Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Thigh GAP?

Why do women seek to have a thigh gap?
What's the big deal?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    sign of slimness, low enough weight????

but in reality it just means that they are built that way....genetics.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    I don't think most women do that. It's certainly not something I've ever heard a friend discuss. It's not a common goal here.

The ones who do are probably thinking they look better that way.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    It's just another arbitrary and pointless status symbol which will eventually be replaced by something equally arbitrary and pointless.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    I have no idea. I could care less about a gap in my thighs or not
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    I don't think they do. I've only ever seen one poster who actually said she wanted a thigh gap, and dozens of posts about why everybody wants one. I think it's massively overblown on the internet (particularly Instagram) and I have never known anyone actually aspiring to having one.

Could be because of my age, I guess. I suspect if their truly is a small contingent that admires this, it's probably mainly teenage girls and very young women.
  • amr32r
    amr32r Posts: 245 Member
    None of my friends ever talk about that ..most of them want thick, toned legs which probably wouldnt work with a gap
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Not again with the insipid thigh gap........
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    The only posts I see about this are people asking why other people want one. I don't think I've come across someone who actually wants one.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Unrealistic views of body image?
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Why do women seek to have a flat stomach? Or a small waist? Or prominent collar bones?

Most likely because they like how it looks. It's the same reason some want a thigh gap. I am neutral on it, but if somebody else wants to look that way I have no problem with it.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited June 2015
    haha it's just some *kitten* that gets a hashtag and becomes popular because it has a hashtag

just a self-fulfilling prophecy

like many popular things on the internet, it has no substantive value of its own
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    its very important...for when you do exams you can put your phone on your chair and peek through your thigh gap at the right answers.

B)
  • StaceyMacIntyre
    StaceyMacIntyre Posts: 1 Member
    I remember when I was in highschool it wasn't the thigh gap. Everyone wanted visible hipbones. I think it's unfortunately one of those not always attainable standards of beauty that younger girls become obsessed with.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    I had a gap until about seven years ago. I'm actually happy my legs are larger...when I lose muscle there I feel like I have toothpick legs.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    It's just a tumblr trend that some teenage girls think is a sign of beauty. It'll pass. I just dread seeing what the next fad will be.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    It's the cost of clothing. The thighs of your jeans can only take so much abuse.

I'll probably never have thigh gap, though. A girl can dream...
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Is it Friday already?
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    It seems to be something that I see a lot on social media (Instagram, YouTube, etc) but no one admits to in real life. I had one in high school, don't miss it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Thigh gaps are passe, unless you actually have one, in which case it's just one more variation on having nice legs.