Love the Idea of losing weight but can't get myself to sacrafice for it

Options
shennin001
shennin001 Posts: 113 Member
edited July 2015 in Getting Started
I'm 28yrs and need to lose about 70-80lbs. I'm currently 230lbs and 5'5. I had a baby 3 months ago and was already 209lbs when i got prego. I day dream of how beautiful and great it's going to be when i lose weight, but i can't get myself to even do 2 days straight without cheating. I know i can do this it's just so hard to start. Would love to know who's out there that's already past this stage or is like me and just getting started.

Replies

• shennin001
    edited July 2015
    Options
    shennin001 wrote: »
    I'm 28yrs and need to lose about 70-80lbs. I had a baby 3 months ago and was already 209lbs when i got prego. I day dream of how beautiful and great it's going to be when i lose weight, but i can't get myself to even do 2 days straight without of healthy eating without cheating. I know i can do this it's just so hard to start. Would love to know who's out there that's already past this stage or is like me and just getting started.
    !

• julie2407
    julie2407 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I had years of being unhappy with my weight and wanting badly to lose weight but not being able to make myself care enough to control myself. I am really not sure what clicked but it really is all about the headspace. Initially, you really do have to force yourself. I love this quote and I had it pinned on my office wall for the first few months when I started out... "A year from now, you will wish that you had started today".
  • shennin001
    Options
    Thank u!
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I'm 28yrs and need to lose about 70-80lbs. I had a baby 3 months ago and was already 209lbs when i got prego. I day dream of how beautiful and great it's going to be when i lose weight, but i can't get myself to even do 2 days straight without of healthy eating without cheating. I know i can do this it's just so hard to start. Would love to know who's out there that's already past this stage or is like me and just getting started.
    forget to mention im 130lbs now

lol what? I'm confused. Is 130 lbs your goal weight or what? anyways..you either want it or you don't. It's hard initially to say no, I just jumped back onto tracking calories again but what I found that helps is if you get creative in the kitchen with your food. Eat foods high in protein to have you feeling full longer..lower calorie alternatives to what you normally would eat. It really isn't that hard if you want it bad enough.
  • shennin001
    Options
    Oh lol yeah i meant to fix that. That's my dream goal weight. Thanks for the advice.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    230lbs, I assume you mean?

Do it for your kid. Do you want to set your kid on the path to health? Then do it. Do you want to hug your grandbabies and play with them? Then do it. Do you want to be able to keep up with your kid when he's older? Then do it.

3 months is usually a great age to start to develop habits because you're less exhausted from taking care of the baby. Diet first, exercise second. Once you get in the habit of eating a MODEST deficit, start with daily walks in the stroller. Then go faster. :)

A lot of people find it rough to start any regular cardio program. It just seems so impossible to do a lot of the exercises. Leslie Sansone has a lot of "walking" workouts--she calls it that, but basically, they're steady-state calisthenics that are VERY low impact and don't make you get on the floor. If you can walk, you can do them. :) Even better, if you have a fussy kid, you can do most of the stuff WEARING the baby in a Mobiwrap!
  • shennin001
    Options
    Yea very true. I would hate for my baby to have my bad eating habits. Thanks for the motivation.
  • denhar01
    denhar01 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I attended multiple slimming clubs from I was sixteen, on and off for years. I was always losing weight and gaining it back. I got so frustrated because it never seemed to get any easier. Losing weight and maintaining is always difficult for me.

Julie is right- it's all about the headspace. You need to have the right attitude. I lost a lot of weight two years ago and have put 10lbs back on. Be I think to myself 'I'm here, I'm trying'. Take it a day at a time.
  • JAHodgkinson_uk
    JAHodgkinson_uk Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It's okay to have mixed feelings :)

I'm a similar size to you and I'm finding the calorie allowance plus eating exercise calories is really generous. Okay I've made changes and added in lots of vegetables but there are calories left for treats and snacks. Maybe consider which rate of loss calorie allowance you'd find most achievable. You can even mix this up to reflect how you're feeing each week. Like this week I know I have time for lots of exercise so I'm on 2lb loss allowance. If I have a crazy work week coming up or a special event I can change it up to half a pound or even maintain. It's just about feeling in control and keeping things moving in the right direction.

You can do it x
  • shennin001
    Options
    :# thank you! You can do it 2!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    define cheating on your diet?

That might be the issue...and not the cheat but how you view losing weight.

If you look at it as eating the foods you love and crave and want just in smaller portions and that you aren't cheating by eating that food it can help.

It sounds like you are over restricting your intake.

I have lost almost 60lbs...by eating regular foods like chicken, rice, pasta and yes even pizza, burgers, bacon, chocolate, beer....etc.

Check my diary it's all there....
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    What do
    I'm 28yrs and need to lose about 70-80lbs. I'm currently 230lbs and 5'5. I had a baby 3 months ago and was already 209lbs when i got prego. I day dream of how beautiful and great it's going to be when i lose weight, but i can't get myself to even do 2 days straight without cheating. I know i can do this it's just so hard to start. Would love to know who's out there that's already past this stage or is like me and just getting started.

How do you define cheating? I eat chips, chocolate, candy, you name it--and I still get where I want to go because I do it in moderation and it fits within my daily calorie allotment. And if you overdo it? Exercise! Balance the calories out. Make the commitment to living healthy and formulate goals. Set a realistic deficit and make the commitment to stick to it. Weigh and log everything you put into your mouth. The best motivation is seeing progress, so stick with it for a bit and enjoy the ride :smile:
  • HeatherCrazyCat
    HeatherCrazyCat Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It's so hard to get started!
    I am 5'5" and was 215lbs when I first began my journey. Six weeks in and I'm 200lbs and feeling much better already.
    I found that for me, I needed for my emotional "switch" to flick - I was well aware that I had got out of good habits and gained a whole heap of weight, but I was generally very happy regardless, and kept ignoring my creeping weight.
    Then my Dad sat me down and said to me in a heart-to-heart, that he was really concerned for my health and would like me to lose a stone.
    Half an hour later I ran into an old friend I hadn't seen in ages, and boy she was looking awesome! She had lost 5 stone and was just so confident!
    That day was the trigger point for me. the next morning I woke up and felt so differently about everything.
    I've lost the stone that my Dad wanted me to lose, and am happy to keep going until I hit a healthy BMI. The negative cycle has been reversed.
    You CAN do it... you just need something to trigger you.
    Do it for your baby, and for yourself - get as many close friends and family to support and monitor you as you can (I text my weight to my Dad every week and keep track against the progress of other family members).
    I hope that this will be the start of a healthier and happier life for you and your baby :-)
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Well I think success really depends on many factors.

When you first start off do you go crazy and eliminate everything all "bad" foods - sugar, fats, junk, carbs, etc? Just like how you don't start off running a 10k when you've never managed 100m, you should start off with baby steps. Start off cutting off or reducing your sugary drinks to 2-3 times a week if you drink it every, don't drink your calories! It's the easiest way!

Then try not to keep any junk foods in the house. This is because if you're used to eating mindlessly, you will try to 'make up' for the "lost" calories by snacking on junk for the sugar/salt high soft drinks gives you. By emptying out your pantry of junk, you will inconvenience yourself to have to get up, and go to a nearby store to buy it. It's a clever way of using our own laziness against ourselves.

If you can't do that, you can start by storing away ALL junk foods out of sight. Keep them in pantries, in opaque containers. This way when you're foraging for junk during one of your munchies, you have to go through all of these containers. More importantly, there is no visual cue to 'remind' you until you actually get a craving. Keep healthy food 'in sight' like fruit. It's easier to reach for an apple or a pear if it's sitting there.

Swaps! Try to swap one or two high calorie foods for low cal alternatives. If you like fried eggs, swap it to poached. If you have full fat ranch, swap it for balsamic. You don't have to swap EVERYTHING but start off small and slowly increase it as you go along, so you build a habit.

Start moving around more. The more sedentary you are, the less cal you burn! If you have not started building a gym habit, just try to move around more. Take the stairs more often. Fidget more. Aim to walk to a nearby store or park further away to walk to a store. If not, aim to go for a few casual walks with your baby - the greenery and fresh air is good for baby and you! Gym time doesn't necessarily mean you'll lose weight - a 45 min session can be destroyed by one chocolate bar, or a "healthy" smoothie.

If you cannot manage any of these - then you have to ask yourself - am I actually serious? Am I really so deep and set in my mindset that I cannot kickstart a small step? What do I really want to gain from this? Do I want to control my circumstances, or do I let my circumstances control me?

Sometimes, we just need a trigger. For some, it is being told by a doctor that they are diabetic and will have no choice but to spend the rest of our lives on a permanent diet whether we like it or not. Basically no control or choice on the pace you lose weight and get healthy. For others, it is being mocked by someone else in a mean, malicious manner. For others, their willpower and them tiring of their lifestyle is enough motivation.

So maybe time to ask yourself - what motivates you and what do you really want?

• kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I think you need to focus on what you are sacrificing by continue to lead an unhealthy lifestyle.

I would certainly prefer to make changes to my lifestyle than sacrifice my health or sacrifice time that I could spend with my child by dying prematurely.

You have a child now, you owe it to them. You need to be as healthy as possible to provide for your child as long as possible. You need to be healthy to set a positive example for your child so they don't end up being sucked into the cycle of obesity themselves.

You need to make changes to lose weight, but you don't actually have to sacrifice much at all. You can still enjoy the foods you like, in moderation. If you enjoy doing things like watching television shows, maximise the use of your time and exercise during the program.

I have not had to stop doing anything I enjoyed to lose weight. It's about making better decisions.

You just have to toughen up and make it happen.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    When you're ready, you'll do what needs to be done.
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    When you're ready, you'll do what needs to be done.

Yep! I started so many times, then fizzled out so quickly. This time something clicked...I think it may have been my knee from the excess weight, but whatever. I stumbled onto a Youtuber named Shana Emily who was prepping for a competition. Seems crazy that someone as overweight as I would find motivation in someone as fit as her, but I enjoyed her so much as a person that I kept watching. She has a lot of meal prep on her videos so I started doing that, then I moved into taking notes on her workouts. I'm lucky that there is a small gym at work that I could join for a one time fee of $10. It seemed silly not to join for just $10 for a lifetime membership. Things just took off from there. I started doing more lifting than cardio (I do very little cardio), then counting macros. I only joined MFP a few weeks ago, but it's helped so much. I did get my macro info from another site, so I just try to hit my macros every day, which is still a struggle, but I'm learning.

I didn't weigh myself or take my measurements until about a month in, so I'm not sure where I started, but I've lost 9 lbs (not great) but I've lost a couple of inched off my waist and about an inch from each thigh. I've lost about 3 inches from my rib area, you know where your bra band sits.

Not trying to turn this thread into something all about me, but when it clicks, it just does. Maybe stop thinking about it as what you can't have, but what you can have. I think meal prepping would help you so much because I'm sure you're busy with a little one in the house. I just buy a couple of packages of chicken, throw them in the oven with some sweet potatoes, or broccoli. When they come out I use my scale to divide them into portions. I try to do this on Sunday so I have my lunches for the week. If you had already portioned protein, fruit and veggies in the fridge, you could just grab it when you get hungry instead of reaching for that bag of chips, or frozen entree.

• mirlredmann
    mirlredmann Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Simply tracking everything I eat caused me making better choices. I just weigh everything and track, I rarely censor what I am eating and I overate lots and lots of times before I really got involved with thinking about my diet, balancing things out with sport. I am loosing at a very slow rate (1-2ponds a month), but I don't feel rushed, even though I still have 40pounds+ to loose.
  • mirlredmann
    mirlredmann Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    kyrannosaurus (or rather: Tyranno...) you might consider stop bullying people: "you need" to and "you have to" might reflect YOUR view of the world, but nobody asked you to put moral pressure on them.

• Canehdn
    Canehdn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    As someone stated above, what do you mean by cheating?

Maybe define what you're doing to cheat and see what you can do to help with that. For example, if you're eating a lot of junk food, maybe get rid of a bunch of it or ration small helpings of snacks in baggies ahead of time, instead of grabbing a hole box.

That is something I did when I was over 200lbs and it seemed to help a lot. You then can see how many snacks you're eating.

You can do it but you definitely have to be ready.