"Fake" sugar: Why is it not good for you?

Options
half_moon
half_moon Posts: 807 Member
Aspartame, sucralose, etc. We all see them in "sugar free" snacks, and many people claim it is no good for weight loss because the body metabolizes the fake sugar the same way it does real sugar because it "can't tell a difference."

If I am trying to watch my sugar intake, do you think there is truth to this? Or zero-calorie substitutions just fine?

Thanks for your input.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners are often metabolised differently - for example they exit in urine. They have no energy value because of this, or very little because of their sweetness requiring tiny amounts.

A gram of aspartame might be as sweet as a kilogram of sugar (or more), so even if it were fully digested and absorbed there would be 1/1000th of the calories.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    FWIW-I dont believe their is any truth to this. Anecdotal-but if it wasn't for sugar free products I probably would not be losing. I go for sugar free ice pops when I feel snacky, coke zero when I need a caffeine fix, sugar free jello, artificial flavors in my coffee.

All of these things have HELPED me lose weight-not hindered it. If I replaced all of my "fake sugar" items with the full-calorie versions I would be heavier, as I would be consuming 100's more calories a day.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    half_moon wrote: »
    Aspartame, sucralose, etc. We all see them in "sugar free" snacks, and many people claim it is no good for weight loss because the body metabolizes the fake sugar the same way it does real sugar because it "can't tell a difference."

If I am trying to watch my sugar intake, do you think there is truth to this? Or zero-calorie substitutions just fine?

Thanks for your input.

Eat the fake sugars if they help you. :)
  • Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    If anyone tells you that Aspartame is a neurotoxin, just walk away from the conversation. There are a group of people that are convinced Aspartame is harmful, but every scientific study done on it has shown there are no ill effects to it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I just eat real sugar, problem solved.
  • rossinator63
    rossinator63 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I know people that have severe reactions to artificial sweeteners (headache, digestive problems, etc). My feeling is that it is an artificial chemical you are ingesting, so avoid it. Just eat natural foods.
  • slaite1
    Options
    I know people that have severe reactions to artificial sweeteners (headache, digestive problems, etc). My feeling is that it is an artificial chemical you are ingesting, so avoid it. Just eat natural foods.

My cousin has severe reactions to most meat, dairy, all but 2 or 3 types of fruit. He has to avoid these items to not get sick-does that mean I have to avoid them also? Obviously not
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Those reactions are allergies/sensitivities. Just because someone else cannot tolerate a certain food does not mean it is bad for everyone. (Anyone want a peanut?)

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options

I get sick if I eat bananas. That doesn't mean that no one else should eat them.

• rdberg1957
    rdberg1957 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think the problem with the artificial sweeteners has been appetite and cravings, which is the same problem with sugars. When I eat sugar, I tend to eat more calories overall. The sweetness registers the same as far as the brain is concerned. If you don't experience that, it may not be a problem for you. My bias is that simple whole foods are generally better (fruits and vegetables, small amounts of fish and chicken, small amounts of whole grains and legumes).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    rdberg1957 wrote: »
    I think the problem with the artificial sweeteners has been appetite and cravings, which is the same problem with sugars. When I eat sugar, I tend to eat more calories overall. The sweetness registers the same as far as the brain is concerned. If you don't experience that, it may not be a problem for you. My bias is that simple whole foods are generally better (fruits and vegetables, small amounts of fish and chicken, small amounts of whole grains and legumes).

Wait doesn't fruit have sugar in it??
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Now, I haven't seen any articles that says splenda will cause you cancer or anything like that there are articles that says sugar free items can help with gaining weight. Some articles argue that people will argue that they are having a large diet coke, they can have the Big Mac with out realizing that they are going over their calorie limit.
    Another article that I had read, said something that splenda tricks your body into eating because it expecting something sort of food.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Stevia is all natural. Some brands add fillers - such as Truvia... However, a brand called Sweet Leaf is pure stevia.
    I have found it in the organic section of my supermarket and on Amazon. They have tons of flavors too in droplet form. You can add it to water, plain yogurt, coffee, etc. It is a zero calorie alternative that is less controversial. However, most food manufacturers use aspartame, which is artificial. I can tolerate it without any side effects, cravings, etc. But, apparently, some people still crave sugar when they ingest aspartame.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Artificial sweeteners are often metabolised differently - for example they exit in urine. They have no energy value because of this, or very little because of their sweetness requiring tiny amounts.

A gram of aspartame might be as sweet as a kilogram of sugar (or more), so even if it were fully digested and absorbed there would be 1/1000th of the calories.

How does this address the question posed in the OP?
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Now, I haven't seen any articles that says splenda will cause you cancer or anything like that there are articles that says sugar free items can help with gaining weight. Some articles argue that people will argue that they are having a large diet coke, they can have the Big Mac with out realizing that they are going over their calorie limit.
    Another article that I had read, said something that splenda tricks your body into eating because it expecting something sort of food.

Unproven broscience.

• earlnabby
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    How does this address the question posed in the OP?

The OP:
    half_moon wrote: »

Thanks for your input.

The input:
    yarwell wrote: »

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    In MY experience, it can be worse than sugar - makes me crave carbs like crazy. Especially splenda. Especially because most things that have splenda in them are just way too sweet (which is the case of most products with artificial sweeteners, honestly).
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    FWIW-I dont believe their is any truth to this. Anecdotal-but if it wasn't for sugar free products I probably would not be losing. I go for sugar free ice pops when I feel snacky, coke zero when I need a caffeine fix, sugar free jello, artificial flavors in my coffee.

All of these things have HELPED me lose weight-not hindered it. If I replaced all of my "fake sugar" items with the full-calorie versions I would be heavier, as I would be consuming 100's more calories a day.

This. Although I also incorporate moderate amounts of sugar in my diet as well (hello Talenti). If you need to cut sugar out due to lack of control around it, that's fine, but replacing with artificial sugar may help you prevent binges when you do get sugar cravings. Other people cut out a lot of sugars and have no cravings because their palates change.

Find something that works for you.
  • slaite1
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    slaite1 wrote: »

This. Although I also incorporate moderate amounts of sugar in my diet as well (hello Talenti). If you need to cut sugar out due to lack of control around it, that's fine, but replacing with artificial sugar may help you prevent binges when you do get sugar cravings. Other people cut out a lot of sugars and have no cravings because their palates change.

Find something that works for you.

Same here. Should have specified that. I use sugar free products just for low calorie snacks and soda. I also eat plenty of regular chocolate, use real sugar in my coffee, and steal the BF's candy frequently :smile:
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    rdberg1957 wrote: »

Wait doesn't fruit have sugar in it??

Fruit sugar is "clean" sugar......and well the other stuff is processed different, right? That's what I keep hearing around here........