Options
Why do women seek to have a thigh gap?
What's the big deal?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    sign of slimness, low enough weight????

but in reality it just means that they are built that way....genetics.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't think most women do that. It's certainly not something I've ever heard a friend discuss. It's not a common goal here.

The ones who do are probably thinking they look better that way.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    It's just another arbitrary and pointless status symbol which will eventually be replaced by something equally arbitrary and pointless.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. I could care less about a gap in my thighs or not
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I don't think they do. I've only ever seen one poster who actually said she wanted a thigh gap, and dozens of posts about why everybody wants one. I think it's massively overblown on the internet (particularly Instagram) and I have never known anyone actually aspiring to having one.

Could be because of my age, I guess. I suspect if their truly is a small contingent that admires this, it's probably mainly teenage girls and very young women.
  • amr32r
    amr32r Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    None of my friends ever talk about that ..most of them want thick, toned legs which probably wouldnt work with a gap
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Not again with the insipid thigh gap........
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    The only posts I see about this are people asking why other people want one. I don't think I've come across someone who actually wants one.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Unrealistic views of body image?
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Why do women seek to have a flat stomach? Or a small waist? Or prominent collar bones?

Most likely because they like how it looks. It's the same reason some want a thigh gap. I am neutral on it, but if somebody else wants to look that way I have no problem with it.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    haha it's just some *kitten* that gets a hashtag and becomes popular because it has a hashtag

just a self-fulfilling prophecy

like many popular things on the internet, it has no substantive value of its own
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    its very important...for when you do exams you can put your phone on your chair and peek through your thigh gap at the right answers.

B)
  • StaceyMacIntyre
    StaceyMacIntyre Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was in highschool it wasn't the thigh gap. Everyone wanted visible hipbones. I think it's unfortunately one of those not always attainable standards of beauty that younger girls become obsessed with.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I had a gap until about seven years ago. I'm actually happy my legs are larger...when I lose muscle there I feel like I have toothpick legs.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    It's just a tumblr trend that some teenage girls think is a sign of beauty. It'll pass. I just dread seeing what the next fad will be.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    It's the cost of clothing. The thighs of your jeans can only take so much abuse.

I'll probably never have thigh gap, though. A girl can dream...
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Is it Friday already?
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    It seems to be something that I see a lot on social media (Instagram, YouTube, etc) but no one admits to in real life. I had one in high school, don't miss it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Thigh gaps are passe, unless you actually have one, in which case it's just one more variation on having nice legs.