I can't lose any weight need advice!

Options
I am a very avid exerciser I am 6'0 250lbs body fat is 22% ; on a daily basis I run 3 miles , 30 minutes on the elliptical, 15 minutes on the stationary bike ,and do about 10 strength training exercises and I am consuming approx 1,500 calories a day but I just can't seem to lose any weight why?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If all those numbers are correct, you should probably talk to a doctor about it.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your calories? Likely you are eating more than you think.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary? How long have you been trying to lose weight for?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's hard to answer these kinds of posts without more details. How long has it been since you last saw a drop on the scale? If it's only been a few weeks, then it's possible that it's just a natural stall and will go away on its own.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear

Other than that, the most common problems we see come from underestimating calories eaten and overestimating calories burned.

Opening your diary might help to get you more specific advice if you're comfortable doing so.

You're logging everything you eat? Including condiments, cooking oils, veggies, cheat days, etc? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? Most people can be off in their estimates by several hundred calories when they eyeball portions. Measuring cups are better, but a food scale is going to be the most accurate.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

And make sure that you've calculated your calorie goals appropriately. Remember that these are just estimates. You may need to play around a little to find what works best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

If you're exercising and eating back your earned exercise calories, be sure that you're using accurate estimates of your burn. MFP and gym machines have a tendency to overestimate certain activities, which can cause you to eat back more calories than you need to. Even a heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate. If you're eating those extra earned calories it might be a good idea to eat only 50-75% of those.

And there's something to be said for the fact that some people just burn fewer calories than the generic equations predict. If that's the case for you, you may need to adjust your calories a little lower until you start losing again.

tl;dr version:

1uqqdv2zz2e2.jpg
  • donnellharmon
    donnellharmon Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well I measure my calories through fitness pal but all I consume is Fish , salad , chicken , eggs , water , almonds and all my food is grilled
  • donnellharmon
    donnellharmon Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If all those numbers are correct, you should probably talk to a doctor about it.

What makes you say that
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring your food on a food scale? If not, you may be eating more than you think.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

What makes you say that
    There's no way on God's green earth that a healthy man of your size with your exercise wouldn't lose weight on 1500 calories a day.

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    But are you weighing ALL your solid food on a food scale? So not using cups and spoons or serving sizes?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

What makes you say that
    There's no way on God's green earth that a healthy man of your size with your exercise wouldn't lose weight on 1500 calories a day.

+1 OP. Time to go see a doctor.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options

What makes you say that

because if you truely are consuming 1500 calories a day you should be losing weight otherwise you have a medical condition which i suspect you dont and you are eating more calories than you think? Are you weighting all your food to know the exact calories for everything you eat? How do you know your are eating 1500 calories?
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Well I measure my calories through fitness pal

Meaning you work out your calories by weighing your food, checking the calories per 100g on the packet and adding that number to your diary by finding the correct entry in the MFP database, or you eat a piece of fish, search the database for 'fish' then add the first result?

Opening your diary would answer most of our questions.
  • BWBTrish
    Options

What makes you say that

IF he is eating 1500 calories..you dont know he didn't tell you how he calculate his calories.
    He can maybe eyeball it/guesstimate...whatever.

If he really is eating 1500, than yes i agree. But we dont know.
    A lot of people come in her and open a post with i eat less or only 1000 calories and i cant lose weight.
    When you ask further, most of the time we find the issue ( which isn't medical at all). So lets see what OP really eats and than give advice.
  • DeguelloTex
    edited June 2015
    Options

What makes you say that

IF he is eating 1500 calories..you dont know he didn't tell you how he calculate his calories.

A lot of people come in her and open a post with i eat less or only 1000 calories and i cant lose weight.
    When you ask further, most of the time we find the issue ( which isn't medical at all). So lets see what OP really eats and than give advice.
    "If" was the very first word in my very first response. There was a reason for that.

And let's keep "our" advice on how to respond to "ourselves."

• BWBTrish
    Options

What makes you say that

"If" was the very first word in my very first response. There was a reason for that.

I know but what i mean is ask further. The only thing he read now is the go to the doctor part lol

So OP open your diary would help.

• DeguelloTex
    Options

What makes you say that

I know but what i mean is ask further. The only thing he read now is the go to the doctor part lol

It seems to have gotten his attention, right?

• pinklesworth
    pinklesworth Posts: 3 Member
    Options
  • Carrianna
    Carrianna Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You don't look bad and if you are at 22% body fat then you would have 195lbs of lean weight on you. You might be drinking your calories, which is easy to do. Cut out all but water for a week and see what happens.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP

do you use a food scale?
    do you eat back 100% of calories burned?
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I am a very avid exerciser I am 6'0 250lbs body fat is 22% ; on a daily basis I run 3 miles , 30 minutes on the elliptical, 15 minutes on the stationary bike ,and do about 10 strength training exercises and I am consuming approx 1,500 calories a day but I just can't seem to lose any weight why?

Don't see a doctor just yet.
    exercise more.. instead of 3mile run, do a 4 mile run.
    Instead of eating 1500 calories, eat 1700 calories
    Instead of eating a lot of carbs, try no carbs or as little as possible.
    change things up a bit for a week or two and see what happens.