"Fake" sugar: Why is it not good for you?

Options

Replies

• ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    Sugar intake can lead to spikes in insulin, which can lead to increases in subjective hunger, which leads to more eating, which leads to weight gain. Because sugar intake is paired invariably with a sweet taste, anything else that also tastes sweet (even if it has zero nutritive value) can make the sweet taste also result in insulin spikes. It's behavioral psychology, basically. At least, this is the theory I heard in my psychobiology course about 20 years ago.

Protein also spikes insulin.

Yeah, I'm not saying I really believed this theory. I eat plenty of "fake sugar" and I have never found it to have any negative effects on weight loss.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    No. The most toxic thing in my Diet Coke is the water.

The phosphoric acid is probably a bit more toxic :-)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    The aspartame made me crave sweets.

You get different answers from scientists on this stuff and when they can't agree, I err on the side of caution, so it's out.

The whole thing reminds me of the cigarette debates. There is still no proof that anyone died because they smoked, but it's generally agreed that sucking that stuff into your lungs will do them no good and it should be avoided. But there were plenty of doctors and scientists testifying that there was no proof it hurt anyone, they themselves smoked, etc.

Until the scientists are (almost) all in agreement, stop saying things like, "There is no proof that it will hurt you" and start saying things like, "It's good for you," I'm going to try not to swallow it.

Aspartame is probably the single most-studied food additive in existence. There IS no proof that it's bad for you. As a matter of fact, the scientific consensus on aspartame is that it's just fine to consume. All of the reputable sources are pretty much in agreement there.

If it causes you to feel more hungry, then fine - don't consume it. But don't spread misinformation on it just because you personally don't trust the science behind it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    apparently diet drinks make you store fat, I used to use them to suppress my hunger but its not worth the risk of drinking them

That is completely untrue. I can't even imagine where you heard/read this, but it's not true. Only a calorie surplus makes you store fat.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    sadiebrawl wrote: »
    I'm so not going to argue why I believe soda is junk food. Instead I'm going to go buy a pack of light cigarettes because those must not be as bad as smoking regular ones. :)

+1 (i'm plussing myself here and I don't give a shite)

That is so outrageous I'm making it

+2
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'm so not going to argue why I believe soda is junk food. Instead I'm going to go buy a pack of light cigarettes because those must not be as bad as smoking regular ones. :)

Horrible analogy...especially since there is nothing wrong with regular soda either.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Horrible analogy...especially since there is nothing wrong with regular soda either.

Now, now - let's not get ahead of ourselves. She may have a point.

I mean, surely inhaling soda, diet or regular, into your lungs every day, multiple times a day, would not be healthy...
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

I mean, surely inhaling soda, diet or regular, into your lungs every day, multiple times a day, would not be healthy...

Yeah..but have you ever tried rolling your own soda-rette?
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    A thread about "fake sugar" that eventually turns into 'If you consume artificial sweeteners and regular sugar, you will fry on Satan's pitchfork.' Never would have guessed it. Add me to the list going down to h3ll. At least it will be warm.

See I'm finding the opposite very true. If you say sugar is bad for you, you get kinda sorta made fun of.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

I prefer to vape my soda.
  • sadiebrawl
    Options

It was a joke.

• sadiebrawl
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

I prefer to vape my soda.

I just grab needles and shoot red bull right into my veins. Gives me that extra kick before a run, especially with all the cigarettes I smoke while out on the trails.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    A thread about "fake sugar" that eventually turns into 'If you consume artificial sweeteners and regular sugar, you will fry on Satan's pitchfork.' Never would have guessed it. Add me to the list going down to h3ll. At least it will be warm.

See I'm finding the opposite very true. If you say sugar is bad for you, you get kinda sorta made fun of.

Because it kinda sorta almost never has any argument behind it that holds.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Yes, because people like to clear up incorrect information, and that statement "Sugar is bad for you" is incorrect.
  • sadiebrawl
    Options

Yes, because people like to clear up incorrect information, and that statement "Sugar is bad for you" is incorrect.

Well if it's good for you, you sir. Made my day. Off to get a snickers bar and a coke from the vending machine. Tossing my apple!
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Good on you, make it fit!

But...saying something isn't bad for you is not the same as saying something is good for you.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options

~sips diet coke~