Has anyone tried Colon Cleansing???

Options
I have heard a lot about colon cleansing and I have seen lots of advertisements. Has anyone out there tried it. Is it worth it and can the over the counter types you can get at GNC just as good as the expensive internet items?

Lots of questions I know. But I don't want to waste money if I don't have to. I get really bloated and I have heard this can help this plus shed pounds, waste and help your body to absorb nutrients better.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Angel

Replies

• WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    Having had multiple colonoscopy tests done would probably count as colon cleansing and personally I would never do that to myself willingly. I'm sure that I lost a few pounds but having to barricade myself in the bathroom for hours is definately not worth it.:grumble: Your body will do a fine job of eliminating waste on it's own.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Angel...check out 'cleansing' on a search on MFP...lots of opinions to be had, it's brought up pretty frequently.... :drinker:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Having had multiple colonoscopy tests done would probably count as colon cleansing and personally I would never do that to myself willingly. I'm sure that I lost a few pounds but having to barricade myself in the bathroom for hours is definately not worth it.:grumble: Your body will do a fine job of eliminating waste on it's own.

Ugh...been there, done that. :sick:
    The pictures I got showed a very healthy, clean, normally-colored colon, and I have never bothered with a 'colon cleansing' apart from that preparatory debacle. :laugh: Your colon doesn't need to be cleansed. There is a delicate balanced of bacteria in there that are necessary for normal functioning, and trying to speed all the food out as quickly as possible won't benefit you in any way; it will impede nutrient absorption and leave you open to dehydration.
  • aorose
    aorose Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you all for your input and information. Sounds like something I will have to think about hard. I don't know that my lifestyle (work/school) would give me time to be trapped in the bathroom for hours.

Angel
  • dietracker
    dietracker Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I did the Standard Process Purification Cleanse which detoxes your internal organs; spleen, kidneys, gall bladder, intestines... It is a 21 day process and worth every dollar. It reaaaallly works and is a great jump start to eating cleaner in the year to come. When I did it I lost anywhere from 10-15 pounds. And fealt great in the process. Check it out...I think you have to get it through a chiropractor or a holistic doctor. The consultation should be free. The kit is $223.00 . A little pricey I know, but I am telling you. It works and does amazing things for your body. Hope this helps.

Lacy
  • cheryl1999
    Options
    my cousin had it done before the christmas and she was raving about it, but I'm still not too willing to just go and do it myself, but would like some more info on it like everyone else.
  • Pubali
    Pubali Posts: 19
    Options
    I've always felt that something just doesn't seem right about it. It seems weird, but who am I to judge. From being in the alternative health business I can tell you that if you choose to do it, make sure you go to a professional. It's not the sort of thing you want to take casually.

Alternatively, you can eat healthily, drink lots of fluids, and consider doing simple yoga postures that focus on the abdomen. Some chiropractors are able to work with people that have difficulties with their digestive systems, too.

Good luck!
  • cheryl1999
    Options
    I'm wondering if you just add fiber to your diet like Pubali was saying to eat healthy would that be like the same thing?:smile:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I did the Standard Process Purification Cleanse which detoxes your internal organs; spleen, kidneys, gall bladder, intestines... It is a 21 day process and worth every dollar. It reaaaallly works and is a great jump start to eating cleaner in the year to come. When I did it I lost anywhere from 10-15 pounds. And fealt great in the process. Check it out...I think you have to get it through a chiropractor or a holistic doctor. The consultation should be free. The kit is $223.00 . A little pricey I know, but I am telling you. It works and does amazing things for your body. Hope this helps.

Lacy

I'd love to hear how *anything* is able to detox *all* of your organs. :huh: What's there to take out of your gall bladder? It's just a sac of tissue in which to store bile. Your kidneys *are* filtration devices...so unless your bladder isn't working properly, you're already filtering. That's like filtering a Brita filter. Expensive and redundant.

I think it's important to have a deep understanding of how the body works so you know what it needs and what it doesn't.
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I haven't gone as far as a cleanse, but I have taken the Internal Flush pills before. They really make you go if you drink enough water. The first time I tried it I had taken my daughter to the airport. It hit at a very inopportune time. Needless to say, I missed watching her lift off on her first unaccompanied trip to Grandma's!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

The pictures I got showed a very healthy, clean, normally-colored colon, and I have never bothered with a 'colon cleansing' apart from that preparatory debacle. :laugh: Your colon doesn't need to be cleansed. There is a delicate balanced of bacteria in there that are necessary for normal functioning, and trying to speed all the food out as quickly as possible won't benefit you in any way; it will impede nutrient absorption and leave you open to dehydration.

My doctor said " The garbage is already on the back porch, no need to get it to the curb any faster!"
  • arewethereyet
    Options

Lacy

I'd love to hear how *anything* is able to detox *all* of your organs. :huh: What's there to take out of your gall bladder? It's just a sac of tissue in which to store bile. Your kidneys *are* filtration devices...so unless your bladder isn't working properly, you're already filtering. That's like filtering a Brita filter. Expensive and redundant.

I think it's important to have a deep understanding of how the body works so you know what it needs and what it doesn't.
    Sounds like and advertisement to me.:huh:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

My doctor said " The garbage is already on the back porch, no need to get it to the curb any faster!"

I LOVE that quote!!

After teaching about renal physiology, I realized just how amazing we are at filtering. The kidney's dont' just filter--they monitor what is in the blood, how much of it there is, and how much we need. They also monitor blood pressure and cause certain physiological changes in response to changes in BP and hydration levels. It's all closely connected. In the kidneys, not only bad stuff is removed, but good stuff is reabsorbed. They are very complex and I fail to see how anything could 'detox' a kidney considering it's just a dense collection of tubes and capillaries with surrounding tissue that doesn't come into contact with the fluid.

*huff*
  • arewethereyet
    Options

I LOVE that quote!!

After teaching about renal physiology, I realized just how amazing we are at filtering. The kidney's dont' just filter--they monitor what is in the blood, how much of it there is, and how much we need. They also monitor blood pressure and cause certain physiological changes in response to changes in BP and hydration levels. It's all closely connected. In the kidneys, not only bad stuff is removed, but good stuff is reabsorbed. They are very complex and I fail to see how anything could 'detox' a kidney considering it's just a dense collection of tubes and capillaries with surrounding tissue that doesn't come into contact with the fluid.

*huff*
    You just crack me up! I love your spunk and insights as well as your educated responses.

With no professional background, but many MANY years of living and learning, I feel the cleanses are a waste of money. Money to be getter spent on a case of water, some vitamin supps and wheat germ to put on your cereal or yogurt.

Want a flush?? Drink a 24 oz glass of water, eat 8 oz of low fat yogurt with 3 tablespoons of whole wheat germ. Drink 24 oz of wter an hour later. And make sure you are near a bathroom!!

It is the same effect drinking alcohol has on my system. I over drink, wake up with a very bad tummy ache, uh...poo....all day, drink a bunch of water due to dehydration, poo some more....wake up the next day 5 pounds lighter. OF course I am, I am dehydrated and there is nothing in my system and there SHOULD be!

My husband actually bought a flush for $50 and said it did nothing.
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Green Curry with Shrimp, accompanied by fried rice... colon cleanse every time, and much tastier too!:drinker:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Green Curry with Shrimp, accompanied by fried rice... colon cleanse every time, and much tastier too!:drinker:

A McDonald's Big Mac works for me. :bigsmile:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

A McDonald's Big Mac works for me. :bigsmile:
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I've actually taken my daughter to McDonald's before when she was backed up. 100% guarantee every time.
  • dietracker
    dietracker Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sorry. I was just typing and not thinking about the organs directly. The organs that benefit from such a cleanse are the kidneys, liver, and large and small intestines. Im not trying to advertise anything, I dont sell the stuff. It worked for me. Purification, also known as detoxification, can help you remove natural toxins from your body and help maintain a healthy weight. We are exposed to external toxins everyday, including pollutants, pestisides, and chemicals. Internally our bodies produce waste byproducts as a result of normal metabolic function. Although your body is designed to rid itself of these toxins naturally, it can become overburdened. Purification offers your body ((additional support.))

But go for the Big Mac if thats what you want.
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    "My doctor said " The garbage is already on the back porch, no need to get it to the curb any faster!""

Ah, AWTY, such a beautiful way with words. heheheh