Why does strength training seem so boring compared to cardio?

Options
1235»

Replies

• moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Please help me like the idea of strength training by giving me suggestions!

I have the opposite problem, I'd rather have teeth pulled than do cardio. Try using the 5x5 lift app, you'll be to physically exhausted to be bored.
  • rajnigandha21
    rajnigandha21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love cardio (I'm a runner) but what I love about my strength training is the burn the next day and the soreness - feelings of progress!

This.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Setting and breaking PRs -- grinding away until you make/break them -- is immensely satisfying. All you want is more and more.

This.

• northdog
    northdog Posts: 43 Member
    Options

I find it boring too. I don't like workouts where I'm surrounded by walls. I prefer to walk, hike, play tennis, ride my bike, etc. That said, I force myself to lift weights because I'm seeing benefits that I really like that I don't get from those activities.

I made it easy for myself by setting up a gym in my basement though. I commit 3-4 sessions a week and just do it. Sometimes that means I'm lifting in my pajamas.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i like cardio. i like strength training. it all has it's purpose.
  • _nice_
    _nice_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Have you ever done a pull up? Dead lifted your body weight? Leg pressed 300 lbs? Not boring. Be awesome.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Look up a programme called the new rules of lifting for women. Trust me. You'll not be bored.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »

But I know what you mean, I'd rather go for a long run or a cycle than do resistance work. For me resistance work is a means to an end, as it helps my running and cycling performance. Whilst that doesn't alleviate the boredom it provides some purpose for the session.

In total agreement. Strength training takes up maybe an hour a week for me, so I try to think positively about it - it's great for me, it helps me be a better runner, it has had an effect on my body composition. We can't enjoy every aspect of fitness all the time, so sometimes you just need to push yourself through it, and accept it as a necessary functional part of getting fitter.
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    This is a first. I don't think OP likes to challenge herself with exercise. I really cannot understand how lifting weights is boring. It's one of if not my favorite activity. I even tailor routines to allow for more lifting days in a week.

Different strokes for different folks. I don't enjoy resistance work, but I sure as hell enjoyed running 15K yesterday in what for England was a very hot day. That was challenging, but enjoyable, in a way lifting heavy weights wouldn't be for me, and sounds like it isn't for the OP either.

No kidding. I think more like this the nearer I get to 40. I would rather take a different approach than I have to right now (well right now i'm not doing anything at all), but injury prevention (and rehab) and health are starting to edge out over vanity. Finally.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I don't like strength training, but I don't mind routines that use weights - the Davina McCall DVDs have routines which use weights and strength exercises, but the music means they are not so boring! Just my view of course.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Interesting that many are essentially responding with the mere assertion that lifting isn't boring.

Essentially any session is about objectives. For some the prospect of spending an hour in the gym, twenty minutes of which is actual work and forty minutes is spent faffing about with the equipment, or standing about waiting to do some actual work is boring. If the objective is met, despite the tedium, then that's fine. Doesn't make it interesting, merely effective.

If I compare to what I do by preference, running. Not all sessions are enjoyable. 20Km through forestry and open countryside in good conditions is enjoyable. Wouldn't always say it's fun, but it's worth doing. 20km on pavement through London is a bit of a grind, but achieves the objectives. 10Km in driving rain in December isn't much more than an exercise in willpower.

In the same way as putting up with the 10Km through driving rain helps with the objectives of a PB in a 10Km trail race in the spring, putting up with a resistance session helps the objective. I guess in terms of priority the resistance training is still less enjoyable than the driving rain.

What makes it worth it, is crossing the finish line, without injury and in line with the race plan.

Of course the original thread title compares lifting with cardio, and I'd agree that doing CV work on a machine in a gym is very dull. Grinding out steady state and watching the numbers is purgatory.