Why does strength training seem so boring compared to cardio?

Options

Replies

• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Smashing PRs every few days is pretty exciting to me.
  • DanScheuerman
    DanScheuerman Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love cardio (I'm a runner) but what I love about my strength training is the burn the next day and the soreness - feelings of progress!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    I have the exact opposite opinion. Cardio is the worst lol.

Totally agree, I have to force myself to do cardio. I have found that HIIT and some classes make it better, but the dreadmill, the elliptical or stationary bike are awful to me.

• Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »

Totally agree, I have to force myself to do cardio. I have found that HIIT and some classes make it better, but the dreadmill, the elliptical or stationary bike are awful to me.

Then don't do them. Do some other form that you find fun and exciting.
    Treadmill puts me to sleep. Same for the other indoor cardio stuff you listed.
    But I can go outside and run, and enjoy it. Changing environment, changing views, and then for fun I use the Zombies, Run! app, so I am in a story, and occasionally have to run from zombs. 11pm, just me on the streets, zombs moaning in the distance but gaining...just the motivation I need to get me up the big hill a little faster.

Found a nice little gym called 9 Rounds. The system is set on doing 3min rounds at 9 different stations, each with its own kick boxing type exercise (They change the course every couple of days). 30 seconds between rounds is filled with some other random thing...or putting on gloves, as punching a bag is better with gloves, but trying to jump rope with gloves is not so good. Very fast paced, cardio, while also making you work hard/strong.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree that if I was thinking of "cardio" of terms of treadmill, elliptical, or stationary bike, I would probably hate cardio as much as some of the other posters.
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Yep. Exactly what I was coming on here to say! What exactly are you doing that's boring? I get giddy before each lifting session. Best thing ever!
    Setting and breaking PRs -- grinding away until you make/break them -- is immensely satisfying. All you want is more and more.

• Cass2025
    Cass2025 Posts: 82 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Jaedynmoon wrote: »
    Yep. Exactly what I was coming on here to say! What exactly are you doing that's boring? I get giddy before each lifting session. Best thing ever!
    Setting and breaking PRs -- grinding away until you make/break them -- is immensely satisfying. All you want is more and more.

I couldn't agree with you more i love to lift, and HIIT, volleyball or basketball is what i do for cardio change it up! people get bored because they either dont know what they are doing or do the same thing all the time
  • Alidecker
    Options
    Morgaath wrote: »

Then don't do them. Do some other form that you find fun and exciting.
    Treadmill puts me to sleep. Same for the other indoor cardio stuff you listed.
    But I can go outside and run, and enjoy it. Changing environment, changing views, and then for fun I use the Zombies, Run! app, so I am in a story, and occasionally have to run from zombs. 11pm, just me on the streets, zombs moaning in the distance but gaining...just the motivation I need to get me up the big hill a little faster.

Found a nice little gym called 9 Rounds. The system is set on doing 3min rounds at 9 different stations, each with its own kick boxing type exercise (They change the course every couple of days). 30 seconds between rounds is filled with some other random thing...or putting on gloves, as punching a bag is better with gloves, but trying to jump rope with gloves is not so good. Very fast paced, cardio, while also making you work hard/strong.

I don't do the machines for extended periods of time....that is why I do the HIIT and classes instead :)

I went to a class at 9 Rounds just last week. It was a good class and got my heart rate up pretty good. I just can't justify another gym membership right now and it was not convenient. A friend asked me to go with her to try it out, as she is trying to find some sort of exercise to do on a regular basis and all my friends know that I am willing to try any class at least once.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I don't do the machines for extended periods of time....

I don't do machines at all. Just go for a run or a ride...
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    What's boring about deadlifting more than you weigh? Not one thing.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options

Same here
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Start using challenging weights and you won't be so bored.

I was thinking the same thing. Lifting is many things but "boring" is not a word often used to describe it

If you truly are bored, I suggest choosing a new lifting program as others have suggested in this thread

• Alidecker
    Options

I had hip surgery and I am not supposed to run and I get bored walking by myself unless it is perfect weather and the treadmill works for a short cardio session after my resistance training.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I had hip surgery and I am not supposed to run and I get bored walking by myself unless it is perfect weather and the treadmill works for a short cardio session after my resistance training.

That's fair.

I'd had dire warnings from doctors when I had knee and ankle reconstruction, though that was a while ago. As long as I don't push it too hard I'm good for about 16 miles at the moment and continuing to work up.
  • Cass2025
    Cass2025 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

That's fair.

I'd had dire warnings from doctors when I had knee and ankle reconstruction, though that was a while ago. As long as I don't push it too hard I'm good for about 16 miles at the moment and continuing to work up.

I can definitely relate I tore my acl and meniscus twice in my right knee had to have 2 total reconstructive knee surgeries Dr. pushed for me not to run or lift or play sports and that was my life besides family but I started slowly getting back into it and man did it hurt it and was beyond frustrating it was a long slow process but now I can squat more than I did before I got hurt so don't give up its gonna hurt but eventually what you couldnt do yesterday will be your warm up :) Good luck on your Journey
  • momasox
    momasox Posts: 158 Member
    Options

^^ Me too! I hate cardio. I could lift everyday for hours.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's just a personal preference thing. I find weights boring, too. Lift it up. Put it down. Lift it up. Put it down.

After a couple, it's a snoozefest.

But it's good for us, so try to find some way to do it. I do body weight and use air weights in the pool.
  • Alidecker
    Options
    Cass2025 wrote: »

That's fair.

I can definitely relate I tore my acl and meniscus twice in my right knee had to have 2 total reconstructive knee surgeries Dr. pushed for me not to run or lift or play sports and that was my life besides family but I started slowly getting back into it and man did it hurt it and was beyond frustrating it was a long slow process but now I can squat more than I did before I got hurt so don't give up its gonna hurt but eventually what you couldnt do yesterday will be your warm up :) Good luck on your Journey

I had a total hip replacement. If I had been a runner prior to the surgery, he may have had a different tune. I have never enjoyed running. Of course the instant he told me I should never run, I had this feeling that I wanted to run. I do run/walk and I start the C25K, but never finish it. I figure the intervals of my run/walk are fine for what I want. That is even what I have done in the triathlons I have completed. (Shhh, don't tell the doctor:))

It did make squats and deadlifts a lot easier and my form got much better on almost everything after the hip replacement. However it makes my PR's a little weird...DL, Squat and bench are all exactly the same right now
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I'm actually yawning here because I'm so bored.

IMG_20150627_164650_zpsyemj6iwa.jpg

Badass.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I'm actually yawning here because I'm so bored.

IMG_20150627_164650_zpsyemj6iwa.jpg

Spaloosh!