my diet doesn't seem to be working

Options
2»

Replies

• kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I suspect if you're not willing to open your diary you know your logging is flawed.

The reason you are not losing weight is because you are not eating a calorie deficit. Tighten your logging.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I suspect if you're not willing to open your diary you know your logging is flawed.

The reason you are not losing weight is because you are not eating a calorie deficit. Tighten your logging.

I would agree. Why do people ask for help but then are so vague or secretive about their specifics that is is impossible to offer anything but an overall guess? Op....if you truly have no idea why you are not losing weight open your diary and fully answer the questions people ask so they can give you informed opinions. If you are afraid of what people are going to say or or worried about people being critical of your diet then there is no point in posting a question like this on a public forum. Perhaps you already know your answer.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    cookson22 wrote: »
    I don't seem to be loosing any weight, I've been on a diet for a few weeks now and I don't see any benefits, I know it's not going to happen straight away but surely I should of seen something, has anyone got any information please?
    Im weighing my foods but most of the time I don't reach my target, sometimes I'm quite a lot under my calorie count?
    I am 5'5 and weigh 12 stone 6 pounds, I stick to 1400 calories a day with light exercise
    Ioras88 wrote: »
    Quick question:
    WHERE are you gaining 'inches'? Where do your clothes fit tighter? At your arms? Thighs?
    Since you're a man:
    Do you have an opportunity to get your body fat percentage and muscle mass checked? Men usually build up muscle quite fast so the reason why you won't see much difference on your scale (now, at the beginning), could be - as weird as it sounds - that you're simply building up muscle faster than you're losing fat.

So yeah, my best idea is that your muscle mass is growing. Kind of an ideal situation since developed muscles are always nice to have.
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Ioras88 wrote: »
    Quick question:
    WHERE are you gaining 'inches'? Where do your clothes fit tighter? At your arms? Thighs?
    Since you're a man:
    Do you have an opportunity to get your body fat percentage and muscle mass checked? Men usually build up muscle quite fast so the reason why you won't see much difference on your scale (now, at the beginning), could be - as weird as it sounds - that you're simply building up muscle faster than you're losing fat.

So yeah, my best idea is that your muscle mass is growing. Kind of an ideal situation since developed muscles are always nice to have.

He has only been trying to lose weight for a few weeks...he says he is only eating 1400 calories...he only does light exercise.

Someone is not going to build up muscle mass faster than they are losing fat under those conditions.

I think you're getting me and another guy rolled into one?

My response to @loras88 was based on your above statements. I don't know who loras88 was directing their response to but since you started this thread I assumed it was to you.

• cookson22
    cookson22 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »

I would agree. Why do people ask for help but then are so vague or secretive about their specifics that is is impossible to offer anything but an overall guess? Op....if you truly have no idea why you are not losing weight open your diary and fully answer the questions people ask so they can give you informed opinions. If you are afraid of what people are going to say or or worried about people being critical of your diet then there is no point in posting a question like this on a public forum. Perhaps you already know your answer.

I've only just started using this app because I friend said this community would help, I have been dieting with writing my calories down. So If I knew how to share this diary there would be nothing to look at seen as I was only told about this app this morning!!!!!!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

I've only just started using this app because I friend said this community would help, I have been dieting with writing my calories down. So If I knew how to share this diary there would be nothing to look at seen as I was only told about this app this morning!!!!!!

That would have been helpful info at the outset. Since you're not logging yet, there's no need to open your diary since there's nothing to learn there.

Do these things:
    1. Set your stats and weight loss goals appropriately in MFP, don't be more aggressive than necessary. 2 lbs/wk is only appropriate if you're quite obese.
    2. Get a food scale. Weigh everything possible and log accurately.
    3. Eat up to your calorie goal in MFP. Eating way less doesn't get you bonus points.
    4. Be patient, it will take 2-3 weeks to learn and get a routine that suits you and start to see real results.
  • cookson22
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

That would have been helpful info at the outset. Since you're not logging yet, there's no need to open your diary since there's nothing to learn there.

Do these things:
    1. Set your stats and weight loss goals appropriately in MFP, don't be more aggressive than necessary. 2 lbs/wk is only appropriate if you're quite obese.
    2. Get a food scale. Weigh everything possible and log accurately.
    3. Eat up to your calorie goal in MFP. Eating way less doesn't get you bonus points.
    4. Be patient, it will take 2-3 weeks to learn and get a routine that suits you and start to see real results.
    Thank you, I have set my stats up now and will be using the app, I'm new to all this so don't know if what I have been doing is correct but this will help
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Good luck. MFP is a tool and it does take time to learn how to use well, but it works if you apply it right.

You will have questions as you go forward, people here are generally helpful when you ask, but it always helps to give as much context as possible so you can help them focus on the right things.
  • cookson22
    Options
    Thanks guys, I will give it all a read and make sure I stick to logging correctly
  • Healthexp693
    Healthexp693 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    vmccourt wrote: »
    I can commensurate with you. I have been on the site for over a month now and have lost only .8 of a pound. I eat back my exercise calories, but manage to stay around 1300 calories a day. I eat only organic foods, no breads, rice of any kind, pasta or the like. My dairy is limited to splash of milk in a cup of coffee in the morning. I drink my water quota daily, and do a 3 mile run/walk three days a week combined with free weight lifting. I also do Vinyasa yoga three days as well. I am quite active. I am not losing inches, in fact my clothes are tighter. I feel like I should weigh about 50 pounds instead of the 155 I weigh at 5'5". Help!

• Healthexp693
    Options
    vmccourt wrote: »
    I can commensurate with you. I have been on the site for over a month now and have lost only .8 of a pound. I eat back my exercise calories, but manage to stay around 1300 calories a day. I eat only organic foods, no breads, rice of any kind, pasta or the like. My dairy is limited to splash of milk in a cup of coffee in the morning. I drink my water quota daily, and do a 3 mile run/walk three days a week combined with free weight lifting. I also do Vinyasa yoga three days as well. I am quite active. I am not losing inches, in fact my clothes are tighter. I feel like I should weigh about 50 pounds instead of the 155 I weigh at 5'5". Help!
  • Healthexp693
    Options
    Hi I am a biomedical scientist with expertise in human health. You are elminating whole food groups from your diet. The Ida that carbs are bad is a myth. The idea that dairy is bad is not scientifically supported. Yes losing weight is a matter of calories consumed versus calories expended - but it is more complicated then that. A starvation diet eliminating carbohydrates will lower your metabolism. Eliminating whole food groups can lead to vitamin and mineral deficiencies.