Emotional Eating&FOOD ADDICT

Options
betsyellens22
betsyellens22 Posts: 23 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi I'm Betsy and I have a bad relationship with food. I seem to really struggle with emotional eating specifically. I tend to want to eat, or atleast get an urge, when I see a thinner/more attractive woman than me. Probably because I subconciously think that I will never reach my goal weight so I mise well eat whatever I want (super unhealthy)! Also, I feel like I am a food addict in the sense that I eat if it is just available, or someone else is eating so I feel like I need too. Mmmmmm craving cake right now actually! Any other young women or men feel this way? Im just looking to see if I am not alone....everyone share their tips as they please, or how you overcome urges.

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Ok
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    All living people are food addicts.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Have you been diagnosed by a doctor with BED? If you haven't, then you're not a food addict.
  • betsyellens22
    Options
    I typed up a 5 paragraph discussion, and all it showed is that first sentence! Im so upset, and I cant delete it lol.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Have you been diagnosed by a doctor with BED? If you haven't, then you're not a food addict.

interesting. I wonder how many undiagnosed people live out in the world.

• betsyellens22
    Options
    @shell1005 thanks, i just summarized what I had meant to put in the beginning.
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

right?? I havent been to the doctor in a few years anyway, but I've been meaning to

• yopeeps025
    Options
    @shell1005 thanks, i just summarized what I had meant to put in the beginning.
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

right?? I havent been to the doctor in a few years anyway, but I've been meaning to

That's not good. I did the same to. No health insurance sucks/
  • yopeeps025
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ok. I see where you come from OP. Food used to have a nice psychological effect on me. It does not anymore. Other things and activities give a better effect than food ever did. Emotional eating sucks. Been there down that. What I did was first realize this was happening. Accept that it was a way I cope with stress. I found ways that were better IMO to cope with stress. Emotional eating was almost gone just like that.
  • betsyellens22
    Options
    Ok so new question. How to overcome self-esteem issues? I just hit 170lbs at 5'5", and as a 20 year old woman in this society... ESPECIALLY during summer, its rough.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Ok so new question. How to overcome self-esteem issues? I just hit 170lbs at 5'5", and as a 20 year old woman in this society... ESPECIALLY during summer, its rough.

honestly no one can really give you sure answer that would work for you.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I am not young now but I was once. I have had an unhealthy relationship with food and body image. Right now I am strong and feel confident that I can continue to eat healthy and exercise. I am a survivor of child sexual abuse. Previously when I lost weight and attracted the attention of men. I would want to eat to gain weight to protect myself. Also if I am depressed, I eat to comfort myself, my favorites are ruffles with green onion dip and Pepsi. I could go through a pint of dip with a huge bag of chips and a six pack of Pepsi in 2 hours. If it was really bad I would add chocolate. I am currently on medication and have had years of therapy. I was not able to eat right, exercise or lose weight until I had my PTS, anxiety, and depression under control. Please see a health care professional for a mental health screening.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

It gets easier to be comfortable with yourself as you get older. I'm 28 with two kids and I already give zero fecks about what anyone else thinks when they look at me. I'm losing weight for myself and will be sculpting my body for myself and no one else.

Just remember that the only person whose opinon matters is yours. The makeup that you wear, the clothes that you wear, the body that you are working towards - it is all about what makes YOU happy and feel pretty. At the end of the day, if you're at the pool in a bathing suit with a few extra pounds, no one actually cares. It's all about how you project yourself and how you feel. If losing weight would make you feel more confident, then work towards that and give yourself credit for every little accomplishment that you make along the way. You'd be surprised how much of an effect a few little successes will have on your confidence. Just knowing that you are capable of doing it will make a huge difference.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

A good place to start would be to quit comparing yourself to others and learn to love yourself. There is a quote that I see on here every once in awhile that you might want to keep in mind.

"Comparison is the thief of joy".

Find things that you love about yourself, both physically and characteristically. Write all of those things down. Read that list when you start to find yourself feeling low because you are comparing yourself to someone else. I would also suggest putting that quote on the list.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    go to the dr.
    there is also an overeaters anonymous group here. you could see if it fits you and the support you need. it's to help you find a better relationship with food and work on a better you.
    group link
  • Dawn410
    Dawn410 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I recently read some very helpful advice on here. A poster said that when they have the urge to eat, they ask themselves "How long has it been since I last ate?" if less then 2 hours, then the urge isnot due to hunger. drink a glass of water and move on. At 2 hours, if hungry, have a small snack. I have stopped myself from mindlessly eating so many times since reading that advice.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Yes, so many people said it: you really need to seek some professional help.

Emotional eating is a tough challenge to deal with, but learning about why you reach out for food to medicate yourself is a real eye opener.

As for being a food addict: I would be very careful about diagnosing yourself. To me, your issue sounds like low self esteem and the inability to accept the fact that you always have choices when it comes to food. :)
  • betsyellens22
    Options
    I am not young now but I was once. I have had an unhealthy relationship with food and body image. Right now I am strong and feel confident that I can continue to eat healthy and exercise. I am a survivor of child sexual abuse. Previously when I lost weight and attracted the attention of men. I would want to eat to gain weight to protect myself. Also if I am depressed, I eat to comfort myself, my favorites are ruffles with green onion dip and Pepsi. I could go through a pint of dip with a huge bag of chips and a six pack of Pepsi in 2 hours. If it was really bad I would add chocolate. I am currently on medication and have had years of therapy. I was not able to eat right, exercise or lose weight until I had my PTS, anxiety, and depression under control. Please see a health care professional for a mental health screening.
    Thank you for sharing!! :) And this goes for everyone, not just you - Everyone seems to be telling me to get help? Ive had my share of therapy and anti depressants. Having low self esteem doesnt mean I need a mental screening. I just assumed, appararently I am wrong, that people always have something about them that they dont like. I am working to change what I dont like about myself (my weight).