Thigh GAP?

Options

Replies

• half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Most people are missing a big advantage of thigh gap: no heat rashes when wearing dresses or skirts. That's why I always wanted one -- but that just isn't in the stars for my body shape.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a thigh gap when I weighed 120 pounds, so it's not something I've ever paid attention to.
  • amdawells
    amdawells Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Angierae75 wrote: »
    I didn't have a thigh gap when I weighed 120 pounds, so it's not something I've ever paid attention to.

Me either! I was in sports all year round in Jr. High & in High School & I had no such thing. Even at my lowest, adult, weight (115lbs.) I never had one. I'm still not worried about it. Makes no difference to me ... but it is pretty funny to read all the comments about it!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    half_moon wrote: »
    Most people are missing a big advantage of thigh gap: no heat rashes when wearing dresses or skirts. That's why I always wanted one -- but that just isn't in the stars for my body shape.

There are ways to fix that. Some people use Body Glide, I like the Jockey Skimmy Shorts.

Here are some other options:

http://www.xojane.com/healthy/chub-rub-thigh-chafing-solutions
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    When people say thigh gap do they mean
    1) small v shaped gap at top of thighs to groin
    2) longer gap between thighs
    3) when standing straight, feet touching
    4) when lying down knees raised, feet together

So many questions so little true caring about the answer, just a minor curiosity
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I don't think most women do that. It's certainly not something I've ever heard a friend discuss. It's not a common goal here.

The ones who do are probably thinking they look better that way.

I agree. My friends and I have more interesting stuff to discuss, even when it comes to body and fitness. The first time I heard anything about a thigh gap was......ahem......here. :)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    A lot of people want their thighs not to brush when they walk. That's what the woman who was going on about it was talking about last time. She didn't know that's not what it means.

Thighs not touching when your heels are together is a kind of back-of-the-napkin indication of anorexia-level low weight. It was first made know by a Hot Or Not TV show where women who were so thin that their thighs COULD NOT touch were called out as being too thin, unhealthy, and likely eating-disordered. This became, under the pro-ana crowd, then something to desire.

I've very rarely seen women this thin. Not one of them would make a BMI of 18.5. And it almost always occurs when one's knees become larger than one's thighs. Which is...well...not an attractive look to most people.

Thigh gaps are not all about being too thin. Some people naturally have thigh gaps because they are hereditary, and it has nothing to do with one's attractiveness.

• SLLRunner
    Options
    I remember when I was in highschool it wasn't the thigh gap. Everyone wanted visible hipbones. I think it's unfortunately one of those not always attainable standards of beauty that younger girls become obsessed with.

Visible collarbones was another fad phase as well.

It's beyond me why can't people just be happy with their bodies.
  • lucyholdcroft363
    lucyholdcroft363 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I had a thigh gap at 220lbs, 109lbs and continue to have one at 158, it really is just your bone structure. I know tiny, tiny women who have thighs that touch! I don't mind having it there, I'm neither pleased nor repulsed. I do think that aiming to change your bone structure is ridiculous though!
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I had a thigh gap at 220lbs, 109lbs and continue to have one at 158, it really is just your bone structure. I know tiny, tiny women who have thighs that touch! I don't mind having it there, I'm neither pleased nor repulsed. I do think that aiming to change your bone structure is ridiculous though!

Ditto - I have a bit of a gap now with 40lbs left to lose. My hips are just wide and shallow. It's all in my genes.

In a way, it's nice because I haven't thrown away a single pair of pants due to wear since I got down far enough for it to appear. However, if it came to preference, I'd rather have another size or so off my waist than a gap.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Nataliac28 wrote: »
    In my case, I think a thigh gap would be more comfortable for me when I wear skirts and shorts since my thighs rub each other when I walk. It isn't necessarily a beauty goal, it would just make me feel more comfortable. Perhaps it happens to other women, and even men, too.

Thigh gap doesn't just mean that your thighs don't rub when you walk. I have to be close to overweight to get that, and I do absolutely hate it, it prevents me from wearing skirts without tights.

Thigh gap means that if you stand with your knees touching there's still a gap, I think. Whether that's possible depends on how wide your hips are or how your pelvis is or something. I have narrow hips, so am pretty sure it wouldn't be possible for me.

Luckily, I'm old, so no one cared about thigh gap back when I was growing up and therefore the idea it's supposed to be appealing is just weird to me. Back in the day it was all about flat stomachs and hip bones. Currently, I want muscle definition, though.
  • noel2fit
    noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thigh gap is not Beyonce approved... I vote no.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I couldn't resist and had to try some of the things talked here. :o
    I have the thigh gap, but I always have, genetics, I can understand the annoyance of them rubbing when hot/dress tho. But just genetics. imo
    the rest elbow lick, belly button touch, etc..... No Way .... zero flexibility and bad shoulders....
    Ok, back to work...
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    noel2fit wrote: »

Beyoncé has a thigh gap!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    supposedly it's a sign of being "thin" but i've met many very skinny girls who still didn't have a thigh gap. my thighs will never not touch. even at my skinniest they touched. just gotta accept it. my partner says it's his favorite part about a woman's body anyways, lol
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    not this old horse again...I don't crave it, although I sort of have it since I lost weigh - alot of the time having a thigh gap is purely genetics.
  • Jesusjohnjames
    Jesusjohnjames Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    No she does not lol haha
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    royaldrea wrote: »

Beyoncé has a thigh gap!

Beyonce photoshops her thigh gap in a blatantly obvious way.

Just sayin' lol.
  • Jesusjohnjames
    Jesusjohnjames Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Wow
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    its very important...for when you do exams you can put your phone on your chair and peek through your thigh gap at the right answers.

B)
    lmao