1 cup is how many grams ??

Comment please

Replies

• molnardrea
    molnardrea Posts: 78 Member
    Depends what is is. One cup of wet sand is heavier than one cup of popcorn.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Errrr. Okay.

Depends what you put in the cup. This is why a food scale is usually recommended over cup measurements: 1 cup of sugar is a very different weight from 1 cup of rice krispies.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    One is a volumetric measurement, one is a mass measurement. They do not convert.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    One is a volumetric measurement, one is a mass measurement. They do not convert.

This.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Depends on the food and its density (mass divided by volume). A cup of a more dense food, such a peanut butter (258g), will weigh more than a cup of less dense food, such as spinach (30g).
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    This is by far the best reference site for cup volumetric to grams I have ever found and bookmarked.
    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipe/master-weight-chart.html
  • QueenKristine77
    QueenKristine77 Posts: 67 Member
    it all depends what your measuring/weighing
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Nice reference site, CyberTone. I've bookmarked it too because it would be practical if I'm ever marooned somewhere without a food scale. Still, I'd prefer to weigh things whenever I can.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    I get why people are saying there is no conversion, but I also get why the questions is being asked as I had this dilemma the other day. I was measuring out a serving of Hamburger Helper (yes, I like that stuff...but I use ground turkey instead) and the MFP database only had an entry w/ 1 cup cooked as the measurement (It was either that or the 1 container measurement and I wasn't eating 1 container). I had already thrown out the box so I didn't know what the box said as far as grams. So I had to go by the cup measurement. So the problem became how do I measure it w/ a cup? Do I pack it all in there so that it fills the entire space? Do I let it fall loosely in there as it may and not make up for the spaces? Do I measure it on a scale and wait until it hits 8oz (a cup)? I wound up just measuring a loosely/packed amount that was roughly 6oz just because it looked like enough but not too much to fill me up. I wasn't too worried about it because I still had plenty of calories to spare if my measurement was off!

So based on this it does lead me to a question... how should I have measured it?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    I get why people are saying there is no conversion, but I also get why the questions is being asked as I had this dilemma the other day. I was measuring out a serving of Hamburger Helper (yes, I like that stuff...but I use ground turkey instead) and the MFP database only had an entry w/ 1 cup cooked as the measurement (It was either that or the 1 container measurement and I wasn't eating 1 container). I had already thrown out the box so I didn't know what the box said as far as grams. So I had to go by the cup measurement. So the problem became how do I measure it w/ a cup? Do I pack it all in there so that it fills the entire space? Do I let it fall loosely in there as it may and not make up for the spaces? Do I measure it on a scale and wait until it hits 8oz (a cup)? I wound up just measuring a loosely/packed amount that was roughly 6oz just because it looked like enough but not too much to fill me up. I wasn't too worried about it because I still had plenty of calories to spare if my measurement was off!

So based on this it does lead me to a question... how should I have measured it?

There are more entries that use grams- far more accurate than cups. Keep looking through the entries until you find out with grams and then use a food scale to measure.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Troutsy wrote: »

There are more entries that use grams- far more accurate than cups. Keep looking through the entries until you find out with grams and then use a food scale to measure.

I did... I looked at least 7... they were all the same. If you find one that is different let me know. The Hamburger Helper I ate was Philly Cheese Steak... So unless maybe there is generic one for Hamburger Helper... which I didn't think to check, there would have been nothing to help me in my scenario.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member

I did... I looked at least 7... they were all the same. If you find one that is different let me know. The Hamburger Helper I ate was Philly Cheese Steak... So unless maybe there is generic one for Hamburger Helper... which I didn't think to check, there would have been nothing to help me in my scenario.

I've had this instance come up, too. In that case, I use a measuring cup but I let it fall loosely (don't pack it in).
  • DoreenaV1975
    Yes that's basically what I did. Luckily, like I said, I had calories to spare so I was good either way. But my OCD went thru the roof when I couldn't measure it correctly, LOL! Next time I will make sure to write the gram info from the box down JIC!
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Related question: say you didn't get a change to weigh rice prior to cooking it (someone else cooked it, or you just forgot). How do you measure it after it is already cooked since the grams are for the dry/uncooked version? The box only gives a measuring cup amount for cooked rice (which is what I had to use last night--loosely packed).
  • Azexas
    edited July 2015

In that circumstance I would have made a new recipe on the data base and weighed everything in grams. Also- the Enchilada one has the grams in the title. It's not the same but gives you a rough idea of the grams.
  • DoreenaV1975

In that circumstance I would have made a new recipe on the data base and weighed everything in grams. Also- the Enchilada one has the grams in the title.

Do you mean weigh it as I cooked it? Because the reason I had this problem was the next day after I cooked it is when I actually went to eat it, and I had already thrown the box away. I had cooked it the night before in advance, not thinking about the fact that I would need the info on box to measure. I have taken for granted that MFP would have the correct measurement... I know... I shouldn't have! But I did... so then I was in a OCD panic! LOL! I've learned from it, but I was still wondering what people did in the same scenario, just because I was sure others had experienced it and I was still curious.

BTW thank you for the info.
  • Azexas
    You can also look up nutrition labels online when you throw the box away- trust me I do it ALL the time lol
  • DoreenaV1975
    You can also look up nutrition labels online when you throw the box away- trust me I do it ALL the time lol

Oh yeah...duh! Damn, why didn't I think of that. I have actually done that before! Ugh! My OCD panic must have been too much for my brain to remember that! Hahahahahaha! Thanks again!
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    I just realized that on some of the database listings that come up in cup -sometimes you can just change the serving size in the drop down box to grams.
  • DoreenaV1975
    jaga13 wrote: »
    Related question: say you didn't get a change to weigh rice prior to cooking it (someone else cooked it, or you just forgot). How do you measure it after it is already cooked since the grams are for the dry/uncooked version? The box only gives a measuring cup amount for cooked rice (which is what I had to use last night--loosely packed).

Does this help you?
    http://www.cooksinfo.com/rice

TBH I didn't actually read it I just glanced at it but it looked legit, LOL!