2015 Adopt a Noob Official MFP Thread

Options

Replies

• justjoanne7
    justjoanne7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a "pseudo newbie" - I've been on MFP on and off for a few years. I started my weight loss journey probably around 4 years ago on Weight Watchers, dropped about 30lbs, fell off the wagon and gained it all back. In 2013, I was about 230lbs and as heavy as I was at 9mos pregnant. I started the Paleo diet, working out (Shaun T's T25), and the weight fell off. Between April of '13 and August of '13 I was down to about 198. Right now I hover around 210, and I want to drop down to my healthy weight range close to 140. I know, it's a long way to go, and I struggle when I don't see instant results. Plus, I love food.

Right now I am logging everything I eat, trying to stay away from bread/pasta/etc. I am working out 5-6 days a week, on my own combination of beach body workouts and gym classes (kettlebells/zumba), and track my steps on fitbit.

It would really be great to have some guidance with someone who has been "sorta" paleo - as I see that high protein/veggies/fruit (clean eating) and low carb seems to work for me.

Thanks!
    Joanne
  • mrsbeccacompton89
    mrsbeccacompton89 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm new and would like to be adopted. Need help losing pregnancy weight from all four of my kids lol Just had my last one a month ago :)
  • laurrosk
    laurrosk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am looking for a mentor. I am new to the MFP community and need the motivation. I work an office job so a lot of sitting and need to get my butt moving. Plus I am look for a way to eat better and learn the right way to portion. Thanks!
  • xmikeyw
    xmikeyw Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Help i keep starting and then not following through need to lose a lot of weight not happy with my fat XXL self, Mike
    Who can help me and kick me???
  • mgonyer123
    mgonyer123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for a mentor! I have about 49lbs left to lose. I'm 31 and pretty dedicated to becoming healthier for my kids (namely my oldest who is sadly following my unhealthy path)

I'd like some one who knows about strength training (to a degree nothing fancy) and has no problem looking at my diary and telling me what um doing right AND wrong!

Let's do this!
  • kailyface
    kailyface Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy to volunteer!

My name is Kaily! I'm more geared towards losing inches than pounds, so I don't know how many pounds I've lost. Over my years of getting fit I have dropped about 4 pant sizes and about 15 inches overall. I'm still working at it and learning every day. I'd love to share my knowledge with others!
  • Navallez
    Navallez Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hi I consider my self a newbie, was on for a while lost about 40 lbs and gained it all back. No excuse but I'm Hispanic and are way of cooking tends to have many calories so to be able to cut calories, I would go overboard and my calorie intake was too low and I exercised alot. Not realistic for a 300+ lbs person. Like I said no excuses anyone can cook and eat healthy I just did not do it the right away. Looking for a mentor who knows what it feels like to lose more than 100lbs :) just so I can get an insight on the things they did to be successful.
  • xoxoamandaz
    xoxoamandaz Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am looking for a mentor. Im 26, 5'4", and 245lbs. Looking to lose weight and be healthier. I want to lose around 80-100 lbs. I need help staying motivated and finding healthier food choices because I am a very picky eater.

My main focus for a mentor is someone who can help me stay motivated to eat right and exercise. Someone to hold me accountable....thanks guys!!!
  • Wargi
    Wargi Posts: 14 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hello I'm Melissa 18 years old and looking for a mentor. When I was 13-14 I suffered from bulimia which later converted into full blown anorexia. At my lowest point I weighed less than 80lbs at 5'3", but I managed to recover. It's been almost 4 years since I recovered but I've been paranoid I would bounce back into my old habits.

I have tried losing weight the normal way numerous times since I recovered, but have never been able to stick with it. I would always beat myself up whenever I would go over the calorie limit. So for about a year now I tried not to worry about my weight at all and just eat whatever I want. Needless to say I gained even more and am currently both unhappy and embarrassed of my body.

I'm looking for a lifestyle change not just a diet. I want to be OK with me going over my calorie limits. Because I know it isn't the end of the world if I do. I don't want my diet to control my life, my mind tends to do this unintentionally.

I have been on this site previously but decided it would be best to make a new account and start from scratch. I'm mainly looking for someone who would be forgiving, but also critical when needed, and to motivate me so I don't give up on my journey.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Bumping because yeah.
  • dunlol
    dunlol Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Can I still adopt a noob?
    I am currently 21, but was overweight from the ages of five to eighteen. It's not because I was inactive, it's because I like to eat a lot, and I was normally very active and was able to maintain my weight. There were periods when I became very slim, and periods in which I was inactive for a few weeks and gained a lot of weight. Before I went off to college, I decided to make some changes. I've lost weight without tracking anything, and I've gained it back (in the past). I decided tracking macros would be the perfect solution; however, it took a lot of trial and error with some unhealthy cycles before finding something that worked for me. I read a lot about the body as a biochemist (undergrad) and know a lot about nutrition. I have accumulated a lot of information, and would like to share it with someone who is looking to lose weight but is lost and/or feels it's hopeless for whatever reason.
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Has found his noobs and is no longer accepting new applicants. :)

---
    I'd be willing to help out a few new people who are ready and motivated to make changes in their lives.

I started as a 300lb smoker and am now a fairly lean 215lb runner (road and now trail), cycler (road and trail), swimmer, hiker and backpacker - anything is possible for those who try!

I am a firm believer in "moderation, not deprivation, everything is fine in moderation" when I started on MFP 2 or 3 years ago I made this rule to follow and have stuck with it. It might have taken me a little longer than some others to achieve my goals (although my goals always evolve so achieving them is really going from one to the next) but I am happy healthy and I have no regrets in the way I have done it. I eat sweets and junk on occasion, I think it's part of life and good times but it no longer rules my life. Learning when to quit, learning when to say no and sometimes when to get a little extra exercise to compensate is just part of the process.

Exercise is one of a few keys that I follow religiously, calories in - calories out is another - you must run a deficit to lose. Junk, fast food on a regular basis are killers as is too much processed food, natural food is healthy food and healthy food comes from natural foods. I started slowly at first, reducing bad foods and eating less, taking walks, then going for bike rides, one things builds into another and before you realize it you are a new person with a new mindset and new energy. This doesn't mean that I'd force any one to do what I do, you need to find what interests you or you will not stick with it.

If you would like me to help you out please send me an brief email with a little about yourself. I can not motivate you or any one else, motivation comes from inside yourself. I will ask you to figure out what motivates you and get you to put them on your profile. I'll also get you to make realistic goals, both long and short term, they are real gauges to measure your progress by.

Most of all, this is a life long lifestyle change, learning new ways to eat and nourish, energize, lose weight and become fit is what it's all about and believe it or not it can be quite enjoyable! Lastly, i will call things as I see them. There are many ways to get to where you want to go and each of us needs to find our own way but I will let you know if I think that you are on the wrong track or doing something that is hazardous to your health.
  • PunkDollx
    PunkDollx Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP and looking for a mentor. I'm 21, 5'7 & weigh 185. My goal is to lose 40-50 pounds but I want to completely change my lifestyle as well. I've been pretty unhealthy for a while and anytime I tried a diet I would mess up and use that as an excuse to just continue to eat junk food. I'm finally ready to stop making excuses for myself and I'm looking for a mentor who can support me, help me stay focused and give me advice during my journey. Thanks :smile:
  • KristiMW72
    KristiMW72 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    UmmSqueaky wrote: »
    I would be happy to mentor a few newbies, especially if you're fellow geeks (or even better, cosplayers). Bonus points if you're a short geek (cuz short people have lower calorie limits and our own special problems).

I'm 33 years old and have spent my entire adult life trying and failing to lose weight and get healthy. I was on sparkpeople for years, would lose 10-15 lbs, and then gain back 20. I yo yo-ed my way from the 150s all the way up to 205 lbs. I finally hit rock bottom a year ago - after avoiding pictures of myself for years, I had taken up cosplay. And you can't avoid pictures of yourself if you dress up in costume. I logged onto MFP (which I had tried the previous year and fallen away), and have been logging every day since.

In the last year, I've lost 85 lbs through good old fashion eat less, move more. In general, I eat healthier than I did before, but I don't eat "clean" (however you define that). I eat out at least once a week. I love McDonalds. I love cookies. I love fried chicken. I love chocolate. The big difference is now I know how much my body needs (which is sadly not much), so I'm all about the portion control. Also planning and not giving in to cravings. If I want McDonalds, I'm not going to get in the car and get it right now. I plan to have it on the weekend, when I know that I can fit it into my calorie limit. I am not big on giving anything up, be it gluten or carbs or soda or whatever.

I also exercise. A lot. Well, not so much now that I can't bike commute, but I am a big proponent of working exercise into your daily life (walk on your lunch hour, bike to work if possible) as well as going to the gym regularly.

And finally, I believe that good friends are essential to success on MFP. An active friends list, interacting with said friends, cheering them on, asking for advice, has been what keeps me coming back here every day for the last 392 days.

• KristiMW72
    KristiMW72 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely love to be your friend on MFP! Reading this post, it greatly mirrored myself! I'm at around 205lbs, and would like to lose about 70lbs. Lost about 20lbs, a couple years ago, gained it back plus about another 25 more!
  • laurel30
    laurel30 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Would love a female mentor from Australia , new to MFP and would appreciate someone telling me what I am doing wrong/right.
  • dimms89
    dimms89 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm new, hoping to find a mentor, or even just some friends to give me that extra push! I'm 25, female, 5'3. CW: 174 lbs, GW: 120ish?

Growing up, I was never overweight. Throughout high school, I stayed around 130 lbs and was pretty comfortable with that. I probably started gaining weight in university - the good ol' freshman 15...except it didn't stop there.

For the past three years, I've worked in the food industry. I found myself snacking constantly; having food available to me at all times, I feel, was detrimental to any effort to keep things under control. However, I recently started working as a youth worker, so it's a much more active job, which I'm happy about. Also, part of the program's mandate is to promote a healthy lifestyle to children, so it's important that I practice what I preach.

I've tried this in the past, and I just can't stick with it. I'd like to think of myself as an ambitious, strong-willed person, but when it comes to food, especially junk, I just have no control. However, I love how I feel when I'm conscious of what I'm eating. I actually feel healthier, cleaner. I just always fall off the wagon.

Similarly, I find it hard to commit to physical activity. Last summer, I started a C25K program on my own. A few weeks in, I was doing really well...and I just stopped, for absolutely no reason. I felt great, I was making progress, and then nothing. I get so angry at myself because I know I'm capable. I'm just lazy. But I really, truly want to change.

It's gotten to the point that I just can't bear to gain anymore; I don't like how I look, and more importantly, I don't like how I feel.

So I guess that's it. I don't just want to lose weight. I want to be healthy. If anyone wants to help me along this journey, I'd be really happy. :)

Thanks for reading!

• morinmark1886
    morinmark1886 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a 28 year old male and I am morbidly obese. I have started to go to the gym and even change lifestyle. I am currently 569 lbs and I am really serious about losing the weight, because, at this point it is a matter of life and death. For my size I move really well and I have been working out again for about two weeks. I haven't weighed myself since I don't really know if I have lost anything. If I have I am sure that it is just water weight. I would really like a mentor to offer me some help with my meals. Lately I have been able to keep myself to 2300 calories day. I don't drink anything but water I have cut all of my sodas out. If you feel up to the challenge of helping me I would greatly appreciate help I can get. I have friends that help with workouts, but they all have day jobs and haven't been able to assist me with a meal plan and I don't want to waist anymore time is there anyone out there that might be willing to help me? You can contact me at morin.mark1886@gmail.com
  • jpaulsims
    jpaulsims Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm 45, male, 6'1". I've been at this for 8 weeks and started at 245 lbs. My current weight is 229, first time I've been under 230 in 10 years! I've been focusing on my diet so far with a target of 1750 calories. I've been pretty good about staying within that target. Took my family on a cruise two weeks ago and only gained 2 lbs! I started my exercise routine this past week, going 5 days. I'm currently using machines and dumbbells as I start out. Here's my focus each day, starting with 10 mins cycling each session to get my HR up (can't run as I get bad shin splints). Monday-chest/biceps, Tuesday-back, Wed-40 mins cardio only, Thurs-legs/traps, Fri-shoulders, triceps and abs. My exercise routine is probably where I need the most help to make sure I'm optimizing my time. If anyone wants to help out that'd be great!
  • abel_teklai
    abel_teklai Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I need a mentor! New and can't seem to lose weight!!
This discussion has been closed.