Options
2»

Replies

• DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    I just realized that on some of the database listings that come up in cup -sometimes you can just change the serving size in the drop down box to grams.

Yup! But not in the case of my Hamburger Helper situation!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    There are a few sites that have foods listed by ounces and grams and then by cooked, uncooked, grilled, etc. CalorieKing is one of them. I just use them when I have to.

For example http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-rice-long-grain-white-rice-cooked-without-salt_f-ZmlkPTY0NjMw.html
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Nice reference site, CyberTone. I've bookmarked it too because it would be practical if I'm ever marooned somewhere without a food scale. Still, I'd prefer to weigh things whenever I can.
    I am going to use it for when the stupid database doesn't have an entry in grams for something I want to eat.
  • jasminerz2015
    jasminerz2015 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    This is by far the best reference site for cup volumetric to grams I have ever found and bookmarked.
    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipe/master-weight-chart.html

Thanx for sharing with us .. god bless
  • z_vette
    z_vette Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    This is by far the best reference site for cup volumetric to grams I have ever found and bookmarked.
    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipe/master-weight-chart.html

Wow, this will be very helpful. Thank you for sharing!
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Do I measure it on a scale and wait until it hits 8oz (a cup)?
    That wouldn't work.

Fluid ounces are volume, ounces are mass. 8 fl oz of water (1 cup) weighs 8.35 oz. Hamburger Helper has a different density from water so it has a different weight for the same 8 fl oz of volume.
  • thstarfish316
    thstarfish316 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I do not know why so many nutritional things are posted in grams when that does not convert to volume. Makes it more difficult than it needs to be
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I do not know why so many nutritional things are posted in grams when that does not convert to volume. Makes it more difficult than it needs to be

Because grams can be weighed on a scale and measured precisely. A "cup" of cauliflower will vary greatly based on how finely it was chopped up.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    It's easier, faster, and more accurate to weigh things. Plus, you don't have to clean a bunch of measuring cups. ;)
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    What irritates me about rice and pasta is that I *can't* measure it dry unless I cook my portion separate from the rest of the family's. So I'm always wildly guessing.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    That wouldn't work.

Fluid ounces are volume, ounces are mass. 8 fl oz of water (1 cup) weighs 8.35 oz. Hamburger Helper has a different density from water so it has a different weight for the same 8 fl oz of volume.

Yeah, I know, which is why I didn't go that route... I was just thinking of different scenarios... in other words pointing out why it was a dilemma for me...

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Angierae75 wrote: »
    What irritates me about rice and pasta is that I *can't* measure it dry unless I cook my portion separate from the rest of the family's. So I'm always wildly guessing.

One possible solutions:
    Weigh the dry batch
    Weigh the cooked batch, Divide cooked by dry weights. Multiply the dry serving weight by that number. That's your cooked serving weight.

Weigh your portion, divide by the cooked serving weight.

It sounds a little complex, but once you've done it a couple times it's actually pretty easy.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    That wouldn't work.

Yeah, I know, which is why I didn't go that route... I was just thinking of different scenarios... in other words pointing out why it was a dilemma for me...
    My response, now that I re-read it, came off kind of rude @seska422 ! My apologies and thank you for your input!
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options

Measure the entire batch dry and then measure the entire batch again cooked. Know the ratio of your portion dry to the entire batch and multiply this by the entire batch.

• michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    I get why people are saying there is no conversion, but I also get why the questions is being asked as I had this dilemma the other day. I was measuring out a serving of Hamburger Helper (yes, I like that stuff...but I use ground turkey instead) and the MFP database only had an entry w/ 1 cup cooked as the measurement (It was either that or the 1 container measurement and I wasn't eating 1 container). I had already thrown out the box so I didn't know what the box said as far as grams. So I had to go by the cup measurement. So the problem became how do I measure it w/ a cup? Do I pack it all in there so that it fills the entire space? Do I let it fall loosely in there as it may and not make up for the spaces? Do I measure it on a scale and wait until it hits 8oz (a cup)? I wound up just measuring a loosely/packed amount that was roughly 6oz just because it looked like enough but not too much to fill me up. I wasn't too worried about it because I still had plenty of calories to spare if my measurement was off!

So based on this it does lead me to a question... how should I have measured it?

There are more entries that use grams- far more accurate than cups. Keep looking through the entries until you find out with grams and then use a food scale to measure.

I did... I looked at least 7... they were all the same. If you find one that is different let me know. The Hamburger Helper I ate was Philly Cheese Steak... So unless maybe there is generic one for Hamburger Helper... which I didn't think to check, there would have been nothing to help me in my scenario.

I try to go to the website of whatever I'm eating if I'm not sure. they normally always have nutritional info in detail
  • vrokhfit
    vrokhfit Posts: 55 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I get why people are saying there is no conversion, but I also get why the questions is being asked as I had this dilemma the other day. I was measuring out a serving of Hamburger Helper (yes, I like that stuff...but I use ground turkey instead) and the MFP database only had an entry w/ 1 cup cooked as the measurement (It was either that or the 1 container measurement and I wasn't eating 1 container). I had already thrown out the box so I didn't know what the box said as far as grams. So I had to go by the cup measurement. So the problem became how do I measure it w/ a cup? Do I pack it all in there so that it fills the entire space? Do I let it fall loosely in there as it may and not make up for the spaces? Do I measure it on a scale and wait until it hits 8oz (a cup)? I wound up just measuring a loosely/packed amount that was roughly 6oz just because it looked like enough but not too much to fill me up. I wasn't too worried about it because I still had plenty of calories to spare if my measurement was off!

So based on this it does lead me to a question... how should I have measured it?

There are more entries that use grams- far more accurate than cups. Keep looking through the entries until you find out with grams and then use a food scale to measure.

I did... I looked at least 7... they were all the same. If you find one that is different let me know. The Hamburger Helper I ate was Philly Cheese Steak... So unless maybe there is generic one for Hamburger Helper... which I didn't think to check, there would have been nothing to help me in my scenario.

In that circumstance I would have made a new recipe on the data base and weighed everything in grams. Also- the Enchilada one has the grams in the title.

Do you mean weigh it as I cooked it? Because the reason I had this problem was the next day after I cooked it is when I actually went to eat it, and I had already thrown the box away. I had cooked it the night before in advance, not thinking about the fact that I would need the info on box to measure. I have taken for granted that MFP would have the correct measurement... I know... I shouldn't have! But I did... so then I was in a OCD panic! LOL! I've learned from it, but I was still wondering what people did in the same scenario, just because I was sure others had experienced it and I was still curious.

BTW thank you for the info.

So a lot of the time the box actually is giving the dry, unprepared weight of a serving.. So what I would have done in this situation is this:

Make a recipe using the "as packaged" info for the whole box and the amount of the other ingredients I used. This will give you the calorie count for the whole amount cooked.
    Find the total weight of the whole amount cooked.
    Divide the calorie count for the entire package by the number of grams it yielded. = calories per gram.
    Or, I'll do this: Total Calories / (Total weight/10) to get the calorie count per 10 grams. Since MFP rounds the numbers up. (If it was actually 1.7 calories per gram, MFP would say its 2 calories per gram and if you have 100 grams you're then counting 200 calories instead of 170.. I like my calories too much to waste them on rounding errors).

ETA: Use either the total number of grams OR the total grams/10 as the serving size. Then when you go to log how much you ate you just put in the quantity - grams eaten or grams eaten/10

I'm still pretty new to the weighing thing so if anyone has a simpler idea that I don't know about, please do let me know. :)

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Because grams is easier, faster, less containers to clean, more accurate, and far superior than "cups". How do you measure a cup of steak or a cup of broccoli? If it is ice cream can I use a heaping cup packed as tight as possible and when it is lima beans I'll leave it loosely packed with a little room at the top?
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    JohnBarth wrote: »

Measure the entire batch dry and then measure the entire batch again cooked. Know the ratio of your portion dry to the entire batch and multiply this by the entire batch.

Yes, this.

Also, if there are foods that you eat frequently and you use consistent cooking methods with them, you can get the ratio once and have it in the back of your mind in a pinch for the future. For example, for the brand and shape of pasta that my family typically eats, and for the amount of time we typically cook it, I know that 30g of dry pasta is about 65g of cooked pasta. It might be off by a couple of grams each time, but when we make that particular pasta I just use that formula to log it and figure it's going to be very close and it will even out in the long run.
  • DoreenaV1975
    edited July 2015
    Options
    icozaFB87 wrote: »

In that circumstance I would have made a new recipe on the data base and weighed everything in grams. Also- the Enchilada one has the grams in the title.

Do you mean weigh it as I cooked it? Because the reason I had this problem was the next day after I cooked it is when I actually went to eat it, and I had already thrown the box away. I had cooked it the night before in advance, not thinking about the fact that I would need the info on box to measure. I have taken for granted that MFP would have the correct measurement... I know... I shouldn't have! But I did... so then I was in a OCD panic! LOL! I've learned from it, but I was still wondering what people did in the same scenario, just because I was sure others had experienced it and I was still curious.

BTW thank you for the info.

So a lot of the time the box actually is giving the dry, unprepared weight of a serving.. So what I would have done in this situation is this:

Make a recipe using the "as packaged" info for the whole box and the amount of the other ingredients I used. This will give you the calorie count for the whole amount cooked.
    Find the total weight of the whole amount cooked.
    Divide the calorie count for the entire package by the number of grams it yielded. = calories per gram.
    Or, I'll do this: Total Calories / (Total weight/10) to get the calorie count per 10 grams. Since MFP rounds the numbers up. (If it was actually 1.7 calories per gram, MFP would say its 2 calories per gram and if you have 100 grams you're then counting 200 calories instead of 170.. I like my calories too much to waste them on rounding errors).

ETA: Use either the total number of grams OR the total grams/10 as the serving size. Then when you go to log how much you ate you just put in the quantity - grams eaten or grams eaten/10

I'm still pretty new to the weighing thing so if anyone has a simpler idea that I don't know about, please do let me know. :)

Surprisingly the Hamburger Helper box had 1 cup prepared as the measurements on the box. I'm sure next to that there was also a "grams" amount, but unfortunately I didn't pay attention to that!

EDITED: right after I posted this I went and checked for nutritional info online and this is what I found:

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 cup prepared

Amount Per Serving

Calories from Fat 120
    Calories 310

% Daily Values*
    Total Fat 13g 20%
    Saturated Fat 5g 25%
    Trans Fat 1g
    Cholesterol 55mg 18%
    Sodium 590mg 25%
    Total Carbohydrate 28g 9%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Sugars 4g
    Protein 20g

Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 0%

Calcium 8% Iron 10%

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

No grams (????)!!!
    So I guess keeping the box would NOT have helped me!
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    Related question: say you didn't get a change to weigh rice prior to cooking it (someone else cooked it, or you just forgot). How do you measure it after it is already cooked since the grams are for the dry/uncooked version? The box only gives a measuring cup amount for cooked rice (which is what I had to use last night--loosely packed).

Does this help you?
    http://www.cooksinfo.com/rice

TBH I didn't actually read it I just glanced at it but it looked legit, LOL!

Yes thank you!! It's saying cooked rice should weigh 3 times the amount of uncooked rice in grams (100g uncooked = 300g cooked). THANK YOU