"Fake" sugar: Why is it not good for you?

Options

Replies

• mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, there is no harm in using it.
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    It makes me feel like crap, so I don't eat it. I know there are others who are fine using it though, so it depends on your personal preference. I use honey or maple syrup in small quantities and I use Erythritol if I don't want the calories, which has very little impact on blood sugar and no real caloric impact in the body.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    In MY experience, it can be worse than sugar - makes me crave carbs like crazy. Especially splenda. Especially because most things that have splenda in them are just way too sweet (which is the case of most products with artificial sweeteners, honestly).

I have found this to be true for me too. If I need to sweeten something up, i use it. But, if I start eating too much of it I am hungrier in general.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    rdberg1957 wrote: »
    I think the problem with the artificial sweeteners has been appetite and cravings, which is the same problem with sugars. When I eat sugar, I tend to eat more calories overall. The sweetness registers the same as far as the brain is concerned. If you don't experience that, it may not be a problem for you. My bias is that simple whole foods are generally better (fruits and vegetables, small amounts of fish and chicken, small amounts of whole grains and legumes).

Wait doesn't fruit have sugar in it??

Fruit sugar is "clean" sugar......and well the other stuff is processed different, right? That's what I keep hearing around here........

Fruit: Fructose and glucose
    Donut: Fructose and glucose
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I think the problem with the artificial sweeteners has been appetite and cravings, which is the same problem with sugars. When I eat sugar, I tend to eat more calories overall. The sweetness registers the same as far as the brain is concerned. If you don't experience that, it may not be a problem for you. My bias is that simple whole foods are generally better (fruits and vegetables, small amounts of fish and chicken, small amounts of whole grains and legumes).

Fruit sugar is "clean" sugar......and well the other stuff is processed different, right? That's what I keep hearing around here........

Clean sugar...chuckles. That's like the idiots who says Stevia is a more natural sugar despite the fact that is just as processed as cane sugar. Are we not at the expiry date of the latest nutrient blame fad yet?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

you forgot fiber....
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

you forgot fiber....

Sooooo Fiber is sugars kryptonite then? lulz....

Clean sugar...chuckles. That's like the idiots who says Stevia is a more natural sugar despite the fact that is just as processed as cane sugar. Are we not at the expiry date of the latest nutrient blame fad yet?

Glad you got my sarcasm.... :smiley:

There will be no expiry date when too many people stand to profit from fear mongering..... it's just sad really...

• pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure how to begin this...

Sugars are made from carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. The two we use for our major metabolic pathways are glucose and fructose (other sugars are altered in the body to become either of these two). Table sugar, sucrose, is glucose and fructose linked together. There are several other types of sugar, but glc and frct are the two important ones.

Artificial sweeteners are created in a couple different ways. Sucralose is created by chlorinating sucrose. Aspartame is basically a couple amino acids linked together (the building blocks of protein). Regardless of how they are made they are said to be metabolically unimportant because the amount needed to make something sweet is miniscule compared to "normal" sweeteners. Artificial sweeteners are several hundreds to over a thousand times sweeter than sucrose. The number of calories you injest when you eat an artificial sweetener is basically too small to count.

All of that being said, the big push for these sweeteners was also because of the diabetic community. Because these are metabolized in a different way, it was believed for many years that the gut didn't recognize this as a sugar even though it tastes sweet. Now however, we've learned that the taste of sweetness may be causing the pancreas to release insulin in the blood in order to decrease blood glucose.

All of that being said... if a diet coke helps you stick to your diet, or some sweetener in your yogurt makes it easier, and you don't personally feel any side effects, then it's probably safe to use. There is a lot of research going on and the biochemistry world is rapidly changing our view on how our bodies work.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25271009

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3221019/
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    The problem with artificial sweeteners is that they trigger the same blood chemistry as regular sugar ...

You get the high, and then the crash. And the crash tends to make you hungry/crave. This, in turn, causes most ppl to eat more, defeating CICO.

If you have the willpower to not submit to the cravings and stay on track for your macro and caloric goals, you will be fine using artificial sweeteners.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I lost 75lbs and kept it off for well over 1 year drinking Coke Zero the whole way. It certainly hurt my weight loss. And, of course, Aspartame puked on my white carpet leaving a very nasty stain. So I will never forgive Aspartame for that.

*giggle*
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners helped me lose (and now maintain) my weight with no ill effects.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Now, I haven't seen any articles that says splenda will cause you cancer or anything like that there are articles that says sugar free items can help with gaining weight. Some articles argue that people will argue that they are having a large diet coke, they can have the Big Mac with out realizing that they are going over their calorie limit.
    Another article that I had read, said something that splenda tricks your body into eating because it expecting something sort of food.

Do you have links to any of these "articles"? Are any of them actual scientific studies?

I've heard people say things like this, and I really and truly don't understand that concept. I've been drinking Diet Coke for 20 or so years, not to mention artificial sweeteners in my coffee (although I don't anymore, not because they are bad, I just started using flavored creamers and don't miss the Splenda). I have never once accidentally eaten a Big Mac because my Diet Coke tricked me into thinking that I had to eat since I wasn't full enough. If I eat a Big Mac, it is because I am hungry, or because I just want it (which I don't even like Big Macs, it is just the example provided) not because I ate 2000 calories of other foods and because I drank Diet Coke, my body thought I needed MOAR food...

And I just had a thought. If that were true, that artificial sweeteners trick your body into eating more than it needs, wouldn't that be a great tool for those struggling to put on weight, whether due to illness, eating disorder, or just malnourished?

• sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, so you have to listen to your body. It makes me feel like poop when I have any kind of artificial sweeteners, so I try and steer clear. If I want something sweet I'll have a smaller portion of something with plain ole sugar or honey.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I have never once accidentally eaten a Big Mac because my Diet Coke tricked me into thinking that I had to eat since I wasn't full enough.

I just snorted coffee. Thanks for that.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    half_moon wrote: »
    Aspartame, sucralose, etc. We all see them in "sugar free" snacks, and many people claim it is no good for weight loss because the body metabolizes the fake sugar the same way it does real sugar because it "can't tell a difference."

If I am trying to watch my sugar intake, do you think there is truth to this? Or zero-calorie substitutions just fine?

Thanks for your input.

That's 100% nonsense.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    pmm3437 wrote: »
    The problem with artificial sweeteners is that they trigger the same blood chemistry as regular sugar ...

Nope.

• MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    I joined MFP at 147.2lbs on June 9.

Today, I weighed in at 137.6lbs.

I drink 6 or so Diet Cokes a day because I don't do tea in the summer.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Now, I haven't seen any articles that says splenda will cause you cancer or anything like that there are articles that says sugar free items can help with gaining weight. Some articles argue that people will argue that they are having a large diet coke, they can have the Big Mac with out realizing that they are going over their calorie limit.
    Another article that I had read, said something that splenda tricks your body into eating because it expecting something sort of food.

Do you have links to any of these "articles"? Are any of them actual scientific studies?

I've heard people say things like this, and I really and truly don't understand that concept. I've been drinking Diet Coke for 20 or so years, not to mention artificial sweeteners in my coffee (although I don't anymore, not because they are bad, I just started using flavored creamers and don't miss the Splenda). I have never once accidentally eaten a Big Mac because my Diet Coke tricked me into thinking that I had to eat since I wasn't full enough. If I eat a Big Mac, it is because I am hungry, or because I just want it (which I don't even like Big Macs, it is just the example provided) not because I ate 2000 calories of other foods and because I drank Diet Coke, my body thought I needed MOAR food...

And I just had a thought. If that were true, that artificial sweeteners trick your body into eating more than it needs, wouldn't that be a great tool for those struggling to put on weight, whether due to illness, eating disorder, or just malnourished?

+1
    I lost 75lbs and kept it off for well over 1 year drinking Coke Zero the whole way. It certainly hurt my weight loss. And, of course, Aspartame puked on my white carpet leaving a very nasty stain. So I will never forgive Aspartame for that.

Curse you, aspartame! *shakes fist*
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    pmm3437 wrote: »

You get the high, and then the crash.
    And the crash tends to make you hungry/crave. This, in turn, causes most ppl to eat more, defeating CICO.

If you have the willpower to not submit to the cravings and stay on track for your macro and caloric goals, you will be fine using artificial sweeteners.

Wrong. If this were true, artificial sweeteners wouldn't be recommended to diabetics.