You are fat says the woman driving down the street.

Options
1235»

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    spicy618 wrote: »
    Bras are meant to be worn UNDER clothing. Even on someone very thin and fit, this is really not appropriate attire unless at the gym or actively on a run.

While her comments were meant-spirited, it sounds like you know that you shouldn't be dressed that way in public, right?

uh oh. lol!

I'm sorry this happened to you.

I live in S. Florida, Just yesterday I saw a young lady who was extremely overweight (obese), wearing a Handkershif (sp) shirt. The ones where only your boobs are covered and her whole back is out, and some stomach; no bra strap in sight... she was getting on the public bus. I thought to myself "Oh My, what confidence" (sp). Some people are just not as hung up on showing skin as others. "Live and let live".

I'm very conservative in the way I dress. I like to look sexy without showing alot of skin.

Yup. I'm from Florida and see a wide variety. I don't get the body-shaming--it's hot out, and it's okay to dress for the weather no matter what your size. The only thing I judge are the people in obviously wet swimsuits wearing them all day. That's just gross.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Bras are meant to be worn UNDER clothing. Even on someone very thin and fit, this is really not appropriate attire unless at the gym or actively on a run.

While her comments were meant-spirited, it sounds like you know that you shouldn't be dressed that way in public, right?

I'm sorry, this is quite possibly one of the most poorly-constructed arguments I've ever heard.

A sports bra is different than a regular bra. It covers more than a bathing suit top in most cases, and I see nothing wrong with wearing one while exercising either in public or at home. And if walking is your exercise and it's 100+ degrees F outside, then definitely wear what you will to keep as cool as possible.

Also, men work out shirtless all the time. No one ever says anything to them about it. What if they're wearing an undershirt and working out? Would you say, "Undershirts are meant to be worn UNDER clothing"? The kind of thinking in your quoted post is doing absolutely nothing to combat the over-sexualization and shaming of women who are simply just trying to be comfortable in the heat. We should be able to wear what we want without hearing insults from people who think the way that you do. If you don't like it, look away. The person yelling the insult was entirely at fault in OP's story, and OP should not be blamed for wearing a sports bra while exercising in public.

To the OP, I agree with most of the posters here. The person who called you out must lead a very sad life. Don't let it get to you. You do you! You have come a long way so far and you are trying to improve your life. Don't worry about what a few ignorant people may think.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I was out without a shirt, when it's not a thousand degrees (lol) here, then I wear a shirt. Of course it is a hot summer so I can't see wearing a shirt as I am anticipating my stomach to continue to decrease (hopefully) She said the something like "That's nasty you need to put a shirt on" and well since the only thing showing other than my stomach, I can only assume that she was talking about my stomach. I don't know what else she could be talking about as it's not as small as I would like it to be. I appreciate your opinion on the matter, I know we all have them, I just wish this woman would have kept her mouth quiet, it was quite hurtful and while I portray the attitude and I truly thought I didn't care what people thought of me, in reality I guess I do.

I agree, what she said is very hurtful. (Out of personal curiosity - was she older? I find old women tend to just say "that's nasty" to pretty much everything - if you're thin it's "eat a sandwich" if you're fit it's "muscles are for men" and if you're fat it's "you must be lazy" - they're just *kitten* in general, ha ha!)

It could be possible that, no matter what size you could have been, that it's the fact that you were wearing just what she thought was a bra that made her say it. I've had friends out in summer with only a bikini top on and they're underweight and they've been told they look nasty and need to put a shirt on.

We'll never know for sure what this woman was referring to - but we can choose how to react to it. May I suggest choosing to see her reaction as one she'd have had towards any woman, fit or not? It may not be true, but we'd never know. So why not choose the option that benefits you most?

And I understand completely about not caring what people think of you. I go through much the same. I put on my workout stuff in the morning, look at myself in the mirror and think I'm progressing well. Then I get to the gym and see myself in the mirror there and immediately feel like I'm inadequate some days. It's important to recognize how other people make you feel - it's also important to remember who you are, who you want to be and stay true to what you want to do.

If you want to wear your sports bra out 'cause it's hot as balls, do so. It's hot as balls - you do what you gotta do! Eventually, you'll rock that top in a bod hotter than the weather. :smile:
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    460mustang wrote: »
    Well, you can hideout and feel sorry or you can take it as a challenge. Say, I'll show them! When I am done, I'll be fitter and better looking than they are! If anything, mean comments give me more drive to succeed. So get back on track and show them what you're made of.

Not going to feeling sorry, I've walked/ran 20 miles in the last 2 days, I am determined to make it to my goal weight which is 150.

Good for you! Not much you can do to those people, but it is irritating. Wish they could mind their own business.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

incorrect.

men can walk around shirtless- then women can to.

nipples aren't anything that exciting- so taking off your shirt and walking around in a sports bra shouldn't cause ANY sort of turmoil what so ever.

Being said- I agree- shirt because of cancer.

although I hate running with a shirt on.. it's completely annoying.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Me and my husband was walking down the street, it was hot as hades outside, I mean really hot, I wear a sports bra, I don't want to die of a heatstroke, I mean it's 85 degrees outside, I weigh 170 pounds, I know probably not sports bra appropriate ( because I'm heavy). So she comes up beside up in a gas station and yells out her window, "you need to wear a shirt' then they proceed to pull in, I should have held my tongue, I really should have. But, I couldn't, I said some pretty mean things to this random stranger as she sat there insulting me and my weight. That comment made me feel super awful about myself. I've lost focus of my weight loss goals,vI planned on 5 pounds by the end of July, I've not lost any weight in a month or so. I keep trying, I exercise and yet, I manage to eat my calories back, so here I am maintaining the weight that I am currently at. How would you handle and insult like that from a random stranger?

I would've ignored them because I'm not going to waste my time on people who shout things at strangers. People who shout insults at strangers are just low, nasty and not worth engaging.
    You know you chose a clothing item that is perfectly appropriate for the activity you were doing in your climate. You were breaking no laws. Your outfit was less revealing than many swimsuits that are worn in public. It doesn't really matter how much you weigh. The person just wanted to be mean to someone. You get to decide your comfort level with what you wear not some idiot driving by. You are a human being at any size and do not have to shroud your body in sweltering layers in summer just because you have a larger stomach. Random crazy lady's hang ups about clothing or bodies don't really matter.
    I am a fairy conservative dresser and I don't have an issue with your outfit on a public street in summer.
    Keep going and put this far behind you.
  • SillyCat1975
    SillyCat1975 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

incorrect.

men can walk around shirtless- then women can to.

nipples aren't anything that exciting- so taking off your shirt and walking around in a sports bra shouldn't cause ANY sort of turmoil what so ever.

Being said- I agree- shirt because of cancer.

although I hate running with a shirt on.. it's completely annoying.

I do wear sunscreen most of the time, I worked in Oncology for a long time and seen the effects of Melanoma. I used to do tanning beds all the time about 5 years ago. I look back now and regret those decisions that I made due to the fact that I could potentially pay for it now. I inspect my skin for moles, and changes, I made a promise to God last year when I had a spot taken off of me that If I was ok then I would never tan again. So far, I've kept that promise, I want to live for the kids I have. Being vain in the past was one of my worst personality traits that I could have had.

• megcorey
    megcorey Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I had a very witty sassy friend (great person)but she had gained some weight and out on the town one night a girl came up to her and said somthing ugly about her weight and she turned around nd looked her up and down and said Ow huny!!! I can lose the weight but you cant do nothin about that face ! I thout it was great :D