Weight during hot weather

Options
I'm going to weigh myself tomorrow, but I'm just wondering... It's been really hot here in the UK, we reached 31 degrees today, I have done nothing but sweat ALL day! I've been drinking a lot more too. Question is, am I more likely to retain water during this heatwave because I might be slightly dehydrated? Or will it be the opposite as I am sweating so much?

Replies

• RedRaven49
    RedRaven49 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I would really like to know the answer to this too. I did notice my weight rose a little in the hot weather, but it could have been for any number of reasons.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    If you're sweating a lot, but also staying hydrated, I'd assume they'd be balancing each other out.

I personally have never noticed a difference in my weight when it's hot out.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    It might be a matter of chemistry. I have noticed changes. Heat and humidity always give me temporary and small gains. Nothing to get upset over, but it still doesn't make me very happy.

I think drinking a little more water than normal is key to minimizing this. I've had better luck with it recently and I just moved 10 miles away from the Mississippi River in an area notorious for heat.
  • TiJoGa
    TiJoGa Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I swell up like a balloon in the heat. I'm carrying about five extra pounds of water right now
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    jellytot3 wrote: »
    I'm going to weigh myself tomorrow, but I'm just wondering... It's been really hot here in the UK, we reached 31 degrees today...
    Sorry, I had to laugh just a little at 31 degrees being hot.

I haven't noticed any difference.

• andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    It has been really hot here, and i have only taken off less then a pound in the last 2 weeks, while at a greater calorie deficit. Read somewhere (do not know if it is true) that the body holds on to more water during heat in anticipating of needing more for future sweating.
  • lesliezimmer
    lesliezimmer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This definitely varies person to person, but I was in a very hot climate (105 degrees F) for 4 days, and my weight was 180 lbs the whole time.

I came back to 70-75 degree F weather, which is what I'm used to, and when I woke up the next morning I was 174 lbs. So, you could be easily retaining 5-10 lbs of water weight depending on how your body individually reacts.

I also have zero appetite when it's hot out, but that's a whole different story.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm going to weigh myself tomorrow, but I'm just wondering... It's been really hot here in the UK, we reached 31 degrees today...

31 Celsius. That's hot for the UK!
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on your body. When the weather turns hot, I tend to retain water weight - about 8 lbs. When the weather cools down - off they come. I call it the fall run-off. It's tough to see that big of gain on the scale - but it is what it is.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

It's fine if you have air con and trains that don't stop cos it's too hot and they're scared the tracks will buckle

England - where the temperate weather scares national businesses and people are happy because they can complain about the weather again

Gotta love it
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it one way or another. A pound up or down means nothing. Happens every day to me as I take on water. In the morning, it is gone.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    the bigger question is, why does it matter? why do so many people do all of this hand wringing over water weight which is always going to be a variable that fluctuates due to any number of factors that are out of one's control?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

I know it's Celsius. I still laughed.

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

Yep. My Scottish ancestry has not prepared me for this.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

I know it's Celsius. I still laughed.

yeah, that's downright pleasant...
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options

ha, agree, 110 here some days
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

It's fine if you have air con and trains that don't stop cos it's too hot and they're scared the tracks will buckle

England - where the temperate weather scares national businesses and people are happy because they can complain about the weather again

Gotta love it
    "Phew, Whatta Scorcher!" on the front page of The Sun?
  • govols60
    govols60 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You're doing great. Don't worry about the water weight fluctuations. As long as you know you've been spot on with your nutrition program--including drinking all of the water you should be drinking--and your training, then you've done all you can to counterbalance the heat and any potential water-related weight increase. Personally, I've never noticed weight gain during hot weather.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    seeing as most of us live and work indoors- in cooled and heated homes and businesses, I don't think the outside temps would affect overall weight ;)

now, if you work outdoors, I could see it affecting it possibly.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

The OP might be in the north of the UK where it's a bit cooler.
    Here in London it was 37 degrees Celsius (around 99 f) ! :#
    Not many places in the UK have Air conditioning either.