small handful mixed berries
quarter cup of yoghurt
teaspoon of flaxseed
teaspoon of spirilina
teaspoon of kale powder
teaspoon of chia seeds
Approx one cup of water

equaling approx 330 calories

Or should i be having say 2 weetbix, or half cup oats/porridge which can equal out to less calories
:-/

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter much what you have for breakfast since the body just focuses on digesting whatever is consumed. If weight loss is your main goal, then of course it's about total calories and having a calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AngelJordan
    AngelJordan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Im wanting weightloss, the smoothie option easily keeps me in my deficit amount.
    I was more wondering which is better health wise? i guess lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Nutrient dense options offer more value, but if you're reaching your optimal macro/micro nutrients daily, then healthwise it won't really matter.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    For me, I like eating my calories rather than drinking them

• yellowantphil
    yellowantphil Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I’m kind of the opposite.

AngelJordan, just try to reach your macro- and micronutrient goals every day, and you should be fine, like ninerbuff said. The smoothie looks pretty healthy, but those other options would be fine too. Given those options, I’d have oats for breakfast and the smoothie late in the day, but that’s just personal preference.

You could consider whether you would get hungry too early if you went with a lower-calorie breakfast. Or if you aren’t very hungry in the morning, maybe go with the lower-calorie option. Whatever works for you.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what you eat, so long as you're in a deficit. Personally, I like eating my calories instead of drinking them.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Bacon

Bacon is better for breakfast
  • MikeLeTwigg
    MikeLeTwigg Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Bacon

Can't really argue with that
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Bacon

This...

or eggs with cheese, salsa, peppers, onions and ham/canadian bacon.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Or nothing... I like nothing

OP, eat what works for you. "health" means lots of things. Work out what is healthy for you!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    How do you feel when you have a smoothie vs oats? Does one make you feel more full or satisfied than the other? You'd have to look at your whole day to see what choice is better nutritionally for you.

I would choose the oats over a smoothie because I prefer to chew my breakfast. Drinking smoothies never really makes me feel full.
  • rachelbouc
    rachelbouc Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Personally for breakfast that would not satisfy me. I usually like a good combo of fat, carbs, fiber, and protein. For example I have overnight oats parfait with chai seeds, oats, almond milk, yogurt, pears, and almonds. It also comes down to how satisfied you feel after eating. If those calories spent are going to cause you to eat again in a hour or two maybe it's not the best thing.
    And if you want to add oats to your smoothie Blueberry Banana Oatmeal Smoothie looks tasty and you probably don't have to cook the oats! You could adjust it how you make your current breakfast smoothie.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    This morning: spam, spam, spam, spam, eggs, and spam.

But normally: whatever I feel like that fits in my calorie goals and keeps me full enough until lunch. Somethign quick to prepare is good, too.

Personally I don't like smoothies because I feel hungry again in a couple hours, but your mileage may vary.
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have an egg, 1 slice of 100% whole wheat toast with 1 tsp oleo, 6 oz of tomato juice, and some kind of fruit (grapefruit, raspberries, strawberries, melon) almost every day. I need more protein to make it to lunch.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options

This!

I wouldn't drink a smoothie or eat grains/cereals for breakfast. Not that there's anything wrong with that but... for me, for weight loss and muscle retention it has to be real food (harder to digest vs a drink) made up of protein and veggies!

Oh and hot stuff :smile: I put that *kitten* on everything! haha

This morning for example... I had scrambled egg whites with broccoli, tomato, onion, mushroom and ham, a teaspoon of sriracha and it topped out at under 200 calories. However, I'm full and satisfied and this will keep me going until way past noon-time.

To each their own.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    rachelbouc wrote: »
    Personally for breakfast that would not satisfy me. I usually like a good combo of fat, carbs, fiber, and protein. For example I have overnight oats parfait with chai seeds, oats, almond milk, yogurt, pears, and almonds. It also comes down to how satisfied you feel after eating. If those calories spent are going to cause you to eat again in a hour or two maybe it's not the best thing.
    And if you want to add oats to your smoothie Blueberry Banana Oatmeal Smoothie looks tasty and you probably don't have to cook the oats! You could adjust it how you make your current breakfast smoothie.

Cosigning the bolded.

I do have smoothies for breakfast, but they have 19 grams of protein and 15 grams of fat and keep me full for hours.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    better for what?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Is there any reason you can't have the smoothie on one day and the weetabix on another? If both help keep you full and your diet on track you don't have to choose between them.