Drive Thru fast Food Addiction

Options
13»

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I challenge you to do this test: Get your 550 calorie drive-thru sandwich and eat it while driving. An hour later, rate how full and satisfied you are on a 1-10 scale. The next day, in your own kitchen, make a 550 calorie meal that requires you to pull out multiple components from the frig and pantry, clean/prep some produce, assemble it into a meal (preferably a fork meal) and sit at a table and eat it without tv or computer or talking. Then rate your satiety.

It's proven that the more interaction you have with your food over the whole process, the more full and satisfied it leaves you. Drive-thru food is probably the least 'interactive' food possible, short of an IV or canned shakes drank in the car.

Also, put your purse or wallet in the trunk while you drive, if drive-thrus are a problem. :happy:
  • beachgirl172723
    beachgirl172723 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You have a lot of great advice on this thread. Great question you asked as you learn new habits in this new part of your life. I love fast food and try to stay away most of the time because I don't like eating so many cals only to still be so hungry. It's the one food I can't estimate by feel of how full I am. But if I have a burger and fries or biscuits from a real restaurant or home, then I'm full. There is definitely something different added to the fast food items encouraging craving more.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Habit is a much better choice of word than addiction (which IMO is overused). Replace the habit with preparing your meal ahead of time and you can avoid the fast food. I see nothing wrong with fast food, I'm just not willing to use half or a third of my daily caloric allotment on one meal, especially one that is loaded withy sodium that will make me retain water. It's kind of like drinking my calories. I want food.
  • BebePalmer
    BebePalmer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    JennyToy wrote: »
    I do believe fast food can be addicting. I bought many a mcchicken when I wasn't hungry in the least. I just wanted to have a party in my mouth. I am *not* saying this is true for everyone, but for me, the more I eat fast food, the more I want it. Maybe they scientifically study some people and their taste buds (ie, they have a good balance of fats and sugar that keep me going back for more). Maybe it's something in my genetics that not everyone has. But fast food is addicting for me and that's why I don't go anymore. I know there are healthier options at most fast food places and I know sometimes people use it for time & schedule purposes-but for me personally, it will lead to more consumption. I just think everyone is different in this area.

I am right there, I can have all the good intentions in the world, but end up binge eating till I am miserable. This is something I am starting to address. I have never really mentioned it before, but it is time for honesty or the scale will never move.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    So even though going today might not have an effect on the bottom line, does it set me up for failure later on, because today I just reinforced this "habit"?

Well, it depends but it certainly can do depending on the circumstances.

Our minds are said to have two systems in making decisions: System 1 is fast, instinctive and emotional and generally governs decisions that seemingly get made automatically and unconsciously. System 2 is slower, more rational and deliberate but is far more energy intensive. Human beings tend to need to conserve energy and make quick decisions for survival and so we prefer to allow System 1 to make most of the choices on how we act.

Fast food is designed to be hyper palatable and rewards us with a heightened pleasurable experience. This helps anchor in place behaviour which can become compulsive over time and not generally in our interest (over eating.) The more we do it the more the behaviour becomes reinforced and the more likely it will be repeated. So, for example if we create an association between the pleasure of eating fast food to overcome feelings of stress or boredom and keep repeating that action the more likely it is that it will become a compulsion which is ruled by System 1 which does most of our "thinking". That is why many people will say "Why can't I (or in reality their System 2 rational mind) control my eating?". It is because System 1 is generally more powerful.

The good thing though is you can use System 2 to deliberately put in place behaviours which over write the neural connections and associations created by System 1 (they never go away though but get layered over) which through repetition creates better outcomes.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I don't know, OP, because I'm not you.

For me, never having a Timbit or peanut buster parfait or Ziggy Peelgoods fries for the rest of my life (30-40 years) will make those years pretty damned sad. I decided that when I had trusted "experts" telling me to stop eating "bad" carbs that life without donuts isn't worth living.

Oh man, Timbits. I love them so much. I got a Timmie's coffee today (Black w/sugar free vanilla syrup) and I was soooo tempted to get Timbits, and then I reminded myself that they're like 60 calories EACH.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    BebePalmer wrote: »
    JennyToy wrote: »
    I do believe fast food can be addicting. I bought many a mcchicken when I wasn't hungry in the least. I just wanted to have a party in my mouth. I am *not* saying this is true for everyone, but for me, the more I eat fast food, the more I want it. Maybe they scientifically study some people and their taste buds (ie, they have a good balance of fats and sugar that keep me going back for more). Maybe it's something in my genetics that not everyone has. But fast food is addicting for me and that's why I don't go anymore. I know there are healthier options at most fast food places and I know sometimes people use it for time & schedule purposes-but for me personally, it will lead to more consumption. I just think everyone is different in this area.

I am right there, I can have all the good intentions in the world, but end up binge eating till I am miserable. This is something I am starting to address. I have never really mentioned it before, but it is time for honesty or the scale will never move.

Hi @BebePalmer, welcome to the forums.

"Binge" is used two different ways here and I am not sure which you mean. If you have clinical Binge Eating Disorder, you may want to get professional help for it. There are other posters here with BED.

What helps me to not make food choices I will later regret is to not allow myself to get too hungry and to eat fullness enhancing foods like protein, fat, and veggies.

Also yoga:

How Yoga Can Help End Binge Eating

One breath at a time, end the suffering of binge-eating

...According to Juliano, yoga gives people the skills to stay with what they are feeling, rather than turning to food to escape. People who are obese or suffering from eating disorders have a tendency to dissociate from their bodies -- to choose not to feel what they are feeling when they are angry, anxious, or sad. Often, they turn to food to numb themselves. "There's this sense that I have to feel better right now, " Juliano says. "There is a complete intolerance of what is happening right now." This need to escape unpleasant feelings triggers a binge.

When you eat to escape what you are feeling, you lose touch with the experience of eating, as well. This is one reason binges can spiral out of control. "You have no understanding that you are full, way past full, into uncomfortable, because you're so out of it," Juliano explains. "You have no connection to what you're eating. You're eating a pint of ice cream and can't even taste it. Or you go to make yourself some toast and before you know it, half the loaf is gone."

Mindful yoga directly challenges the habit of dissociating from your body and your present-moment experience. "The whole point of yoga is to stay connected to your body. You learn it through practice, through breathing, and through breathing through the sensations."

Read more: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-science-willpower/201007/how-yoga-can-help-end-binge-eating
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    This post has helped me to realize that if I start the day with a fast food breakfast sandwich, I'll likely have other less ideal food choices throughout the day. Some ideas to break the drive thru habit. Rather than the mind set of avoid, and break the bad habits, try to just replace that with 'good habits'; if its the drive thru factor- could you walk or bike where you need to go? Get out of the car. Pack more convenient healthy snacks like veggies or nuts for the hungry times on the go.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Original post is from September.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ive lost 50 pounds eating fast food, restaurant food, and the same foods ive been eating my whole life.

i just eat much smaller portions. I have an EXTREMELY busy life.... if my family wants to eat something other than cereal, it's going to be something convenient and fast. And thats the story several nights a week. not to mention the crazy old man who lives with us is pickier than a 4 year old and pretty much ONLY eats fast food or junk food. (dont even get me started.....)

Now, gorging on fast food and not being mindful of what or how much you are eating, and eating massive amounts the rest of the day is a recipe for disaster (and how i got to where i was)... but solution is easy. eat less. move more. do it every day. boom. done.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    It is not nor will ever be an addiction. People over use the term addiction as a means to excuse themselves from taking responsibility and to feel better about themselves. At the most it's a habit albeit deeply entrenched one. Nothing will ever set you up for failure unless you believe it, please don't.

Changing a habit is hard and despite being in agreement with the IIFYM/flexible dieting crowd at this stage in developing a doable lifestyle for myself, I have no doubt that jumping on the all healthy foods eating kick when I first started the weight loss journey helped a great deal. It allowed me to add back in slowly plus I didn't feel guilty when having family get togethers.

If you have an interest in learning more about habits and how to change might I suggest reading The Power of Habit: Why We do What We Do in Life and Business - Charles Duhigg. Thoroughly enjoyed this book and try to come back to using a feedback loop to check some of my less desirable habits.

+1. Great book!

Habit =\= addiction

Habits can be strong, but you can change them if you work on it.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I go like 2 or 3x a week, but I've got rules. #1 no drive through. If you really want it, you'll want it bad enough to park and go in. When there's a line in the drive through, it can even be faster! And #2 I only eat fast food for dinner - it keeps breakfast and lunch light and healthy and planned out so I can fit in what I'm craving for dinner. No surprises at the end of the day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Some people don't change their habits. They just adjust their portions. It works for them.

My advice is to quit the fast food. Go cold turkey. Just stop that. It's not the hardest habit to break.

Eating at home is less tragic than it will seem the first week. :)

so one would not over eat at home, really?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - I am going to be blunt, you are not addicted to fast food. Lack of willpower does not = equal addiction.

I would also agree with what sidesteel said.
  • Jorggeeeee90
    Jorggeeeee90 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Its just a way of life for some people. Some people are really accustomed to get fast food daily. I started doing this when i met my fiancee since she has always had that habit. It took me a while to stop resorting to fast food but its possible. I find that its a lot easier to avoid fast food and wait till i get home if i have a snack in between meals. Another alternative is to adjust portion sizes and what you get. For example, you could try getting a grilled chicken wrap and a yogurt parfait instead of a large combo. Good luck.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Its just a way of life for some people. Some people are really accustomed to get fast food daily. I started doing this when i met my fiancee since she has always had that habit. It took me a while to stop resorting to fast food but its possible. I find that its a lot easier to avoid fast food and wait till i get home if i have a snack in between meals. Another alternative is to adjust portion sizes and what you get. For example, you could try getting a grilled chicken wrap and a yogurt parfait instead of a large combo. Good luck.

there are plenty of healthy options at fast food places = grilled chicken, salads, sub out french fries, etc…just because one chooses the calorie dense option does not make said place bad…

personal responsibility plays a large role.
  • Jossies01
    Jossies01 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I don't buy fast food anymore (or maybe once in a blue moon and i'm very particular about where I buy it) ever since I smelt what Hungry Jacks food poisoning vomit smells like.... :s
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Fast food drive-thru is a little urban adventure that seems to brighten our lives. It's easy to get attached to it, like a like of not necessarily good habits.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I watched the biggest loser the other day and they got the contestants to buy thier favourite fast food and 'test' themselves on it. What one guy said really stood out. He smelt the food and nibbled a bit and said

"I still want it, i guess I'm not fixed yet!" What?. Are they teaching them that skinny people walk around all day unaffected by junk food temptations, that they magical people who dislike treats and one day they will be 'fixed' and be like them?

What they should have told him is that this food is deisgned to be super-yummy- it's called "hyper-palatable" and will appeal to most humans as it hits all the trigger spots- sugar, salt, umami, fat etc.

They should be teaching them that it's okay to like the food - but not okay to regularly binge on it- and give them coping strategies.

The other point I noted was the cheap price of junk in the US and the enormous portion sizes. The box of cheese fries would last me 3 substantial meals! (with a few veggies for flavour)
  • sianlr87
    sianlr87 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    When I am feeling low stress and low anxiety in my life, I really don't even notice fast food places. When I'm in times of mega stress they are all I can see as I drive down the road.

Similarly, when I worked in a VERY stressful position in the past I would stop by McDonald's AND/OR Starbucks on my way home from work...I felt propelled to do so almost daily, until I identified that issue and then gradually stopped.

This is completely me. Eating was always (and still is sometimes) a way of dealing with stress. If I felt down or upset I would look for something like a burger or a pizza or another kind of take away/fast food.

The way I've taught myself to step away from the food is by trying to do focus on other things, like writing in a diary, or going for a walk. I still have days where I feel the need to binge on a pizza (usually a whole pizza) and if I do, then so be it. I'll just get back to it the next day. Punishing myself only made it worse.