Why is it so hard for me to loose wait but not --> them? Help pls!

Options
123457»

Replies

• TheLittleGingerDoesWeightLoss
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you aren't feeling inspired, then drop these groups. If they are dropping 10lbs a week and they aren't tremendously heavy then they are doing it the unhealthy way.

I firmly believe, with how we are surrounded by social media, that we should make sure our feeds reflect what we want. Happy healthy humans doing right in their lives that you can apply to yours. But I quickly found, through Pinterest and Instagram particularly, that the #fitspo crap was quickly become an unhealthy obsession equivalent to when girls used to pine away at magazines looking to be like those skinny models. I found I was comparing myself to that girl cutely posed with her water bottle to show off her thigh gap. Nah bro, I ain't got that body type. So why am I going to immerse myself in media that I can't achieve? It isn't worth the energy and half those pictures aren't real anyways.

Surround yourself with people and things that reflect what you want to achieve.

Also evaluate your nutrition. If you aren't seeing results, always evaluate the numbers.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    And if any musclehead guy comes in and tells you to "recomp," I will kick them in the shins for you. A lot of the guys have no frame of reference for the weights of smaller women.

so anyone recommending a recomp is a "musclehead"??

As OP is probably new to lifting, she would probably benefit from a heavy lifting program with some nice newbie gains and eating at, or below, maintenance.

I am not sure why you would knock that.

Anyone who would suggest a woman who is overweight according to BMI at her height shouldn't lose weight is generally a guy who loves lifting and thinks that everyone else should lift and GROSSLY overestimates what it does to smaller women.

I'm totally not against lifting. I love lifting when my joints can handle it. But if she chooses to lift, she needs to still eat a deficit at her current weight.

She's probably mis-logging, but her BMR is under 1200 calories. So if she's sedentary, her TDEE is likely to be 1400 calories or so. You can mis-log 200 cals VERY easily.

BMi is a garbage stat because it does not account for muscle mass.

My BMI is "overweight" but I run about 13-15% body fat ….

I fail to understand how a recomp may not help OP ..as she appears to be just crash dieting and spinning her wheels…

but since you have all the answers, I will bow out...

You're an athletic man, for whom BMI is a poor measure.

We're out of shape chicks, for whom it's ideal.

Zuzska Light is 5'5" and 122lbs. Even that level of build/leanness is unrealistic for the typical woman who works out 2.5 hours a week.

SHE IS NOT CRASH DIETING. Her BMR is in the 1100s! Above BMR is NOT a crash diet!
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

majigurl wrote: »
    faithyang wrote: »

AWW! *hugs*

I feel you girl.

When I first started I was exactly like that. A girlfriend of mine was at a clothing store and I saw her slip into a nice size 10 jacket, while I could only fit in a size 14. It was so demoralising. I kept looking at her size 10 jacket and felt so bad for myself at how she could literally lose weight so quickly and everything etc etc.

But then I realised that all of us are different, y'know? We all go through different phases in our lives and that includes our body and its workings. Things as random as stress and not enough sleep which may sometimes be out of our control (we can't exercise or count cal on stress/sleep! :wink: ) can cause us to gain MORE fat. There's also genetics and metabolism.

Its an overall, holistic thing which we can TRY to control and guide but not in a mechanical way! So some people may just be losing MORE weight because of the above factors. Plus you have no idea what they are doing OUTSIDE of their company with you - maybe they are low/no-carb? Maybe they exercise or move around alot more? Maybe...you get my point?

Your journey sounds alot like mine, but your weight loss seems quite stable! Keep plugging away at it. Don't compare your journey to others because everyone's life and circumstances are different. What matters is you doing it FOR YOURSELF at a pace which you know you can sustain in a healthy way.

Don't end up obsessing over these things and ending up with an unhealthy relationship with weight loss and food. Its not a race, competition or a test. Its a lifestyle you will have plenty of time to tweak so long as you keep a positive mindset and keep it sustainable.

My best advice to you is that fitness and health is not only the calories you burn or the number on the scale, but a right and healthy balance of a combination of mind, body, spirit which will take you far far longer and keep the weight off without you depriving yourself or harming yourself.

Good luck! :smiley:

Thank you!
    I'm sorry to hear you have had that moment of dread when you see others slipping into clothes you wish you could :( I hear you!

it can be so hard when the process takes so long! I'm trying to just enjoy. I only do workouts I love doing. I hated running, so I cut that out lol. wasn't my thing.. refuse to eat or do workouts I don't like doing or else I'm just going to fail.

usually I don't obsess.. some days, it over takes me a little though... oops.

and you are so right.. it's not just about calories and the scale.. *hugs* thank you!! and good luck to you also!!

Thanks gurl! :blush:

I know! But you sound like you're on a right track doing what you love and not forcing yourself to do things you hate!! :smiley:

Thanks for the well-wishes and thanks for sharing! :smile:
  • raregem99
    raregem99 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    the one that had to correct my grammar. .I didn't even read beyond you correct me. I didn't ask for an English lesson, I asked for advice on weight loss. I'm French and I think I do darn well in English to be well enough understood, thank you.
    Sorry, but that was asinine of you. Just because you CAN correct someone and possibly make them feel stupid, doesn't mean you should. (sorry)

Shame you couldn't see past the correction, she was encouraging you to keep at it.

I can be a jerk sometimes lol. I know I will get 100% encouragement without the shaming, so I don't worry too much about it. MFP has SOOO many amazing peeps on it that I don't feel I'm missing out if I refuse any negativity. :)
    Funny thing about that? Your response was WAY more negative than hers.

True, but I tend to agree that just because you can correct someone doesn't mean you should... as OP mentioned, she's not an idiot who can't spell, she's bilingual, and quite adept at English I might add.

OP, please take the good advice of those here. I'll just add, have you ever heard of an expression, 'a watched pot never boils?' Maybe divert your attention from being so weight loss conscious and it might help you pass the time easier haha
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    And if any musclehead guy comes in and tells you to "recomp," I will kick them in the shins for you. A lot of the guys have no frame of reference for the weights of smaller women.

As OP is probably new to lifting, she would probably benefit from a heavy lifting program with some nice newbie gains and eating at, or below, maintenance.

Anyone who would suggest a woman who is overweight according to BMI at her height shouldn't lose weight is generally a guy who loves lifting and thinks that everyone else should lift and GROSSLY overestimates what it does to smaller women.

I'm totally not against lifting. I love lifting when my joints can handle it. But if she chooses to lift, she needs to still eat a deficit at her current weight.

She's probably mis-logging, but her BMR is under 1200 calories. So if she's sedentary, her TDEE is likely to be 1400 calories or so. You can mis-log 200 cals VERY easily.

I fail to understand how a recomp may not help OP ..as she appears to be just crash dieting and spinning her wheels…

Zuzska Light is 5'5" and 122lbs. Even that level of build/leanness is unrealistic for the typical woman who works out 2.5 hours a week.

SHE IS NOT CRASH DIETING. Her BMR is in the 1100s! Above BMR is NOT a crash diet!

Did you even read this thread? She said she has been eating 1200 calories, sometimes lower, on and off for six years along with binging on certain foods. That is the classic definition of crash dieting.

And as everyone has some muscle mass and BMI does not take it into account then it is a garbage stat.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE is 1390, so if your eating at 1200, your weekly deficit is only enough to lose ~ 0.4 lbs. Anything more than that has to come from exercise expendatures.

Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 91.6 lbs - 123.8 lbs, so you are already lean, your loss rate is not going to be significant even at a deficit .... you don't have it to lose.

If your issue is more of a composition one ( want to be firmer or more defined ), then stick with ( or possibly increase ) your strength training, and lower your cardio. Excessive cardio can actually slow muscle gain.

With the amount of exercise you are doing, you need to increase your calorie intake, to fuel those workouts.

You may be over training, which can lead to excess water retention, which is necessary for recovery. Try giving yourself 2 days a week with no structured exercise activities.

And lastly, just remember that its your journey. Everyone is different, and the path you have to take wont necessarily match the paths others have. It sounds like your doing it all the right way, you just have to stay motivated, and not feel discouraged from comparing yourself to others.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Did you even read this thread? She said she has been eating 1200 calories, sometimes lower, on and off for six years along with binging on certain foods. That is the classic definition of crash dieting.

And as everyone has some muscle mass and BMI does not take it into account then it is a garbage stat.

*SMH*

1) She's certainly mismeasuring her total intake. She's been guessing.

2) BMI is INCREDIBLY GENEROUS to non-athletic women. Above 30% body fat is over-fat--generally considered "obese" by BF percentage.

BMI is a very good indicator of risk for all but the highly athletic. That does NOT make it a garbage statistic for more than 90% of the population. And for probably 98% of women! How many women do you think lift heavy enough to gain typical weights of muscle? It's nowhere near even 5%.

A typical adult woman's body fat can be predicted pretty well from BMI: BMI*1.2+.23*age - 5.4. This has been studied to be within a fairly small margin or error for the general population.

So let's look at some BMIs, shall we?

24.9, age 20: 29.8%
    24.9, age 35: 32.53%
    24.9, age 50: 35.98%

22, age 20: 25.6%
    22, age 35: 29.05%
    22, age 50: 32.5%

20, age 20: 23.2%
    20, age 35: 26.65%
    20, age 50: 30.01%

Only a VERY young woman or a woman with markedly lower BF than is typical--meaning someone who lifts serious weights--isn't obese by a BF% at the highest levels of BMI.

And an older woman must be below a BMI of 20 or else work to build muscle to be not obese by BF%!