How much did drinking water impact your weight loss?

Options
1235»

Replies

• daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Hot off the press - New guideline from the sports medicine community:

http://journals.lww.com/cjsportsmed/Fulltext/2015/07000/Statement_of_the_ Third_International.2.aspx
    Summary: In all but the most extreme situations like marathons or Iron man compositions. Drink when you are thirsty and when you are no longer thirsty stop. Listen to your body, it is magnificent at achieving homeostasis.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Well for starters I drink 4 32 oz bottles a day bc when I do I lose more. When I don't keep up with it its less. Something about helping to fatten the fat cell before it flushes out the fat and wooshes. I have actually experience woish from drinking loads of water. I lost 5 lbs in one week. This was not in the beginning or "water weight".

Also water helps your kidneys from getting kidney infections from dehydration, and urinary tract infections so I think that counts as a health benefit. Your skin gets glowy. Your intestines work better. Your eyes are brighter. More energy.

coffee however counts against your water intake and you have to drink 2 cups water for every 1 cup coffee. It causes malabsorption of vitamins being a diuretic. And will make you dehydrated if you drink too much. (My dr. Told me this btw bc I only drank coffee at one point)

However tea counts towards water intake and has health benefits as long as you dont add milk n sugar.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Replacing soda with water and unsweetened tea cut out a huge number of calories i was ingesting as I was a heavy soda drinker several years ago. It also lessened my cravings for sugar as I wasn't drinking it all day.

Drinking more water with meals helps me feel more full and reduces the temptation to overeat.

No, there are no "magical" fat loss properties of drinking more water. But it's a great tool to help you stick to your calorie goals and benefits your overall health (unless you are part of the minority who already drink enough water on a daily basis).
  • shawnmstout
    shawnmstout Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Water has helped me greatly. I try to drink half my weight in ounces daily. Some days are easier than others, also drinking in the warmer months is easier to do too. Good luck.

Half your weight in ounces? That's allot of water! Lol

depends on how much you weigh, for me i would need to call the culligan man :wink:
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    CJReg119 wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused about how we are defining "water" here. Does the assumed benefit of drinking "water" on weight loss include all (calorie free) liquids?? For example, I drink lots of fresh-brewed iced tea. I'm thinking it's the same benefit as plain water. Thoughts?

Tea has about 2 calories/bag. Also seems to give you a decent hit of potassium.
    http://www.caloriecount.com/calories-tea-i14355

Personally I don't count it, but I don't count spices either.

And its diuretic effect has been overstated. You need to first deprive yourself of it for a period of days or weeks, then drink 5-8 cups of tea in order to produce more urine than normal. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19774754
  • shawnmstout
    Options
    I once heard that drinking water- a certain amount ( > or = 8 cups) - helps with fat reduction in and of itself. Has anyone ever heard that?

I have heard it, but havent seen any fat loss due to water. I did a challenge of 1 gallon a day for a month, i lasted 5 days but i still drink about 1/2 gallon a day most of my days. somedays more, somedays less.
  • shawnmstout
    Options
    Drinking water has kept me alive so I'm pretty satisfied with that

drinking water has kept us all alive so i agree, good thing :smile:
  • eileendylan
    eileendylan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Drinking water helps to stay hydrated. Hunger pangs can signal thirst or can be that your body needs fuel. I drink water (prefer ice water) first to see if my hunger pangs go away. It usually does the trick so I don't end up eating!!