Am I the only person who loves Subway and uses it to help weight loss?

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
edited July 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Subway works so well for me! I can eat a 3" sub with half a bag of chips (with bottled water) and feel like I'm being treated at only 400 calories. My boyfriend, however, says he can eat 2 footlong subs and it does nothing for him. lol. My dad says similar, so I'm wondering if I'm one of very few person who feels full from Subway? I'm a vegetarian and they have about four different options for me (egg whites, veggie patty, veggie delight, falafel). I have tried weight loss many times and the times I used Subway a few times a week (or once a day even) with exercise were the most successful. It seems to keep me from getting bored too. & please spare me of how the bread is processed. Yes, I don't eat full clean, but it also is more vegetables than I usually would get in one meal, even as a vegetarian. So, anyone else share my guilty pleasure (or have one of their own)?

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I don't like Subway, but if it's working for you, I see no reason for guilt!
    As long as you're in a calorie deficit-you will lose.
    Great that you found something you enjoy!
  • michaelabennet
    michaelabennet Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love subway too. Up until 2 months ago the nearest one to me was 20 miles away, now I have 2 in my town i'm spoilt for choice.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if i want a sub, I'd rather have jersey mikes LOLOL

theres no reason for fast food not to work for you. we eat out all the time and I still lose about 2 lbs/ week. its all about what you plan for....
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I love Subway, and it makes me feel full forever--I don't see how it's different from making your own sub at home, so if it doesn't fill them up maybe they just have reeeeally large appetites? ;)
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I had a Subway chopped salad with added guacamole yesterday for lunch...delicious! The volume of food was huge for very low calories. I couldn't even finish it. Thumbs up for Subway!
  • Davide0910
    Davide0910 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    These sort of places are great (but unhealthy, as you said due to processing and salt levels) because you can choose exactly what you want and instantly have a calorie value to be able to log. You don't have to worry about weighing food or measuring or anything. Counter-intuitively, I find it so much easier to stick to calorie goals by eating this sort of stuff.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. :blush: Glad it's not just me! I thought I was nuts. haha. & my appetite is usually bigger than my boyfriend's or dad's @Susieq_1994 but for some reason Subs just fill me! I could not afford all of those veggies on my own and use them before they went bad, so it's super convenient for me. @funjen1972 that sounds delicious. I've never tried their salad oddly! @Davide0910 Yes, me too! No idea why..maybe that is it. Easy to log and still I can pick it all out myself. I love chips so being able to get a snack with my sandwich doesn't hurt either. I bought one sub for 7 dollars and it basically lasted me four meals. :smiley:
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You know, I’ve never *loved* Subway, but some of their options aren’t bad at all (in terms of calories for your buck/taste) - especially if you’re careful with those creamy sauces. I’m glad it’s working for you!

My favourite fast food place, though, is Wendy’s: their value menu grilled chicken wraps are 260 cals (220 if you sub regular mustard for the honey mustard) for 18g protein, 10g of fat, and they’re under $2. I love their salads too, but they’re more expensive...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. I hate Subway's bread so I never eat there anymore.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, why not?

Personally I'm not a fan of Subway. But that's just me. And the fact that the ones near me have awful people working there. And that I'm a chicken fan but dislike the grilled chicken option because it's not the best chicken out there. But again, that's me.

If it works for you, who cares what others think!
  • Jenfromtheblock84
    Jenfromtheblock84 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I worked there as a teenager and hated it for a while, but after 10 years I think I've fallen back in love. I use it for some lunch days. I always get the 6" Turkey on wheat with no cheese. Mustard, lettuce, onions, green peppers, and cucumbers and you can ask them to hollow out the bread and it saves you about 50 calories.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I only eat food from a restaurant once a week so I wouldn't say I use a particular restaurant to help me lose weight. Sometimes I get Subway. I am fine with a 6" sub and nothing else.
  • LacednLace
    LacednLace Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Their double chopped chicken salad is delicious. I love their subs but it takes a chunk out of my daily allowance.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Jared?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    Jared?

Just beat me to it...
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I love being able to load up on as many veggies as can fit on a sub. I only get the footlong one when I go. No cheese, no mayo nor any calorie laden sauce, and usually have the chicken breast. When they put miniscule veggies, I ask for more (they never refuse that request) until I'm happy and it keeps me very full. I rarely have any chips with a sub. .. maybe once or twice a year.

I don't go often, but it does work as a smart, occasional fast food choice for me.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    You know, I’ve never *loved* Subway, but some of their options aren’t bad at all (in terms of calories for your buck/taste) - especially if you’re careful with those creamy sauces. I’m glad it’s working for you!

My favourite fast food place, though, is Wendy’s: their value menu grilled chicken wraps are 260 cals (220 if you sub regular mustard for the honey mustard) for 18g protein, 10g of fat, and they’re under $2. I love their salads too, but they’re more expensive...
    If I ate meat...that sounds delicious.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I worked there as a teenager and hated it for a while, but after 10 years I think I've fallen back in love. I use it for some lunch days. I always get the 6" Turkey on wheat with no cheese. Mustard, lettuce, onions, green peppers, and cucumbers and you can ask them to hollow out the bread and it saves you about 50 calories.

Do they do that? I'd feel weird asking, but that's a cool idea lol
  • Verity1111
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    Jared?

Just beat me to it...
    Bahaha... I wish I'd lost as much weight as him so far.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i am a vegetarian as well, and I love subway!