Tired of chicken!

Options
iamcrayon
iamcrayon Posts: 11 Member
I'm trying to lose weight and I've grown tired of chicken breast. I don't want to eat chicken for at least a week (maybe two). This week I prepared baked salmon two different ways. The first is Salmon with Brag's Liquid Aminos and the other is just with Mrs. Dash Lemon Zest Sprinkled. Nothing too fancy. Is salmon a healthy alternative? What else can I prepare?

Thanks for the ideas! :smile:

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    There is no reason not to eat other meats. Just weigh out your portion so you know how many calories you're getting. I eat pork, beef, chicken and had no issue losing and it helped me hit my protein and fat minimums.
  • corryigo
    corryigo Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    salmon is very good, You can eat anything, just moderate and weigh everything. Portion control is the most important thing. I also get sick of chicken, but it is so cheap and an excellent choice for low cals and high protein. The amount I buy of boneless skinless chicken breasts can be described as disturbing to some :)
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Shrimp is delicious, high protein, and low cal. I eat it with a seafood cocktail sauce for a snack sometimes. Or grilled for supper.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Beef, pork & ham, venison, turkey, bison, fish, shellfish. The possibilities are really endless as long as you can fit them into your calorie and nutrition goals.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Go to the butcher section of any grocery store and pick up anything that looks good. I love all kinds of steak, ground beef, chicken, turkey, bacon, sausages and fish (not just salmon). Just keep in mind, they all have different calorie amounts and different nutrient profiles. But all meats can fit in a healthy diet.
  • soonersgirl
    soonersgirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I use ground turkey all the time. I make taco salads with it..turkey meatloaf..meatballs.
  • iamcrayon
    iamcrayon Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I know .... I'm struggling with that too.

Tonite I got ground lamb for meatloaf. Wednesday we're making a baked eggplant parmigiane. And last week, I had fresh fish.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    salmon, steak, tuna, turkey, pork, lamb.

beans.tofu (if you're down for that)
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Shrimp, fish, scallops, crab, pork, beef, beans, grains, nuts, seeds, chocolate (lol)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    why are you just eating chicken? what's wrong with fish, shell fish, lean cuts of pork, lean cuts of beef, etc? why do so many people think they can eat nothing but chicken? baffling....
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Turkey, pork, tuna - so many kinds of fish - etc.

Liming red meat, which I'm guessing you're doing since you're asking what you can eat (I assume you're switching from mostly red meat and some chicken), does not limit you to chicken breast only. :)

You could eliminate meat entirely and still have a completely healthy diet, too. A little work has to be done, but people do it every day. :)
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey (tacos! taco salad! meatballs! burgers!), steak, pork tenderloin, pork chop, talapia, salmon, tuna, eggs, etc.
  • clairempfit
    clairempfit Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! Chicken sure does get old sometimes but it is definitely one of the best things to eat when it comes to eating healthy. I suggest adding different flavorful spices to it to change it up a bit. If that doesn't help, then I would try some other healthy meats! My favorites are salmon filets, lean turkey burgers, shrimp sautéed in olive oil, tuna, and beef!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    So, don't eat chicken breasts all the time. Eat whatever you want that fits your calorie goal.
    I eat pork, beef, chicken, turkey, and fish. I get chicken thighs or drumsticks as well as the breast meat. I eat meatless meals as well.
  • SamLD88
    SamLD88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You could also try some vegetarian options, like quinoa or other grain-based dishes that are moderately high in protein and fiber, not to mention filling. Moving away from meat-based meals can be cheaper and just as delicious.

Also, you could try some different sausages. Costco has some A+++ chicken sausages, like Aidell's Mango+Jalapeño Chicken Sausage...
  • tspencer824
    tspencer824 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey, I would suggest ground turkey too. I spice mine up with Fiesta Lime Mrs. Dash and some chipotle Cholula. It is very good!

When I am not on 2 week show cut, I eat ground beef, steak, pork and don't forget protein shakes as well. Fish is a good option, too.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Have you tried chicken thighs? Sometimes I have breast, sometimes thigh. I like that the thighs are more juicy and tasteful. Theres also beef, pork, turkey, variety of seafood... etc
  • ccourcha
    ccourcha Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Does it have a face? Eat it!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    There are so many ways to prepare chicken, and good point vixtris about different cuts. E.g. "meatballs" made with breasts in the cuisinart freeze/defrost easily (raw) and go great in everything from a ginger lemon grass soup on rice noodles to pasta marinara--very versatile. You can have Moroccan, French, Thai, Mexican--a different cuisine every night of the week--with chicken. Is it possible you're in a chicken recipe rut?

I do agree with everyone else that there's no reason to stick with what you're tired of, though. A current favorite around here for ease and economy is slow cooker pulled pork. Pork shoulder (sometimes labeled butt) is a cheap cut, and cooking low & slow renders all the fat & connective tissue leaving you with an incredibly tender low fat meat that is also very versatile--pork tacos, pulled pork hash, salpicon.

I love salmon, too. Salmon farming is probably more sustainable for salmon populations, but it has its own dangers (to wild fish and to people). Atlantic salmon is high in Mercury (farmed or wild). There are other contaminants, natural and man made. It's one of those foods that's probably best in moderation, once or twice a week.