High blood pressure...HELP

sevetrap488
sevetrap488 Posts: 1 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm in need of help. I had to go to ER b/p was 216/109 doc wants me on meds but he's giving me a month to try and get on track on my own. I starting walking 2 miles but the foods is what's giving me problems seems like everything is high is sodium. Need a diet plan

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited July 2015
    I had a high BP
    You should talk with your doctor about it...dont know what he further said

But i lost weight and i am salt less. So i dont add salt to my cooking
    I cook from scratch

My BP started to drop after 2.5 months and now after 8 months it is like a young dog again 112/72
    And stays stable.

So losing weight CAN help ( not always)
    And going salt less

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    How much sodium are you eating a day?

Maybe your thinking your having a lot when you aren't. Did your doctor tell you to lose weigh and reduce sodium? Or just to lose weight.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    lol hypertensive crisis but no meds?

go see your regular doc

cut out salt, drink more water

but see your general physician asap
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    I'm in need of help. I had to go to ER b/p was 216/109 doc wants me on meds but he's giving me a month to try and get on track on my own. I starting walking 2 miles but the foods is what's giving me problems seems like everything is high is sodium. Need a diet plan

My doctor recommended the DASH diet plan which is designed for people with high blood pressure. There's lots of information online and several books. I would still go speak with your regular doctor and ask about it. You might have accompanying issues you're not aware of yet.
  • AdamImadA
    AdamImadA Posts: 74 Member
    draznyth wrote: »
    lol hypertensive crisis but no meds?

go see your regular doc

cut out salt, drink more water

but see your general physician asap

^^this. Have you been checking your bp since being home?
  • BWBTrish
    Suprisingly meditation actually lowers your blood pressure, I used to have high blood pressure but it has returned to normal now.I suggest everybody learn how to meditate because ever since I have started I have never been happier. I have improved my life drastically. I have an overall sense of peace with myself and the world. My stress levels have gone to an all time low and It even helps me with my anxiety and panic attacks.

If you want to learn how to meditate I suggest you read this story.

http://anxiousreview.com/learnmeditation/

I think it is wiser for the OP with a high BP like that to consult the doctor and discuss what to do.

• Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Definite + 1 here on seeing your own Doctor to discuss the next step from here on in regarding medication to get help with this.

In the long term, certainly there is a lot you can do to help. Lowering your stress levels, increasing your hydration with water, getting in some exercise (again talk to your Doc. about one suitable given your current situation) and losing weight all will help.

Yes, pre-prepared foods often do come with a pretty high sodium price tag - and this is where you can use your culinary skills to start making foods from scratch and even adjusting any previous favourites that are too high in sodium so they fit your needs.

Fresh fruit, veg. and meat are all great choices and the sky is the limit in the inventive and tasty ways you can prepare them.....
  • LuckyMe2017
    LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
    Just cut all added salt.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Suprisingly meditation actually lowers your blood pressure, I used to have high blood pressure but it has returned to normal now.I suggest everybody learn how to meditate because ever since I have started I have never been happier. I have improved my life drastically. I have an overall sense of peace with myself and the world. My stress levels have gone to an all time low and It even helps me with my anxiety and panic attacks.

If you want to learn how to meditate I suggest you read this story.

http://anxiousreview.com/learnmeditation/
    A. It is enough of an issue that medical intervention is necessary too, at least to start
    B. It isn't just general unguided meditation that gives the most benefit. You want to do bio-feedback if you're trying to learn to control blood pressure.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    What are you eating if 'everything' is high sodium?
  • BWBTrish
    OP you can not just cut salt...that can be dangerous too. You have to consult your doctor.
    Weight loss wehn your are overweight can never harm you.

But just cutting away the salt, just like that without medical consult is not a wise thing to do.
    Less salt yes, cut away all salt no.

Ask your doctor!
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited July 2015
    If you're already 216 you need medication right now. Work on exercise and diet later.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 880 Member
    I gained a lot of weight and the result was high blood-pressure. I was on medication for about 2 years. Now, in the last 3 months I've close to 30 lbs. and I'm monitoring my own bp and have stopped taking any drugs as my bp is normal. My doctor is very happy and so am I. If you are overweight, lose weight and it may go down. As far as diet goes, I eat every kind of food, I just don't eat too many calories for my size.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 880 Member
    Also, if your doctor wants you on medication, take it. Otherwise you could be risking a very dangerous situation. You can lose weight while on the medication. Follow your doctor's advice.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited July 2015
    You should really talk to your doctor about medications even if it is temporary.

Have you heard of the DASH diet? It's usually recommended to people with high blood pressure.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/dash-diet/art-20048456
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Watching your sodium with mfp is easy. I keep my level at 2000 mg due to kidney disease and semi high blood pressure. I just prelog and move things around until it gets under 2000. I still have about one day once a week where I go a little over rarely a lot over. My suggestion is prelogging your days.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Water retention from sodium doesn't raise a person's BP that extremely. Exercise and weight loss can help but that is over time. Your Doctor may want to put you on medication until the fitness helps. As a stroke survivor, I implore you to make an appointment ASAP with your regular GP.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited July 2015
    just popping back in to reiterate

all these people talking about diets and sodium and hydration and such

all good things, yes

but you had a hypertensive crisis

manage this with your general physician. they will guide you in the proper direction
  • BWBTrish
    draznyth wrote: »
    just popping back in to reiterate

all these people talking about diets and sodium and hydration and such

all good things, yes

but you had a hypertensive crisis

manage this with your general physician. they will guide you in the proper direction

+1

• NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Your local hospital may have a dietician/nutritionist. You could ask your physician about it.

I was able to lower my blood pressure after a huge scare, I knew what foods were low in sodium though and how to eat well. I learned that over time and through a nutritionist. My doc had wanted to put me on meds but I asked for one month. It took one month for it to get more normal. Again though I am stressing that I knew what to eat because I had gotten outside help prior to that.