Crystal light vs plain water

Options
I get tired of plain water. Is crystal light bad?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Only if artificial sweeteners make you sick
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Cynthiamr2015 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It has calories too....
  • CMH24
    CMH24 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Try slicing up real lemon, lime, cucumber, melon, or other fruits and tossing it in your water! :)
  • Rheameg
    Rheameg Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'll try buying a lemon
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I love Mio and the powerade versions.
  • nija1523
    nija1523 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Try Powerade ZERO calorie sports drink. My favorite is grape. Tonight I drank 2-32oz bottles in one sitting! Walmart $.80
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Rheameg wrote: »
    I get tired of plain water. Is crystal light bad?

Nah. I love Crystal Light. I did the math once and found that the most I ever drink in a day is 35 calories worth, but that's a lot of water (I think a gallon...if I remember correctly). I don't even log it.

I also like Mio.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I drink it often, but have to dilute it more than recommended or I find it too sweet. If it will make you increase your water intake, go for it! But, remember to log the calories!
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I like Crystal Light pure and True Lemon/True Lime drink packets. They have no artificial flavors, preservatives or sweeteners. The True Lime also has no artificial colors. I drink mostly water, but like to have one of these once in awhile.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I drink the walmart brand of this product on almost a daily basis. Its no better or worse for you than all the other products at the supermarket that have artificial dyes and sweeteners.
  • skinnyscorpion99
    skinnyscorpion99 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Here's what works for me: I have a clear water bottle that I like to carry around. I fill it up with water, drop a short squirt of Crystal light liquid (my fav is strawberry-lemonade) in it, shake it a it, and enjoy that. Heh-heh, sometimes I call it my "princess water" because it's pink! Anyway, it gets me to drink more water than I would otherwise. Another fortunate side effect is that I also crave just regular water, too. I would agree with jenibethbu about finding the right dilution that works for you. There are a couple of times when I definitely "over-squirted" and added way to much to my water! My personal preference is a bit dilute, but to each his own.

I also used to buy lime juice in the fruit section and drop a few squirts into my bottle, also. That was pretty refreshing, too. I hope you find what works for you, Rheameg!
  • Rheameg
    Rheameg Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I use and log it. I only do 1-2 servings a day. It is a nice change in the summer when I am drinking more fluids.
  • RBracken34
    RBracken34 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Personally, drinking stuff with artificial sweeteners seems to make me crave sweets... which is why I stay far away from that stuff. But if it doesn't bug you and you have no problem drinking stuff with ingredients that don't appear in nature, then go for it. As you can see, lots of people have had neutral to positive experiences with it.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I use the packets for a 16 oz bottle but dilute one in a half gallon of water. There might be a few calories there but it gets me drinking a lot more water than I would otherwise which seems like a good trade off to me.
  • PSec
    PSec Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners alter the flora in your gut in a bad way, and cause you to crave sweets, but CICO I guess (except it may also cause metabolic disease). Lots of the studies are with rats, not people though, so it might be early to say for sure.
  • rachelbouc
    rachelbouc Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love the crystal light. I've also found that I can mix it with more water to stretch it future. I can do the lemonade with 30 oz.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    PSec wrote: »
    Artificial sweeteners alter the flora in your gut in a bad way, and cause you to crave sweets, but CICO I guess (except it may also cause metabolic disease). Lots of the studies are with rats, not people though, so it might be early to say for sure.

How do we know that it cause the rats to crave sweets?

I...as a human being...that consumes Crystal Lite...have not seen an increase in my cravings for sweets. Actually...very seldom do I crave anything sweet.