What are your favorite "zero" calorie foods?

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    corryigo wrote: »
    @psulemon These are all very subjective on the way you wish to look at it. Being a MFP moderator I am sure you are very well aware your body burns calories constantly throughout the day. So lets for sake of argument use a low count and say at your weight you burn 1 calorie a minute. 1 pickle slice costs 5 calories that's all you ate in a 15 minute window it has been abated and you are now at 10 calories burned. Again this is only a way at looking at it, hence why some people could use the argument. Being a Scientist I would never state facts from a study conducted on a limited selection, far too many variables. I personally account for all calories and calories burned to try and be as accurate as possible. So to say there is no Negative foods is 100% correct It is just how some people look at the data.

Oh, I agree with you. But in the absence other studies against a specific objective, I side on the side of a small study over someone saying we are all wrong. Overall though, one food is not going to have a substantial impact as you have to understand the whole energy balance equation. And even more, if there would be validity in "negative calorie foods", there would still be greater impact of human error in calorie counting. Essentially, the fact that the average person under reports calories by 400 calories far outweighs the benefit of increase TEF from celery.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    ice tea
  • corryigo
    corryigo Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I will have to look it up, but I know there was a study based on the thermogenics of hot peppers and how they could be a negative calories, but again the problem is we have really no true way of detection throughout the entire process. Far to many variables. If you are nervous or relaxed will vary in calories burned on a macro level and would play into trying to determine the effects. That said If anyone finds a Zero Calorie Pizza that tastes exactly like a Pizza Hut Pan Pizza let me know.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Coffee with a side of coffee.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Harvest and hand-grind wheat for flour, harvest and hand chop tomatoes and herbs for marinara, harvest yet more veggies for toppings, butcher and grind pig, stuff sausage casing by hand and smoke pepperoni, milk cow and make mozzarella, assemble, bake and viola, negative calorie pizza.

Rigger
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Pelamblue wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    Can't be bothered reading full thread bit in case anyone has already written this then apologies. Negative calorie food's are real... they are just food's that need more calories to break them down than they actually produce.. a lot of veg falls into this .

That's completely debunked. There are no negative calorie foods, that's a myth that has been dead for decades but keeps getting resurrected.

Really !! I suggest you research this
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Can't be bothered reading full thread bit in case anyone has already written this then apologies. Negative calorie food's are real... they are just food's that need more calories to break them down than they actually produce.. a lot of veg falls into this .

That's completely debunked. There are no negative calorie foods, that's a myth that has been dead for decades but keeps getting resurrected.

Really !! I suggest you research this and come back

please enlighten us as to how a food would contain negative calories..?

A food doesn't contain negative calories... a particular food may contain say 20 calories as an example ... the body has to break this down using energy... this may take 25 calories of energy to do so.... is that simple enough or perhaps a picture is needed...

You may want to do some more research, starting with the link that peachycarol posted.

How interesting..... What a broad selection of the population for coming to these obviously conclusive results.. A whole 15 females all with certain height and weight parameters. I mean this must be fact. ha ha ha. To come to any sort of conclusion in any study on the way we as humans burn calories then surely a large spectrum of people must be tested ?? Would you not agree ?? Do think that I that that I would burn of 100g of celery at the same rate as someone half my size ??? Clearly not. This 'study' is simply an observation on a select group. Do you seriously think this is undeniable and conclusive evidence ??

Not really worth funding a study for this. I am surprised that somebody actually paid for the one that peachycarol linked. Let's say you find some outlier subset of the population that has negative 1 calorie response to eating a pound of celery. How would that knowledge be beneficial at all?
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Ice
  • Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »

A food doesn't contain negative calories... a particular food may contain say 20 calories as an example ... the body has to break this down using energy... this may take 25 calories of energy to do so.... is that simple enough or perhaps a picture is needed...

You may want to do some more research, starting with the link that peachycarol posted.

How interesting..... What a broad selection of the population for coming to these obviously conclusive results.. A whole 15 females all with certain height and weight parameters. I mean this must be fact. ha ha ha. To come to any sort of conclusion in any study on the way we as humans burn calories then surely a large spectrum of people must be tested ?? Would you not agree ?? Do think that I that that I would burn of 100g of celery at the same rate as someone half my size ??? Clearly not. This 'study' is simply an observation on a select group. Do you seriously think this is undeniable and conclusive evidence ??

Not really worth funding a study for this. I am surprised that somebody actually paid for the one that peachycarol linked. Let's say you find some outlier subset of the population that has negative 1 calorie response to eating a pound of celery. How would that knowledge be beneficial at all?

It's just not not in depth enough to settle the argument. ..granted all food has calories. .that's a given.. the question is does it take more to burn than it provides .... as we are all different you just can't give a substantial enough answer.
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    .... and ALL THE SPICES.

Auddii knows what its all about. Spices, Spices, more Spices. Oh and maybe some I Can't Believe its not Butter for when I'm cooking with Spices :)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    @psulemon These are all very subjective on the way you wish to look at it. Being a MFP moderator I am sure you are very well aware your body burns calories constantly throughout the day. So lets for sake of argument use a low count and say at your weight you burn 1 calorie a minute. 1 pickle slice costs 5 calories that's all you ate in a 15 minute window it has been abated and you are now at 10 calories burned. Again this is only a way at looking at it, hence why some people could use the argument. Being a Scientist I would never state facts from a study conducted on a limited selection, far too many variables. I personally account for all calories and calories burned to try and be as accurate as possible. So to say there is no Negative foods is 100% correct It is just how some people look at the data.

Oh, I agree with you. But in the absence other studies against a specific objective, I side on the side of a small study over someone saying we are all wrong. Overall though, one food is not going to have a substantial impact as you have to understand the whole energy balance equation. And even more, if there would be validity in "negative calorie foods", there would still be greater impact of human error in calorie counting. Essentially, the fact that the average person under reports calories by 400 calories far outweighs the benefit of increase TEF from celery.

Not flaming, but in theory ANYTHING could be a zero calorie food if you're eating less of it than your BMR.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

You realize making up numbers in a forum post isn't exactly scientific proof, right?
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Gardiena which is antipasto vegetables in a jar. Nice when you want savory.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »

It's just not not in depth enough to settle the argument. ..granted all food has calories. .that's a given.. the question is does it take more to burn than it provides .... as we are all different you just can't give a substantial enough answer.

Well so far the studies posted are 1 against; 0 for.
  • donnysoule
    donnysoule Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    If you leave chocolate on a high shelf the calories fall out. So chocolate :p

eating off somebody else's plate at a restaurant is the same principle... the calories don't transfer
  • MissElectricEyeliner
    MissElectricEyeliner Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This is all I can think of right now.
    • Fresca
    • Mello Yello Zero
    • Cherry Coke Zero
    • Stevia
    • SOME Jello's (Make sure you check those labels!)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I don't like any zero calorie foods, except really good espresso. I like selzer water better than sweetened sodas though.
  • sprc1616
    sprc1616 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Cherry Coke Zero, LaCroix sparkling water, shirataki noodles, and all low-calorie "watery" things - cucumbers/pickles, watermelon, etc. Ooh, and seaweed strips, especially the Korean kind coated in rice called bugak.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Water, and by extension that includes coffee & tea.

Anything else that calls itself zero calories isn't fit to put in your body as far as I'm concerned.
    Eat real food. Just eat less of it and stay active.