anyone else on 1000cal and struggling?

Options

Replies

• Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    You may discover (as I did) that 1,200 isn't enough. I was lacking in energy so I changed my goal from 1 lb per week lost to .5. Good luck! :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    At 6' tall, even 1200 is going to be way too low. Set your goal to half a pound a week, log and weigh everything, and be patient as it can take some time to lose when you aren't far from your goal.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    75 kg is around 165, which is a BMI of 22.1 for a 6' person. What is the need to get so thin so fast?
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    Agree with above. No good will come of this. Don't even bother modifying you calorie plan, toss it out completely and start over. Have you actually calculated your TDEE? What is your age, height, weight, how much are you trying to lose, and what is your exercise program?

What is tdee? I'm 22, 6ft, 75kg, and want to lose 5-10kg. And currently not sure about how much to exercises

TDEE=Total Daily Energy Expenditure. Its an estimate of how many calories you use in a day. By eating less than that number, you lose weight. But you shouldn't eat at a really large deficit (-20% is generally aggressive enough). Plugging your stats into a calculator I use, your TDEE with little to no exercise is approx 1900 calories. Reduce from that to 1550ish and your should lose around 5kg within 3 months, 10kg in 6. Of course, you need to recalculate these numbers as you lose weight and/or increase your activity level. Either way, 1200 is still likely too low for you.
  • veganminecraft
    veganminecraft Posts: 21 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi thanks for this, I was adviced by MFP to eat 1200 calories but I didn't think that I would lose weight quick enough. I'll change it to 1200 and exercise aswell

Myfitnesspal calculates that deficit for you. THey give you that number to have something that most people are okay with and can do healthy off of, to aim for, but many people eat a few hundred calories more and are perfectly okay. You could eat up to around 1800 calories and still gradually lose weight. People who have trouble with 1200 calories might try 1500-1700 calories for awhile. Once there around 1800 calories, sedentary, you are at maintenance calories, and if you go an extra few hundred above maintenance calories that's when you slowly put on the weight.
  • Cass2025
    Cass2025 Posts: 82 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Weight loss isn't a race it takes time and I know at times can be very frustrating 1000 is way to low and when you do eat your body is going to store everything because it isnt getting the nutrients it needs which might be why you arent losing weight or don't have energy. Look up what you should be eating for your current weight and size and start from there. Often times people when they do start "dieting" they go way too extreme and thats what leads to quitting take it slow figure out your calories I recommend no lower than 1200-1350.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    If you're 6' tall, no wonder you're tired on only 1000 calories. My BMR is around 1100 (BMR is what you need if you're sedentary), and I'm 56 and only 5'1.5". You can do some serious damage eating that little.
  • georgiarosea
    georgiarosea Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Agree with above. No good will come of this. Don't even bother modifying you calorie plan, toss it out completely and start over. Have you actually calculated your TDEE? What is your age, height, weight, how much are you trying to lose, and what is your exercise program?

What is tdee? I'm 22, 6ft, 75kg, and want to lose 5-10kg. And currently not sure about how much to exercises

TDEE=Total Daily Energy Expenditure. Its an estimate of how many calories you use in a day. By eating less than that number, you lose weight. But you shouldn't eat at a really large deficit (-20% is generally aggressive enough). Plugging your stats into a calculator I use, your TDEE with little to no exercise is approx 1900 calories. Reduce from that to 1550ish and your should lose around 5kg within 3 months, 10kg in 6. Of course, you need to recalculate these numbers as you lose weight and/or increase your activity level. Either way, 1200 is still likely too low for you.

Okay thanks very much for the advice!
  • lalainap19
    lalainap19 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Eat 1200 no less and give it time to get used to. If u eat under 1200 it can make u groggy and low energy.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'1", and my BMR (basal metabolic rate = the amount my body burns just by being alive) would be 1800 calories at 165lbs. You're eating WAY too little...

If you're thinking of working out, you might want to think about bumping it up to at least 1800 calories, if not even more than that. You'll lose weight a little more slowly, but you'll also not cause permanent damage to yourself either.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Do you weigh all your food with a food scale?

Hi, no I don't weigh all my food. I just bought some scales. Do you recommend?

If you're 6 feet tall you are quite tall for a woman and there is no way 1000 calories is enough! Run your numbers through mfp for a reasonable rate of loss (.5 or 1 lb per week), use a food scale, and eat to that number for a month and see how it goes
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    bziebart wrote: »
    If I were to eat 2000 calories / day I would gain weight... no question. I eat around 1200 calories / day, nearly all protein and fat (under 40 grams of carbs typically) and work out every day burning roughly 750 calories / day. While some might say that's bad it works for me to drop weight AND keep it off. I lost 40-50 pounds doing this a couple years ago and once I hit my target weight I upped the calories and continued working out.

What's worse... a "bad diet" or lugging around an extra 30, 40, or 50 pounds? Have you ever felt a heavy suitcase?

All to say, if you have 10 to lose then go nuts for 2-3 weeks, lose it and immediately get back into a regular diet with exercise.

Since you're male, 1200 is considered undereating for you. You should be aiming for 1500 net calories minimum.

+1.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

NotSureIfSRS.jpg
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

NotSureIfSRS.jpg

If she was 4'10, 105 lbs and not weighing food... Or 6'0 and 400... Or anywhere in between... Need stats and info to give any useful answer
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    No food = no energy. EAT
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    It is recommended that no one eat below 1200 calories

-1500 is the recommended minimum for men

Says who?
  • senecarr
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

NotSureIfSRS.jpg

If she was 4'10, 105 lbs and not weighing food... Or 6'0 and 400... Or anywhere in between... Need stats and info to give any useful answer

Fair enough. I wasn't sure if the weighing food was a stock reply joke, or checking the person is actually eating more and doesn't know it.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »

Says who?

I believe MFP got that information from the National Institute of Health.

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1375583-a-message-about-myfitnesspal-s-updated-nutrition-goals
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Says who?

I believe MFP got that information from the National Institute of Health.

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1375583-a-message-about-myfitnesspal-s-updated-nutrition-goals

BAM!
  • senecarr
    Options

Says who?

The National Institutes of Health indicates that eating plans of 1,500 calories for men, and 1,200 calories for women, are safe and effective in achieving weight loss. To align with these guidelines myfitnesspal has implemented a separate calorie minimum for males of 1,500 calories per day. Previously, the minimum was 1,200 calories for both men and women.