Why does strength training seem so boring compared to cardio?

Options

Replies

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    This is what we call an opinion. Strength training isn't boring compared to cardio, if you ask me. Why is cardio so awful and torturous compared to strength training? That'd be my opinion.

If you gave strength training a fair shot and hated it, then no one's forcing you to do it. I personally enjoy reaping the benefits of a good lifting program. Cardio never did much for my body composition.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Please help me like the idea of strength training by giving me suggestions!

But I know what you mean, I'd rather go for a long run or a cycle than do resistance work. For me resistance work is a means to an end, as it helps my running and cycling performance. Whilst that doesn't alleviate the boredom it provides some purpose for the session.

In total agreement. Strength training takes up maybe an hour a week for me, so I try to think positively about it - it's great for me, it helps me be a better runner, it has had an effect on my body composition. We can't enjoy every aspect of fitness all the time, so sometimes you just need to push yourself through it, and accept it as a necessary functional part of getting fitter.
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    This is a first. I don't think OP likes to challenge herself with exercise. I really cannot understand how lifting weights is boring. It's one of if not my favorite activity. I even tailor routines to allow for more lifting days in a week.

Different strokes for different folks. I don't enjoy resistance work, but I sure as hell enjoyed running 15K yesterday in what for England was a very hot day. That was challenging, but enjoyable, in a way lifting heavy weights wouldn't be for me, and sounds like it isn't for the OP either.
  • megablackk1d
    megablackk1d Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am the opposite cardio is boring to me unless I am doing hiit, but weight lifting is way more satisfying, and better in my opinion.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I definitely always prefer cardio to weight lifting, but I have found that the more comfortable I became in the gym, the more I enjoyed it. Then the body comp changes for the better start coming and voila...you will learn to love it.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Mentally, I still prefer running because I can get lost in my thoughts and go on autopilot. With lifting, I have to focus on what I'm doing. But lifting itself isn't boring. It's between sets that's boring. Since I lift at home (best thing I ever did), I watch tv, read or play games on my phone. Sometimes scoop the cat box or put in a load of laundry.
  • Clo747
    Clo747 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    I have the exact opposite opinion. Cardio is the worst lol.

Snap. Bouncing around for x amount of time? No, thank you.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm firmly in the enjoying cardio more camp. for me it's more of an instant gratification thing. I feel so good when I run, while I'm running. With stregnth training I love the results I get but I have to wait like a month or two to see them.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    donnysoule wrote: »
    I treat it like a video game, when I'm lifting, I try to do 3 sets of ten.... When I hit 10 on the 3rd set, I get to "level up" it keeps it interesting and competitive without having a competitor. Also, I recent did a Spartan race. Try one... it'll point out your weaknesses and it's been a great motivation to me to strengthen those areas...

I love this!! Maybe I'll start lifting to the Mario brothers theme music
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    donnysoule wrote: »
    I treat it like a video game, when I'm lifting, I try to do 3 sets of ten.... When I hit 10 on the 3rd set, I get to "level up" it keeps it interesting and competitive without having a competitor. Also, I recent did a Spartan race. Try one... it'll point out your weaknesses and it's been a great motivation to me to strengthen those areas...

Awesome
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I find the lifting side to be more social. In between sets I chat more with other who are resting, so maybe try that?

Have you tried TRX? My wife hated lifting, but loves TRX. Now she works in targeted lifts to help her performance.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Start using challenging weights and you won't be so bored.

LIES.

Totally depends on the person. I get totally bored after 5 reps. Seriously, I'd rather do dishes. Or laundry. I couldn't care less how challenging it is. It just bores me to tears. I wish I liked it, but I just don't.

I agree. I also prefer cardio. I have to make myself do weight training. I do get some satisfaction out of being able to left more, but not enough to really make me want to do it.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't find either one boring, though I enjoy lifting slightly more than cardio. As @LyndseyLovesToLift says, though, it's all based on your own opinion. My husband does not enjoy lifting at all. To each his/her own.
  • divvyh
    divvyh Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Are you challenging yourself enough? Try slowing down. One count up, two or three to return. Mix up your routine. I thought if I didn't do the same exercises over and over I wouldn't be able to track improvement. Now I do a variety of exercises (all from the web, mostly popsugar.com) and I can feel I've really started to tone up. I find weight machines boring, but now only add one or two in if I feel like I need an extra push for my quads or pecs.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    pick something up that's heavier and you'll be less bored.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    This is what we call an opinion. Strength training isn't boring compared to cardio, if you ask me. Why is cardio so awful and torturous compared to strength training? That'd be my opinion.

If you gave strength training a fair shot and hated it, then no one's forcing you to do it. I personally enjoy reaping the benefits of a good lifting program. Cardio never did much for my body composition.

Totally and there's nothing like watching every muscle ripple when you're pulling that heavy *kitten* off the ground...IMO.

• JoRocka
    Options
    I'm actually yawning here because I'm so bored.

IMG_20150627_164650_zpsyemj6iwa.jpg
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I'm actually yawning here because I'm so bored.

IMG_20150627_164650_zpsyemj6iwa.jpg

Mirin'

• JoRocka
    Options
    I knew you'd like that brah'
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    All in all... this is adulthood. It's a journey to health... lifting weights is going to make you stronger, help you burn fat and help with bone density and strength. So... we all do things as adults we don't like to do (like going to work.. anyone!? lol) so find a way to make it fun. Make it a game as previously suggested, or get a playlist that really gets you pumped, maybe try a pre-workout to get you really pumped and help with more effective workouts. Look into a personal trainer that can give you a routine you'll enjoy.
  • Pittleydink
    Pittleydink Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It is just a matter of preference. Some people just don't have the drive to push themselves longer than their phosphocreatine lasts. I also feel like there is less variety in strength training, as many on MFP have said, strength training consists of 'picking up heavy things and putting them down' then repeat. Sounds fun eh? While cardio can take the form of SO many sports, games, and athletics and seems to make the workout pass in no time. I mean come on, in PE class would you rather do push ups and pull ups or play car lot!