Emotional Eating&FOOD ADDICT

Options

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Have you been diagnosed by a doctor with BED? If you haven't, then you're not a food addict.

sorry peaches, but I am a (recovering) binge eater, and NOT a food addict. One doesnt necessarily mean the other.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I am not young now but I was once. I have had an unhealthy relationship with food and body image. Right now I am strong and feel confident that I can continue to eat healthy and exercise. I am a survivor of child sexual abuse. Previously when I lost weight and attracted the attention of men. I would want to eat to gain weight to protect myself. Also if I am depressed, I eat to comfort myself, my favorites are ruffles with green onion dip and Pepsi. I could go through a pint of dip with a huge bag of chips and a six pack of Pepsi in 2 hours. If it was really bad I would add chocolate. I am currently on medication and have had years of therapy. I was not able to eat right, exercise or lose weight until I had my PTS, anxiety, and depression under control. Please see a health care professional for a mental health screening.
    Thank you for sharing!! :) And this goes for everyone, not just you - Everyone seems to be telling me to get help? Ive had my share of therapy and anti depressants. Having low self esteem doesnt mean I need a mental screening. I just assumed, appararently I am wrong, that people always have something about them that they dont like. I am working to change what I dont like about myself (my weight).

OK there is something I don't like about myself. Also I don't write what you write in the OP though. You are still denying this issue you have.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    OP- you should see a doctor and therapist who specializes in eating disorders. FWIW- I am a size zero, and there are plenty of women out there who are thinner, and prettier than me. You need to develop some confidence in what YOU bring to the table.
  • betsyellens22
    betsyellens22 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    @yopeeps025 lol how am I denying my own issues when I made a post admitting to my issues? Look, im new here, I just wanted to have a discussion with people and be open about our weight problems together.
  • yopeeps025
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @yopeeps025 lol how am I denying my own issues when I made a post admitting to my issues? Look, im new here, I just wanted to have a discussion with people and be open about our weight problems together.

A lot of folks say you might want to consider seeking help. I agree with that statement. So then you claim to have a issue that you don't want to seek actually help for. That in a way is denying you truly have the issue.
  • betsyellens22
    Options
    Hi I'm Betsy and I have a bad relationship with food.
    i already admitted it. I guess my intentions of this post was to have people tell me little inspirations they've done to resist urges. Not get bashed into seeking professional help. Theres ways to get help for yourself than spend money on going to a special doctor. My bad!

• yopeeps025
    Options
    i already admitted it. I guess my intentions of this post was to have people tell me little inspirations they've done to resist urges. Not get bashed into seeking professional help. Theres ways to get help for yourself than spend money on going to a special doctor. My bad!

That is a shame that you feel that way about professions like that. BTW read the other things you wrote in this forum. Those stick out more than the OP.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    getting help doesn't have to cost money. but it does require you to take responsibility for your eating habits. and changing your relationship with food. listen to the recovering food addict in this thread.

since there is such things as food addicts perhaps try not to use it so flippantly.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

There is nothing bad about going to talk to someone about it. A lot of people have done so, including myself. It's nothing to be ashamed of and it's not bashing to suggest it. It doesn't make anyone weak or defective. Sometimes talking to a professional can put things into perspective. If you don't feel like you need it then don't go. Not everyone is going to give advice that you might agree with. Just take the advice that you feel would apply to you and file away the rest.

I am curious as to why you are focusing on defending yourself instead of the advice that was given to you that didn't involve professional help.
  • betsyellens22
    Options
    @jkal1979 i did take in and appreciated all the advice everyone has posted. I have just learned to defend myself, and I guess I dont understand why certain people only commented for me to seek help rather than being a part of the discussion and sharing food binging (i made the mistake of calling myself a food addict) advice.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    The thing about therapy is just because you have had it multiple times in the past, that you will never need it again. I have graduated therapy and was doing great for years only to find myself in need of it again. I have several screenings every year for conditions (i.e. breast cancer) I have never had. With my history, it is irresponsible if my doctor and I don't do routine screens. Suggesting you have a screening is not the same as suggesting you have a disorder.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    @jkal1979 i did take in and appreciated all the advice everyone has posted. I have just learned to defend myself, and I guess I dont understand why certain people only commented for me to seek help rather than being a part of the discussion and sharing food binging (i made the mistake of calling myself a food addict) advice.

Because that is not how you would help a addict in whatever. Me giving you advice does nothing to the power food has over you if you are a food addict.

• betsyellens22
    Options
    Im sure if the title of this post said 'Binging Habit' instead of 'Food Addict' everyone would have acted differently. Sorry I didnt know the difference, I will admit that.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Im sure if the title of this post said 'Binging Habit' instead of 'Food Addict' everyone would have acted differently. Sorry I didnt know the difference, I will admit that.

I would of put the same comments I am now OP. The title doesn't do anything.

• betsyellens22
    Options
    Ok :|
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

But that's the thing, if you feel like you have a food addiction or a "binging habit" and low self esteem then suggesting that you seek professional help IS being part of the discussion. People are giving advice based on what helped them with their own experiences.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Have you been diagnosed by a doctor with BED? If you haven't, then you're not a food addict.

sorry peaches, but I am a (recovering) binge eater, and NOT a food addict. One doesnt necessarily mean the other.

Huh? What is a food addict? Everyone HAS to eat food, so it's NOT an addiction. A binge eater is someone out of control with eating. Do you think that breathing is an addiction as well? How about drinking water?