What's your biggest challenge in losing weight?

Options

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    beer

this. totally this. By the way Bell's out of Michigan has a sour-ish ale called Oarsman Ale that is only 120 calories. It's lighter than I generally like my craft beer but went great with my tacos last night and you cant beat a micro at 120 calories. ABV is only 4%. I'm ok with that.
  • JoshLikesBeer
    JoshLikesBeer Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Also beer. I'm the president of my local homebrewers club and a member of a couple of nearby clubs, so there are a lot of functions I attend where there is a lot of good beer.
  • HSMike2
    HSMike2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Junk/snack food. I live off of it. If I didn't eat any I'd be shredded with abs by now.
    Always eating chocolate daily, can't stay away.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Chips. I could eat bags and bags of chips. Darn them! Darn them to heck!
    Who am I kidding I could never hate you...nom...nom...nom...
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    having to think before I eat. lame, totally lame. ;)
  • j_ringsaker
    j_ringsaker Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm impulsive. The only way I get around that is maintaining a routine and planning ahead. Works....most of the time!
  • lifecherished
    lifecherished Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    JudithNYC wrote: »
    Not so much for weight loss as for health: exercise. Every day I promise myself that I will at least walk a mile and every day I "forget". And it's not even that I can't do it, it's that I am LAZY.

It's that get out of your comfort zone thing coupled with Catch 22. Each day I think tomorrow I'll get up early and walk around the park nearby. Each morning I turn over again and go back to sleep! As part of post hysterectomy recovery I had to walk a little each day and it didn't matter how slowly I walked recovering from that abdominal surgery, I stayed out for 30 minutes.

By the time I went back to work, I had lost weight. Back at work, the walking stopped and all the weight went back on.

I was in Vegas in April. Each day I averaged 6 miles of walking. I didn't notice it (my feet did swell up but I had nowhere to elevate my feet during the day). All my back pain went though and I didn't put on any weight.
  • Tic150
    Tic150 Posts: 23 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Not snacking junk food.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    My biggest challenge tends to be the cravings that set in the week before menstruation. I want nothing but carbs, and I tend to be depressed at that time too, so I end up not watching what I eat. Which would be fine if I only gave in for a few days, but unfortunately it tends to be hard to get back on track afterwards.
    If you're feeling depressed, try vitamin B6 in tablet form. One a day and it should reduce your symptoms -- it did wonders for me.

For me, it's trying to cope with wanting the end goal and being at the beginning of the journey. I, like most people, want results I can see, but I know it won't happen for a while. It gets me down sometimes.
  • lborsato1
    lborsato1 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    beer
    ^^^this^^^ - love my beer in the summer....
  • tashakalo
    tashakalo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    My biggest challenge is staying focused for the long haul. Not giving up when I get a little off track, and finding the strengh to ignore daily flucuations by keeping my eye on the prize. For me, the prize is fitting back into clothes I haven't worn in 13 years and looking the way I like to look. I've already reversed some health issues and that is great, but feeling like I look good trumps that. Whether that's right or wrong doesn't matter, it's what keeps me going - when the going gets tough.

Agreed! My vanity keeps me going :wink:
  • tashakalo
    Options
    egengr wrote: »
    Having to cook every meal. staying away from pre packaged food and fast food. I try to only eat from the perimeter of the grocery store. "fresh food"
    A full day at work and few hours in the gym, the last thing I want to do is cook.. Thank god for the subway chopped salads.

Have you tried prepping your meals on the weekend so you don't have to cook every day?
  • tashakalo
    Options
    My challenge is the fact that it's now summer and it seems like every weekend someone is having a BBQ, engagement party or housewarming party filled with delicious food and abundances of fruity alcoholic beverages. I've learned to limit myself. And I typically eat at a great deficit throughout the week to "save up" for one day out of the weekend. Seems to have worked thus far.

Ugh, SERIOUSLY! But, this deficit concept is genius - I think I'm going to try it!
  • tashakalo
    Options
    My biggest hurdle is actually tracking my food. I find it tedious and annoying a lot of the time.

WORD. One of my coworkers is also on MFP though, so it got to be fun over time.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Boredom eating. And also that part of my brain that says "Girl you're a babe no matter how much you weigh." Which is nice, but not encouraging when it comes to staying on a proper eating schedule.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    WEEKENDS
  • ConstantStruggle
    ConstantStruggle Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Weekends.....Definitely weekends
  • tashakalo
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Chips. I could eat bags and bags of chips. Darn them! Darn them to heck!
    Who am I kidding I could never hate you...nom...nom...nom...

Just add a little dip and now you're telling the story of my life!
  • tashakalo
    Options
    Sticking to the plan, working out hard and eating clean, even when the @#$*^! scale refuses to budge. I get really frustrated when I make MAJOR changes in my eating and activity, but don't see any positive results for weeks at a time. While my Brain knows the scale doesn't really matter, and that I am doing good things for my body and being healthier, my Feelings scream "The heck with this! You might as well eat what you want and sit on your butt because this isn't working."

SERIOUSLY. It took me a lot of time to get over this. When I was younger, I could drop pounds super quick but it's been a month and the scale has hardly moved! There have been a few times where I wanted to give up but thank god for the momentum I've already started with!
  • ConstantStruggle
    ConstantStruggle Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    peaceout_aly wrote: »

My challenge is the fact that it's now summer and it seems like every weekend someone is having a BBQ, engagement party or housewarming party filled with delicious food and abundances of fruity alcoholic beverages. I've learned to limit myself. And I typically eat at a great deficit throughout the week to "save up" for one day out of the weekend. Seems to have worked thus far.

How much of a deficit do you eat during the week? Like how many calories are you suppose to have and how many calories do you have?
    (Sorry for the copy and past.....I don't know how to do the quote..LOL)