New to MFP and still having trouble reaching my 1200 calories daily...

Options
skittlsv2
skittlsv2 Posts: 85 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi I'm 5'3" 165lbs in my 50's. This is all new to me and I'm not consuming my 1200 calories daily. I'm not much of a breakfast eater so I end up with lunch and dinner and sometimes snacks. I drink water and I do drink some light grape and apple juice. The macros confuse me also. I have health issues and have started walking and doing some dancing aerobics with Runkeeper app. This is my 5th week and I've lost 5 lbs only. I'm on a roller coaster ride of getting my proteins and fat and carbs. I generally only eat Smart Ones microwave meals, salads and tuna and some veggies everyday. I enjoy grapes and Fiber One snacks. Been 3 weeks since I've drank a carbonated caffeine drink. I have lost inches and only 5 lbs. I just can't get the hang of this at all. I know I need to reach my 1200 calories but I am out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• BlxxdtheFrxxk
    BlxxdtheFrxxk Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Cheese is a great way to fill in calories. A little takes up a lot of calories. And 5 lbs in 5 weeks is awesome!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    skittlsv2 wrote: »
    Hi I'm 5'3" 165lbs in my 50's. This is all new to me and I'm not consuming my 1200 calories daily. I'm not much of a breakfast eater so I end up with lunch and dinner and sometimes snacks. I drink water and I do drink some light grape and apple juice. The macros confuse me also. I have health issues and have started walking and doing some dancing aerobics with Runkeeper app. This is my 5th week and I've lost 5 lbs only. I'm on a roller coaster ride of getting my proteins and fat and carbs. I generally only eat Smart Ones microwave meals, salads and tuna and some veggies everyday. I enjoy grapes and Fiber One snacks. Been 3 weeks since I've drank a carbonated caffeine drink. I have lost inches and only 5 lbs. I just can't get the hang of this at all. I know I need to reach my 1200 calories but I am out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated.

Okay, first 5 pounds lost in 5 weeks is really great progress. Congrats!

You might try adding some more calorie dense foods to your meals and snacks. Cooking for yourself would probably make that easier, but there are plenty of things that you could add to your microwave meals. You might find some ideas here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • skittlsv2
    Options
    Thank you for the link.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Dianne got the link as I went to copy it (as she should, she did excellent with that list).

You're losing a pound a week, so you're right where you should be.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Firstly, 5lbs in 5 weeks is amazing! At only 165lbs, you shouldn't be losing anymore than that.

Secondly, don't worry about the macros, just make sure you're eating enough protein and some fat to keep your body healthy, focus on eating more food right now before you worry about all the extras. Your body needs the 1200 calories so it can stay nourished, maybe try eating higher fat foods, like peanut butter, avocados and salmon, that way you're eating less but more calorie dense food and it can help you get to the 1200.

Thirdly, can you open your diary for us to see? You might be eating closer to 1200 calories, but if you aren't weighing and tracking your food correctly, your daily totals will be lower, however, considering you're losing, I doubt this, but it's best for us to check.
  • skittlsv2
    Options
    Cheese is a great way to fill in calories. A little takes up a lot of calories. And 5 lbs in 5 weeks is awesome!

Really?? I thought it wasn't enough. I've never had to worry with my weight until the last 4 years. So thank you for your reply.
  • skittlsv2
    Options
    Firstly, 5lbs in 5 weeks is amazing! At only 165lbs, you shouldn't be losing anymore than that.

Secondly, don't worry about the macros, just make sure you're eating enough protein and some fat to keep your body healthy, focus on eating more food right now before you worry about all the extras. Your body needs the 1200 calories so it can stay nourished, maybe try eating higher fat foods, like peanut butter, avocados and salmon, that way you're eating less but more calorie dense food and it can help you get to the 1200.

Thirdly, can you open your diary for us to see? You might be eating closer to 1200 calories, but if you aren't weighing and tracking your food correctly, your daily totals will be lower, however, considering you're losing, I doubt this, but it's best for us to check.

I will post my diary pic here. I need suggestions please.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I want to add, if you really want to stick with frozen meals, don't feel like you have to stick exclusively to those marketed as "healthy" like the Smart Ones. The higher calorie meals can still be part of a healthy diet as long as they fit your calorie and nutrition goals.
  • skittlsv2
    Options
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    A pound a week is just perfect. I second (or third) keeping your protein and fat up. If you are a meat eater, put a chuck roast in the crock pot. I eat three ounce portions and it breaks the monotony of chicken. Pork tenderloin is good as well. Sauté asparagus in a bit of butter; roast veggies in olive oil and garlic in a hot oven. I'm not a slave to the kitchen either, but I've learned to make a few things that don't take much effort.
  • skittlsv2
    Options
    I'm going to open my diary up.
  • skittlsv2
    Options

I opened my diary up.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. :)
    Re the macros:
    Get the protein. OK to go over
    Try to get the fats. OK to go over
    Go under or over on the carbs because it does not matter.
    Keep dried fruit and nuts around for the extra calories. Also dense in calories: bananas, peanut butter, avocados, butter and other oils, full fat salad dressing, salmon, potatoes.
  • skittlsv2
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Congrats on your weight loss. :)
    Re the macros:
    Get the protein. OK to go over
    Try to get the fats. OK to go over
    Go under or over on the carbs because it does not matter.
    Keep dried fruit and nuts around for the extra calories. Also dense in calories: bananas, peanut butter, avocados, butter and other oils, full fat salad dressing, salmon, potatoes.

That chart keeps me confused.
  • SimoneBee12
    Options
    I went back a few days into your diary, and I noticed you're using measuring cups, these are very inaccurate, I'll post a video down below to show you just how different servings by cup can be compared to weights, this is good though, because it could mean you're actually eating a lot more calories than you think, it could also mean you might be eating less, which could be bad for your nutrition. You need to buy a digital food scale and weigh all solid foods in grams.

Also, how are you calculating some of these measurements? Like this "Planters - Nutrition Heart Healthy Mix (Peanuts, Almonds, Pistachios, Pecans, Walnuts), 0.13 pack (42 g). Did you measure out 5.46 grams? Or did you just guess? Nuts are so calorie dense, they are essential to weigh.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=XpHykP6e_Uk

Can someone else post that video about peanut butter and oats? I can never find it, but it's so helpful! Thanks.
  • skittlsv2
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I thought I wasn't doing that good. I really need help.
  • skittlsv2
    Options
    I went back a few days into your diary, and I noticed you're using measuring cups, these are very inaccurate, I'll post a video down below to show you just how different servings by cup can be compared to weights, this is good though, because it could mean you're actually eating a lot more calories than you think, it could also mean you might be eating less, which could be bad for your nutrition. You need to buy a digital food scale and weigh all solid foods in grams.

Also, how are you calculating some of these measurements? Like this "Planters - Nutrition Heart Healthy Mix (Peanuts, Almonds, Pistachios, Pecans, Walnuts), 0.13 pack (42 g). Did you measure out 5.46 grams? Or did you just guess? Nuts are so calorie dense, they are essential to weigh.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=XpHykP6e_Uk

Can someone else post that video about peanut butter and oats? I can never find it, but it's so helpful! Thanks.

I only eat the almonds and I only eat 10.
  • skittlsv2
    Options
    I was wondering about getting the scales. Thanks for helping me make my mind up about getting them. Will get some tomorrow.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating a 13th of a pack of nuts? Eat the whole thing. Starving yourself isn't doing you any favors. Sure you may lose the weight quicker, but what will you have learned? What about sustaining what you lose?
  • SimoneBee12
    Options
    I only eat the almonds and I only eat 10.

For me, 10 almonds can be anywhere from 8-12 grams, maybe even more, so you may have actually eaten 65-80 calories, not 33. Definitely get a scale, and weigh everything, I personally don't use a measuring cup for anything unless I'm baking.

Do that for a month, and you'll notice you're eating more than you think, but your weight loss should stay at about 0.5-1lb a week.

Good luck!