For Asian Women 1200 calories are maintenance??!!

Options
I was talking to a person on other site and he stated that for Asian (not only China, Japan,Thailand but Whole Asia) people caloric needs differ from European,African continents and they are more prone to diabetes. He stated that for a sedate Asian women 1200 calories would be maintenance not deficit. And that's the cause for my slow loss as I am eating on maintenance most of the time!! I was speechless!! Can anyone relate to this?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You're talking to an idiot. Problem solved.
  • rajnigandha21
    rajnigandha21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    :D:D
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

@auddii speaks the truth. You are talking to an idiot.

Your BMR, TDEE etc are based off of your height, weight, age and gender.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    No.

If they are very sedentary and about 4'8" and slim, yes. Otherwise...just no!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    If you are losing weight, even if it's slow, you are not eating at maintenance.
  • rajnigandha21
    Options
    If you are losing weight, even if it's slow, you are not eating at maintenance.
    Happy to hear that!!
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    No.

If they are very sedentary and about 4'8" and slim, yes. Otherwise...just no!

True, could have been a really poor generalization about Asian women being petite and slim.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Not at all. I'm Asian, about 5'6", and I don't gain weight eating 1800 cal/day.
  • CaptBligh001
    CaptBligh001 Posts: 28 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

You should probably do a bit of research before making a statement like that

The person she talked to is far from an Idiot, On the other hand those claiming he is are a good example of how a little knowledge can be dangerous.. These people are operating under the false assumption that all humans have equally efficient digestive systems. Herein lays the problem with asking questions on forums that are best directed at Doctors and recognized Experts.

People unfamiliar with the subject tend to assume that if a food product contains a 100 calories that everyone who consumes it will extract 100 calories from that same food. This is not the case, people with inefficient digestive systems may only be able to extract 25 calories out of that food while people with very efficient digestive systems can extract the full 100 calories most people are someplace in between.

Ethnicity and ancestral geography seems to play a significant role in digestive system efficiency. For example African american women who recently had tribal ancestry generally have extremely efficient digestive systems. The men in these nomadic tribes for generations always ate first and received first choice of food and the women were last to eat so they evolved more efficient digestive systems so they could survive on less food.

When the ancestors of these Nomadic African tribes move to countries like the US where food is plentiful they suffer a higher rate of obesity.

There have been many studies done regarding this subject with the Germans and the Swiss leading the research. I have actually been a test subject in several clinical research studies examining digestive system efficiency. At the time researchers were very interested in me because I have an extremely efficient digestive system which can extract more caloric energy from proteins and carbohydrates then normal.

Anyhow women with Asian ancestry who for generations lived in poverty where food was scarce generally have a tendency to have a much more efficient digestive systems then women who's ancestors had access to plentiful sources of food..
  • rajnigandha21
    Options
    This person is far from an Idiot and those claiming he is are a good example of how a little knowledge can be dangerous.. These people are operating under the false assumption that all humans have equally efficient digestive systems.

People unfamiliar with the subject tend to assume that if a food product contains a 100 calories that everyone who consumes it will extract 100 calories from that same food. This is not the case, people with inefficient digestive systems may only be able to extract 25 calories out of that food while people with very efficient digestive systems can extract the full 100 calories most people are someplace in between.

Ethnicity and ancestral geography seems to play a significant role in digestive system efficiency. For example African american women who recently had tribal ancestry generally have extremely efficient digestive systems. The men in these nomadic tribes got first choice of food and the women were last to eat so they evolved more efficient digestive systems so they could survive on less food.

When the ancestors of these Nomadic African tribes move to countries like the US where food is plentiful they suffer a higher rate of obesity.

There have been many studies done regarding this subject with the Germans and the Swiss leading the research. I have actually been a test subject in several clinical research studies examining digestive system efficiency. At the time researchers were very interested in me because I have an extremely efficient digestive system which can extract more caloric energy from proteins and carbohydrates then normal.

Anyhow women with Asian ancestry who for generations lived in poverty where food was scarce generally have a tendency to have a much more efficient digestive systems then women who's ancestors had access to plentiful sources of food..

Some food for thought! Hmm.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options

The person she talked to is far from an Idiot, On the other hand those claiming he is are a good example of how a little knowledge can be dangerous.. These people are operating under the false assumption that all humans have equally efficient digestive systems. Herein lays the problem with asking questions on forums that are best directed at Doctors and recognized Experts.

Ethnicity and ancestral geography seems to play a significant role in digestive system efficiency. For example African american women who recently had tribal ancestry generally have extremely efficient digestive systems. The men in these nomadic tribes got first choice of food and the women were last to eat so they evolved more efficient digestive systems so they could survive on less food.

sources?
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options

^this.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I wish I could make popcorn in the work microwave without setting off all the alarms.
  • JudithNYC
    JudithNYC Posts: 80 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Do you have any published studies supporting this theory/findings? I did a quick googling and the only mention I find is in Paleo blogs and I am not taking the word of a blogger as gospel. I am not saying that it's not true, just that I would like to know more about this from reliable sources.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Ethnicity and ancestral geography seems to play a significant role in digestive system efficiency. For example African american women who recently had tribal ancestry generally have extremely efficient digestive systems. The men in these nomadic tribes for generations always ate first and received first choice of food and the women were last to eat so they evolved more efficient digestive systems so they could survive on less food.

So people of the same ethnicity need to eat the same amount of food regardless of differences in height, weight, or activity level?! Really?!

And in case there are any other comprehension issues, the person the OP was talking to stated that every female on an ENTIRE CONTINENT has the same caloric needs.
  • rajnigandha21
    Options
    Seriously I don't think so.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    5' 1" 132lbs South Pacific Islander here.

If I don't work out, my TDEE is approx. 1500cal. At my goal weight of 105lbs (a healthy 20~ BMI for my height - in fact, because I'm Asian it should be lower as my ethnic group is more susceptible to diabetes at lower BMIs than Westerners), I'd have a TDEE of approx. 1450cal.

If I were 4' 11" and 100lbs (BMI 20.2, BF at 20%) like my friend, my TDEE at a sedentary level would be approx 1380cal.

1200? No, you're right, a little more. But still low compared to what a lot of people here seem to think is "healthy".

Not to mention in a lot of Asian countries the "norm" is to be underweight, not even "normal" weight. Culturally, women aren't supposed to lift, either. Thin limbs and slender features rather than even "toned" features are what's considered attractive and normal.

So 1200cal could very well be a good maintenance level for a working Asian woman with a sedentary lifestyle who stands at 4' 11" at a low weight.

Plus, there's probably a lot of fatlogic in there, too - they probably eat more than 1200cal, but they think it's what they're eating. Ignorance goes in all directions.
  • CaptBligh001
    edited July 2015
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    sources?

It's been years since I was involved in this so I personally have noting to offer other then what I recall from memory. But I'm sure someone like you properly motivated could become an expert on the subject over night after all the research is easy enough to find, I'm personally not interested enough in the subject to sort through 1000's of pages of research again.

Anyhow Just go to pubmed or science direct and do a research related query using key words such as digestive systems efficiency.... I'm confident you'll find several 1000 pages of medical research on the subject, I know they exist as I was a test subject in several of them. If you're looking for a blog post or a face book page or some type of wiki then I sorry but I won't be much help..

With that said I have to ask are you being sincere in your request or sarcastic and disingenuous. After all you don't need to be a PHd to accept the validity of fluctuations in human digestive system efficiency. The evidence is all around us.

We all know that guy who never exercises sleeps all the time yet can gorge himself on whatever he wants yet never gains a single pound (My college roommate), likewise we all know that poor girl who spends hours at the gym eats like a bird makes the mistake of eating a cupcake and gains 5 pounds. Do you really think that thyroid and individual metabolic variations explain these extremes ? of course not !

It would be asinine to assume that everyone's digestive system is the same. There are variables in individual metabolic rate just as there are variables in individual digestive system efficiency. Normally these variables are small enough to be inconsequential other times they are quite substantial,

To the OP the number of calories you get on paper is kinda irrelevant and the system used to estimate it is somewhat inaccurate , While it might be entertaining to track the theoretical calories the average person is supposed to consume you must realize that they are an estimate and far from accurate for 100 percent of the population. It's much more important that you listen to what your own body is telling you. Your body will tell you when you aren't eating enough, If anything its far more important to track things like fiber,fat, cholesterol,sodium and sugar intake rather than generic calories.

To make matters worse many of these websites and devices used to calculate exercise calories do so inaccurately by not compensating and adjusting for basal metabolic rate, this becomes problematic if you eat back your exercise calories because you end up overeating. You can manually compensate for this by dividing your Basel metabolic rate by 24 and subtracting that number for every hour of exercise.

The bottom line is that due to ancestry and genetics it's very possible that your theoretical caloric needs are lower than average.Once again Its best to listen to your own body and what its telling you. If you still have questions and want answers rather than subjective opinion I suggest you consult a Dr. or a recognized expert in the field.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Lol, OP if you really want, shell out the money for that fancy test that measure your exact needs and go from there.
  • CaptBligh001
    edited July 2015
    Options

So people of the same ethnicity need to eat the same amount of food regardless of differences in height, weight, or activity level?! Really?!

And in case there are any other comprehension issues, the person the OP was talking to stated that every female on an ENTIRE CONTINENT has the same caloric needs.

Hmmm interesting interpretation, As my good friend and mentor used to say I think that was a pretty good example of opening your mouth before putting your brain into gear- LOL. Exactly how is his recommendation any different then our national recommendation of 2500 calories a day for men and 2000 calories a day for women. Last time I checked the side of a box of cheerios I didn't recall seeing a recommended caloric intake broken down by age, height and weight.

You really only run into these more precise breakdowns of needed caloric intake with advanced weight loss enthusiasts and body building/fitness enthusiasts or when deemed medically relevant by a physician other than that the average Joe in the US thinks it's 2500 calories a day for men and 2000 calories a day for women. Again I see no difference between this and the basic recommendation given the OP.

Now don't miss understand me I'm not saying that his recommendation is correct he may very well be wrong, what I'm saying is its very irresponsible to make the statement that He's an "idiot" without knowing who "HE" is and without first researching the issue. Then I preceded to provide an argument of why he might be correct. This is the difference between a scientific mentality and an enthusiasts or hobbyist mentality where a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. Unlike hobbyist, Scientists in the search of knowledge and understanding simply don't discount new or contradictory information when it doesn't fit neatly into their current understanding of a subject. If they did we would all still be living in caves..

I learned long ago that when confronted with new information or a new idea that doesn't jive with what I think I know, It's probably best not to react out of emotion but rather to put the brain into drive and evaluate the information as best I can before discounting it.