How important is the # on the scale?

Options
I'm at the highest weight I've ever been but I look better than I ever have before. I'm 5'3" and weigh 130lbs. My weight has ranged from 105-130. My clothing size is the same as when I weighed 117 but I have defined muscle now. Anyone else have the same result? I just can't get over the # on the scale! ugh

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    If you look better than you ever have before, the scale number is utterly irrelevant.
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Well you should. The number doesn't matter. As you know muscle weighs more than fat. My best friend started working out a lot. Same size clothes she rarely weighed herself and realized she was up about 15 pounds. But it's fine cuz it's not fat.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Only as important as you make it.

Sounds like you're doing great. Throw it away if it bothers you. Seriously.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I only stress about the scale number if my clothes are getting tighter. Now, if my pants are tighter in the booty and the legs, but not the waist, I'm all about that...gainz!!
  • genki90
    genki90 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I prefer the number on my measuring tape! Far more accurate :wink: The scale cannot tell if you've become more dense or bigger in volume.
  • bear07041986
    bear07041986 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm actually super happy with my new measurements!!! 38-26-39 from 38-29-41 Time to chuck that scale I guess before I give myself a complex lol
  • Jess830409
    Jess830409 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Getting away from the scale is one of the hardest things about a fitness journey - in my opinion - I struggle with it everyday.
    I am trying to get myself to rely more on the measuring tape too
    Wish you the best of luck - sounds like you are doing great :-) Those measurements speak for themselves! Keep up the good work!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If you look better than you ever have before, the scale number is utterly irrelevant.

Yes this
  • freeoscar
    freeoscar Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Congrats on looking the best you ever have. I'm sure you've put in a lot of hard work to achieve that - you should be proud.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't care about the number, but how I look and how fit I am. I have a sense of how certain weights look on my current body, but I would like to build more muscle and that will probably push that number up, and I'm fine with that.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I'm at the highest weight I've ever been but I look better than I ever have before. I'm 5'3" and weigh 130lbs. My weight has ranged from 105-130. My clothing size is the same as when I weighed 117 but I have defined muscle now. Anyone else have the same result? I just can't get over the # on the scale! ugh

In your situation, I wouldn't worry about the weight on the scale. You are within the normal range and you weigh more because of added muscle.

For me, the scale is important because I am not yet within the normal range. For the majority of people, they should fall within the normal range, but the broadness of that range is made to accommodate different frame sizes and different muscle mass. This probably works much better for women than it does for men since men can build much larger muscle mass and be pushed well outside their normal weight range due to that muscle.

• hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I definitely think it all depends on the person. If you've been at the same muscle mass and fat ratio without going out of your way to change anything, the number on the scale can be a nice gauge at how well you're maintaining your weight, and show a red flag when necessary if you're starting to overdo it. For others (like you) who are changing their body's composition from fat to muscle, I think the scale slightly becomes irrelevant since muscle of course weighs more than fat, and if you're just starting to build muscle the tears may cause inflammation and water weight. I've just started working out and gained about five pounds, but some days I feel more weighed down than others depending how hard I worked out the night before. Despite maintenance being my goal and weighing five more pounds than I used to, I feel like I actually look smaller, more lean, and a lot healthier already - in fact, I'd be happy if I gained a few more pounds of muscle!
    If you plan on making muscle training a regular routine I would ignore BMI and focus more on actual body fat calculations.
  • mikeski52
    mikeski52 Posts: 59 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I think the # on the scale only becomes relevant when in relation to other measurements. Let's say you measure your body fat % using calipers along with your bodyweight; if your weight increases from 100lbs to 105lbs, but your body fat % decreases, that's a great thing! But without that body fat measurement you may think otherwise.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

I know the feeling. Although I'm trying to shift focus to BF% instead. Body composition definitely has a bigger impact on how you look than what the scale says.

6 yrs ago my weight fluctuated between 125-135 lbs. I wore 8/9/11 jeans depending on brand. I kept a few pairs and was able to wear them again when I reached the mid 140's. I'm fluctuating between 134-136 now and the same pants fall off without a belt. My body composition has clearly changed. I must have more muscle mass than the last time I was this weight. Which isn't surprising; I definitely have more muscle definition now.
  • bear07041986
    Options
    How do I measure body fat %?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    How do I measure body fat %?
    Burn it and calculate the heat given off. >:)
    If you want to estimate your body fat while still alive, the simplest method is use a formula that uses measurements taken at various body points. Past that, a caliper gets a little more sophisticated but possible user error goes up. Then there is always paying money to get DEXA scan, bodpod reading, or hydrostatic dunk test.
    Of course, they'll all require you to know what you weigh, so don't throw out the scale yet.
  • bear07041986
    Options
    Lol simple thermodynamics haha
  • bear07041986
    Options
    Here's an irrelevant question... How do I do that quote thing?

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

If you feel better/look better at this weight, then keep it up. I try to ignore the number on the scale - only "weigh in" maybe once a month. I judge everything by how I feel. I've gained weight and looked smaller thanks to muscle, and lost weight and looked larger due to not working out enough.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Here's an irrelevant question... How do I do that quote thing?
    There should be a quote link -or button if you're on mobile - near the bottom of posts. Doing that will copy the post and put it inside the BBCode for block quotes.