmolm Posts: 8 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My wake up call came via a throwaway remark from a relative, who didn't mean any offence, but it shook me to the core. There is a band in the UK, popular more so in the 1980's, called Bad Manners. The band was fronted by a lead singer who must easily have been 20 stone+. My relative was saying how he had been to see them on a reunion tour and that the singer had lost a lot of weight. I asked what he looked like now and the reply was "he's bigger than me, but not as big as you". I don't know why, but this is probably the wake up call I needed to see that my weight gain was purely self inflicted by poor eating/snacking choices and weak excuses when it comes to exercise.