Whats better for breakfast?

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Like others have said, it's about how it fits in your overall day and makes you feel.

Of those choices, I'd probably go with the smoothie, as you've included fruit, protein, and even some fat, whereas the others would be low on protein and fat unless you added more to them. I'm not personally a fan of just basically grains for breakfast--it would not be satiating for me. On the other hand, I'm not generally satisfied by drinking my breakfast, so I end up having a vegetable omelet or oats with other foods too (I had oats this morning, but my overall breakfast was over 400 calories, since I ate lots of other things too).

I know drinking a smoothie for breakfast does work for some people, so if you are feeling good and satisfied, that seems great. If you want to alternate, that's great too. There's no inherent virtue to just oats having fewer calories, though.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Bacon

Bacon is better for breakfast

Amen.

• AngelJordan
    AngelJordan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Mmm bacon. Unfortunately bacon regularly doesn't fit into my $ budget, and Id have to share with OH and DD haha
    The smoothie keeps me fill to after midday and i generally have it at 8 830.
    Whereas oats leave me hungry after a few hours.
    Maybe i will try a few other of the options some of you have said. thanks everyone :D
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I eat oats with berries, shredded coconut, and sliced almonds for breakfast almost every day. Some days it keeps me full, other days I eat a piece of fruit around 11 to hold me over til lunch. I agree what others say. Listen to your body. It will tell you.

I also like the suggestion to not pigeonhole yourself into having the same thing every morning. I do only because its delicious, and the fruit variety changes with the seasons :) but I always have other things on hand in case I want to mix it up!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The smoothie keeps me fill to after midday and i generally have it at 8 830.
    Whereas oats leave me hungry after a few hours.
    Maybe i will try a few other of the options some of you have said. thanks everyone :D

Then it seems like a great choice.

No harm in experimenting with other options too, if they sound good.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    better for what?

Ummmmmm her body, her health, her nutrition maybe? I don't know. Just a wild guess.........

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Chain_Ring wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    better for what?

Ummmmmm her body, her health, her nutrition maybe? I don't know. Just a wild guess.........

Ummmmm it's all relative to certain goals their sparky...basically fishing for something a little less vague. Better for me is going to be different than better for you than better for the OP...

Like, if I'm going to go ride 50 miles, a breakfast of bagel and peanut butter is BETTER than eggs and bacon...someone who has diabetes or pre-diabetes is going to have a different better than someone who doesn't have those issues...see...context matters just a little bit...

Man there's just a big run of stupid around here lately...
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie very similar to yours every morning. I add a 1/2 cup of cold cooked oats to it to give it some body and get a bit of oats into my diet. I also add a scoop of unflavored protein powder to help get a little more protein. I make a pot of oatmeal on Sunday and use it throughout the week.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is usually a banana and/or V-8 juice and Dannon yogurt. Less than 200 calories. Leaves me more to play around with the rest of the day.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Yugh.

I like my oatmeal and raisins!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    And btw my go to breakfast is a P28 bagel with peanut butter.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Weighing all that business on a food scale is better.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Weetbix for the win.

Might go have some weetbix myself. Haven't had them in ages.