Bacon anyone?

Options
2»

Replies

• bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I don't have it often, but I like regular bacon. When we have it we get center cut.
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Regular bacon (keeping all the happy in LOL), not too chewy and not too crisp. I like the Costco brand (Kirkland) low sodium bacon.
  • DavisKaren
    DavisKaren Posts: 13
    Options
    Regular bacon is best as long as you eat it in moderation (2-3 slices) once a week. Practice portion control and you won't feel deprived! We should be able to enjoy food as much as we did before experiencing our weight issues as long as we eat healthy on most days, move more and rest for one day. So remember, less is best and keep moving!
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I just bought OSCAR MAYER BACON - READY TO SERVE - BACON THICK CUT FULLY COOKED (sorry for the all caps, I cut and pasted this) and it's only 70 cals for 3 pieces and 5g of fat. Yummmy! And so easy to add to a sandwich or salad.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I don't eat pork, so turkey bacon it is....love Love LOVE turkey bacon....mmmm, that sounds so good =)
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Don't know if I've ever had turkey bacon, but I like my bacon soggy.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I like Coleman's Uncured Hickory Smoked All Natural bacon. I'd rather have full fat, uncured than frankenfood turkey bacon with all the happy taken out. I like it super chewy, barely cooked.

LOL. I like "with all the happy taken out". Never heard that before.

Seriously! Don't you just feel.... SAD when you eat turkey bacon? I mean, REALLY! Arctic Zero "Ice Cream" and fat free greek yogurt has also had all the happy taken out of them.
  • readytoowhere
    readytoowhere Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Morning Star- Veggie Bacon...the flavor is there, but the consistency is strange! ha! its good as a crumble
  • ablueskier
    ablueskier Posts: 104
    Options
    Real Bacon.......Center Cut since it has the lowest fat and gets nice and crispy. 2 slices can be as low as 50 calories :)
  • katyrose221
    katyrose221 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Where can you buy uncured bacon? I haven't seen it at Walmart or the grocery store. What is the flavor like?

I love bacon, the real deal. If it is turkey bacon it has to be super cripsy or it is just gross. Real bacon I can eat either way.
  • silentpost
    silentpost Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    oh man. I'm a big time bacon slut.

Hearty thick cut bacon all the way. not too crunchy, but tender, leaning toward crunchy. I'm of the mind that if you're going to do something, you do it right :)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Where can you buy uncured bacon? I haven't seen it at Walmart or the grocery store. What is the flavor like?

I love bacon, the real deal. If it is turkey bacon it has to be super cripsy or it is just gross. Real bacon I can eat either way.

Oscar Mayer & Hormel both make uncured bacon. All natural, chem-free, happy piggy! They are more expensive than regular bacon, but worth it, IMO
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Options
    Just going to state at the start that I am a Jewish (third generation Russian, I don't practice, but have very strict grandparents that would probably kill me for just typing this) 27-year vegetarian, so take my opinion with a grain of salt if you like!

For me, I would just go with real and high quality in moderation for everything that you enjoy but might be unhealthy in large amounts. Get it from a butcher or from a good organic retailer and really savor it. Thick or thin, crispy or chewy, peppered or maple cured is all up to personal taste just as long as it is from a good source, has a nice rind of fat and tastes like an actual pig.

However, if you know you are going to eat it more often then go for a leaner, lower fat option and try to prepare it in a healthy way that eliminates a lot of the grease.

Just an opinion.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    Regular bacon is healthier than turkey bacon. Not to mention that it's bacon. BACON!
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Regular bacon, crispy! (my husband is allergic to poultry, so turkey bacon would be just cruel!:wink: )
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Bacon isn't bacon unless it comes from a pig. I don't want it burnt to a crisp but like it a little crunchy.
  • kgool
    kgool Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My order of preference real pork bacon > virtual bacon > shoe leather > turkey bacon > old tires > tofu bacon > getting stabbed in the eye with a pair of scissors. I might even reverse the last two in order. I also like bacon crumbles on vanilla ice cream. This is the eighth deadly sin.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Real Bacon. Turkey bacon is just a travesty! Wright's peppered bacon is my favorite.