A fruit is a fruit is a fruit!

Options
124»

Replies

• elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I was once served a fruit salad with sweetcorn in it. 30 years ago and I still remember it.

By the way, my daughter tried prawns (not a fruit) 10 times before she liked it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I so wish there was a way to see QI over here. Or... to clarify... that I knew of a way to watch it.

DVD ?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My brother-in-law didn't like fish as a child- was refusing to eat fish that his mother made for dinner one night and his dad said- too bad eat it anyway, etc. Well he was allergic to fish and ended up in a coma in the hospital for three days. Sometimes if a kid says he doesn't like something there is a good reason for it- and my father-in-law never made any of his kids eat anything they didn't like ever again.

A friend once told me how her little brother adopted a fish head...carried it everywhere, even took it to bed with him and slept with it under his pillow, he simply wouldn't be parted with it .. after a few days they had to remove it whilst he slept and they left some money instead .. the lesser known fish fairy approach

made me LOL
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    RodaRose wrote: »
    I believe that quinoa is botanically a fruit.

I heard that it's actually rodent droppings .. no lie .. well mebbe a little lie .. well mebbe I just completely made that up .. cos keenwahhhhhhhh .. bleurgh .. anyhooo it's MFP, made-up stuff rulez

Can't stop laughing!!!!!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Wow I'm in jail and I don't know why. Question to mods: Shouldn't I have been warned?
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I've been known to use allergy to describe my intolerance and to be fair the only difference is I get a migraine on top of dangerous allergy like symptoms, throat swelling itchy rash etc. But it's the only way I can describe it and have people understand why I won't eat your lovely jello mold, the hotdogs at the cookout, or have that drink even tho everyone knows I adore strawberry flavored anything.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    There is something called "Oral Allergy Syndrome", which is based on seasonal allergies and how the body processes the fruit like a pollen.

http://acaai.org/allergies/types/food-allergies/types-food-allergy/oral-allergy-syndrome
    Yep, this. It is possible. You're not allergic to the specific fruit, per se, but rather you are allergic to the pollen. My husband has this. He pretty much can't eat any fresh produce without his throat swelling, but can eat a number of items after they have been cooked to death. It's a shame because there are so many raw fruits he loves.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I tell people at restaurants, sometimes, that I'm allergic to all meats. I'm pretty sure that they know I'm lying, but telling them I'm a vegetarian doesn't seem to work at certain places. It saves me the trouble of puking out both ends.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Ecx
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    A general rule of thumb is if it has seeds or a pit inside of it, it's a fruit.

Except for strawberries. (I think.)

Slightly off topic but, I've heard a strawberry isn't really a berry. But a banana is. Banana trees aren't trees either; they're the world's largest something or other. And pineapples are also berries - lots of individual berries, fused together. Weird.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around a pickle being a fruit; I just can't see it :)

Yup, botanically strawberries are not berries, but oranges are!
  • get_rucked
    get_rucked Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Former Irish rugby international and all-round legend Brian O'Driscoll on tomatoes...

https://youtu.be/kpLd-Vi8qZA