Because I am that idiot.....

Options
13»

Replies

• JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Setting up complex recipes can be a pain, but it's easy once you get the hang of it and allows you to be extremely accurate with homemade foods.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    JohnBarth wrote: »
    I even weigh pans and serving dishes, so I can net the calories for a recipe without transferring to a new container. Big batch of taco meat, for instance. Pan weighs 1450 grams. Entire batch of meat + pan = 3000 grams. Because it has 8 servings, 3000-1450=1550/8 = 194g/serving

Omfg you're a legend!!!!! What a fantastically awesome idea!!!!
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Thank you op!! Thanks everyone for your replies. This thread has just made my day so much easier
  • JohnBarth
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    I even weigh pans and serving dishes, so I can net the calories for a recipe without transferring to a new container. Big batch of taco meat, for instance. Pan weighs 1450 grams. Entire batch of meat + pan = 3000 grams. Because it has 8 servings, 3000-1450=1550/8 = 194g/serving

Omfg you're a legend!!!!! What a fantastically awesome idea!!!!

What's also cool about knowing the weight of an entire recipe is that you can set the entire batch as 1 serving of say 4000 calories. If you want 400 calorie servings, divide total weight by 10 and portion to the calculated weight. If you want less calories, reduce serving size accordingly.
  • JustMe2691
    JustMe2691 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Oh good Lord! I've been adding things to a container and doing math to get the individual amounts of each ingredient. Hit the zero button. Genius! Oh and love that peanut butter serving amount thing too.
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    For peanut butter on bread, I weigh the bread, then zero out the scale with the bread still on it, then put peanut butter on the bread, weigh it, and you now have the weight of just the peanut butter that you added. :)
  • JohnBarth
    Options
    Narcissora wrote: »
    For peanut butter on bread, I weigh the bread, then zero out the scale with the bread still on it, then put peanut butter on the bread, weigh it, and you now have the weight of just the peanut butter that you added. :)

This works great for adding butter to a dinner roll as well! Cheese to a salad. Croutons to a salad. Everything! :-)
  • doylejohnpaul787
    doylejohnpaul787 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Narcissora wrote: »

But you are left with a knife or spoon covered in PB and it's a shame to throw it away. Better to put the PB jar on the scales, zero it and take what you need. Now you have the weight of the PB on the bread and on the knife.
  • Hjones2889
    Hjones2889 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    Maybe this is common knowledge, but I wanted to spare anyone who has been reluctant to use a food scale...

At first, I assumed I had to tediously weigh every food item separately, directly on the scale (weigh food, remove and wipe it clean, weigh 2nd ingredient, wipe it clean, etc). It took me a while to realize that I am an idiot....

Turn the scale on. Set it to grams. Put your bowl or plate directly on the scale. Zero it out. THEN put the first ingredient. Zero it out and add the next ingredient, repeat. I can't believe I didn't understand this immediately--so literally all you have to do is hit the zero/tare button before adding each ingredient. Nothing to clean. No extra steps since you're already adding in ingredients to your plate/bowl anyway. It's THAT easy.

I hope I have spared someone from this shame. :'(

Never even thought of this! i have been weighing out my food for like 5 weeks and have done all my salad ingredients separate.. fml
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is common knowledge, but I wanted to spare anyone who has been reluctant to use a food scale...

At first, I assumed I had to tediously weigh every food item separately, directly on the scale (weigh food, remove and wipe it clean, weigh 2nd ingredient, wipe it clean, etc). It took me a while to realize that I am an idiot....

Turn the scale on. Set it to grams. Put your bowl or plate directly on the scale. Zero it out. THEN put the first ingredient. Zero it out and add the next ingredient, repeat. I can't believe I didn't understand this immediately--so literally all you have to do is hit the zero/tare button before adding each ingredient. Nothing to clean. No extra steps since you're already adding in ingredients to your plate/bowl anyway. It's THAT easy.

Needs a "Like" button, and possibly a sticky. Thank you, brave idiot.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    thanks, I haven't moved over to scaling yet but thank you for when I do need to
  • misscharleygirl
    misscharleygirl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing when I originally began weighing my food a couple years ago. Then I realized there had to be a better way to measure condiments.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

You're adorable! :D

It took me awhile to figure that one out too.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    And to add to this op.

If you put a jar of peaut butter or something on the scale and zero it, then you can scoop out what you want and it will show how.much you took out.

Someone posted that on here recently and it was awesome!

Great idea!
  • SLLRunner
    Options

I do this but take it a step further. Set the number of servings for the recipe to 1550. Then when you serve out a portion, weigh out the number of grams and enter that as the number of servings. Perfect portion, every time.

It took me a minute, but I get it--whatever your recipe weighs after cooking, put in the total weight so that you always get a grams serving. Another good idea!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I did that too at first when I got my food scale...*Idiot raising hand*

I use the recipe builder too a lot...I love the fact that sometimes my recipes have different amounts (you know those ones where you just throw crap together) and I can change the weight/servings easily here.

I've been tempted to write the weights of my cooking pans on them in permanent marker to be honest...haven't gone that far yet but I might...just so I know when I use this pan weigh the food when it's done cooking how much to subtract for the recipe builder.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I just had to instruct a PhD to do the same, so you're in good company :)
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Feel no shame. I didn't realize it until months after weighing.

And I JUST realized the whole "sit the jar on the scale and zero out and scoop" trick. Biggest "f*** me moment" ever.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options

Needs a "Like" button, and possibly a sticky. Thank you, brave idiot.

hahaha!! You're welcome! Nice to see all the fun responses, and great ideas about the recipes and pb jars!
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I've been having a grand old time today weighing all sorts of things with my new-found knowledge. lol.

The first thing I discovered is that my jar of cashews says a serving is "3 T (30g)". Well first of all how do you accurately scoop a tablespoon of cashews? I usually scoop three tablespoons without trying to pile them on and still it was WAY over 30 grams when I weighed it.

My sliced cheese says each slice is 21 grams, and I weighed four or five slices (only ate two, I was just checking) and every one was exactly 21 grams. How do they do that? lol

Dried blueberries (no added sugar, just blueberries), serving size "1/3 cup (40g)". I scooped 1/3 of a cup and it weighed in at 68 grams!

omg.... Thanks VERY much for this thread.